La San Marco Sprint 95 E (2 Group)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• La San Marco Sprint 95 E (2 Group)

I have just inherited a 2 group La San Marco the model stamped on the compliance plate is Sprint 95 E. With a manufacture date of 2000.
    It says it draws 4.5 kw however i only have a 15 amp socket for the 20A plug (i believe i need a 20A - how much of an issue will this be?) Further to this i have read about taking out one element to make it compliant with 10a or 15a plugs - where are the elements to remove?

I have opened it up and it looks quite tidy - I have an ECM Giotto and know a little about these machines but not much! Lastly i am trying to get an approximate value - i may hang on to it but it may not be worth my while - definitely not as a home machine drawing 15-20 Amps!!

RG

Re: La San Marco Sprint 95 E (2 Group)

Staying strictly within the confines of the questions asked.

You cant fit a 20 amp plug into a 15 amp socket...the active and neutral posts on the 20 amp plug are bigger than the corresponding slots in the 15 amp socket. If you fit a 15 amp plug to an appliance that draws 20 amps and plug it in, you will a) keep tripping out he circuit breaker or b) overheat the wiring with possibility of starting a fire.  It would also get you in trouble with the authorities, and void your house insurance. So I would say...its an insurmountable issue.

If you have been unable to interpret information you have read about "taking out" part of the element,  I would stay well clear and pay a requisite qualified serviceman to do it for you. Electricity kills, and to have such a modification done professionally will be money well spent in terms of your safety and that of your family and friends that may touch the machine from time to time.  A professionally done job may also circumvent the real possibility of a future electrical fire starting in an electrical appliance where the wiring has been "DI Yourselfed".

An 11 year old commercial espresso machine has no value in the industry, although it may have value to home users that like to have a commercial machine at home. There is no figure for value, it is worth whatever someone may be willing to pay, and what one person may be willing to pay is different to what someone else may be willing to pay.

Only you can decide whether it is worth your while to keep in view of its physical size, electrical draw, and its overall "convenience" factor (and also, if it isnt complete are you prepared to buy new replacement parts for a machine where you do not know the value until you "test the water" by trying to sell).

Hope that helps.

Attilio

Comment

If the main boiler has 2 elements disconnecting 1 would probably bring the machine down to 15amps. But you would need a clamp on ammeter to measure the current - plus open up the machine to find the element connections: all well within the capabilities of an A grade electrician.

Try to get a schematic of the machine which will show the boiler elements and maybe even their ratings.

As mentioned above you need to be 100% confident with all parts operational the machine doesnt exceed your wall plug rating.

Comment

awesome feedback people thanks for your to the point responses. Is there anyone electrically minded that knows how difficult it is to put in a 20A socket (either replacing a 15A or a standard 10A). I mean the difficulty for the electrician(expensive process?).

Just switching to Grinders for a sec i also scored a Brevetto Mazzer Mestre - it is a little old and banged up but blades seem ok and it definitely grinds fine. It has a doser on the front that is a little banged up - is it possible to replace this doser with a doserless chute? I might post in the grinder section......

Comment

the sparky would need to run a new & separate cable from the switchboard- yep will cost ya.

theres an unlikely/outside possibility the cable is big enough for 20A in which case he could change over the wall socket at the machine and the circuit breaker for a 20A in the switchboard.

Originally posted by 5467726C4A577467726C150 link=1324030408/3#3 date=1324083112
          awesome feedback people thanks for your to the point responses. Is there anyone electrically minded that knows how difficult it is to put in a 20A socket (either replacing a 15A or a standard 10A). I mean the difficulty for the electrician(expensive process?).

Just switching to Grinders for a sec i also scored a Brevetto Mazzer Mestre - it is a little old and banged up but blades seem ok and it definitely grinds fine. It has a doser on the front that is a little banged up - is it possible to replace this doser with a doserless chute? I might post in the grinder section......

Comment

out of interest with this machine to test it (once i find the right power source!) can i have it draw water from a container using the hoses on the machine? to save getting it plumbed in i mean.

Rob

Comment

out of intesrest i did a serach and found this pdf which looks like your model.
              page 37 shows the various electrical options and it seems by removing a black wire ( one heating element) you can reduce power by 2/3.

see if this manual relates to your machine....

Comment

I might be a bit late here but the 95 sprint is actually 15 amp, someone may have just put a 20 amp plug on it but even the full size 95 2 group runs 15 amp. We have installed hundreds of these with 15 amp plugs.

go to La san marco website and look up the tech data for the 85 (internally the same as 95). look up the sprint on page 24. it only has a 4.9 ltr boiler drawing 3kw , it does have a 3 phase option that draws 4.5, dont think this would be the yours!!

Comment

by the way, as a 2 grp home machine, its a good one, only struggles if you take too much water out for tea

Comment

Working...
                  X