Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting to reassemble boiler...

Hi,
    I am beginning the reassembly of the La Cimbali I am rebuilding. It appears that some of the joints for elements and level switches which bolt to the boiler, have had a sealant on them. Maybe silicon? A quick search on the internet suggests that a lot of silicon sealants are good for 175+C, is this what is used or is there a preferred option?
    Thanks

Lee

Re: Starting to reassemble boiler...

We prefer to assemble using good old plumbers tape.

Dont electrocute yourself there

Comment

This is the faces between assemblies that bolt up to the boiler, not pipes, as an example the element.
      Do you use plumbers tape for these?

I am an electronics tech by trade (over 30 years) but if I have to go, I expect this would be the way I would want to be remembered

Comment

I would say plumbers tape would only be for sealing threads. Element to boiler is usually a gasket/seal if its like my machine.

Have you had a look on coffeeparts? They have diagrams of machines and sell seals etc.

Cheers

Comment

There are gaskets between the surfaces but there also appears to be a thin coat of silicon as well, not just one but all of them. I am guessing its factory.

Comment

Yeah it appears I misunderstood the question. Oops!

I dont see a problem with using a ***thin / light*** smear of high temp silicon sealant as and where you think it may be helpful with gaskets, or even loktite "fig jam" (the number escapes me but thats what we call it) sealant...again only as a very light smear on a gasket. If its not coming into direct contact with anything we are going to injest, its good stuff and doesnt go hard so can be helpful some time down the track if there is a necessity to disassemble.

And yes we have used plumbers tape on element threads in troublesome fitments in addition to the gaskets supplied.  Some machines (whose names shall remain anonymous) over the years  have been known for their never sealing "non mating" mating surfaces!

Comment

Working...
            X