Vibiemme DomoBar Super Double Boiler PID

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vibiemme DomoBar Super Double Boiler PID

Finally completed my upgrade this weekend to the VBM Super DB PID V3. Previous machine was a VBM Junior HX. Loving the machine so far with the main advantages being the super quiet rotary pump, steam power galore and greatly improved temperature stability. While a cleansing flush is still part of the drill its also nice to say goodbye to the cooling flush that was part and parcel of the Junior HX.

I havent seen much discussion recently on this machine and was just curious if there are many other VBM Super DB owners out there in the CoffeeSnob world and what the experience has been like?

Mandatory pic below standing proudly next to the Super Jolly...

Re: Vibiemme DomoBar Super Double Boiler PID

These look like great machines and have been available in the USA for at least a couple of years. There hasnt been much discussion of them in Oz because AFAIK they have not been imported into Australia. A great pity in my opinion. How did you get your hands on yours?

Comment

They are now being imported into Australia by ECA.

Comment

Originally posted by 7F74736C7572747D69796E1C0 link=1336909178/1#1 date=1336947884
        There hasnt been much discussion of them in Oz because AFAIK they have not been imported into Australia. A great pity in my opinion. How did you get your hands on yours?
        Originally posted by 7E7972727968681C0 link=1336909178/2#2 date=1336948011
        They are now being imported into Australia by ECA.
        Yes- Correct.

There have been significant changes and we are now at V3. This is the first version which has met ECAs standards for quality, reliability and servicability.

I had a play with a V1 and killed it in an hour. Element replacement for the steam boiler required removal of the boiler from the machine. This would have resulted in $$$ repair costs if and when. All in all, just one example as to why its frequently prudent to wait. We held off on the Alex Duetto until V2 for similar reasons.

I know for a fact Charlie and Deb have a DB on the Jetblack demo bench- as do we. Other sponsors may also have demo machines.

Comment

Yes weve got one on the bench. I think its status is still "display" rather than demo as we havent pulled a shot on it yet. We have scaced it though and it returned some really impressive results.

charlie

Comment

These look like great machines and have been available in the USA for at least a couple of years. There hasnt been much discussion of them in Oz because AFAIK they have not been imported into Australia. A great pity in my opinion. How did you get your hands on yours?
            It is a great machine. I much prefer the simple design over some of the other double boilers around. Im currently based in Singapore and got this one through a local supplier.

Comment

I love the Vibiemme look and have the Super Domobar HX mechanica but this one you have is my upgrade-itis next move.
              Great setup you have there, in fact it is my home based dream setup. The VBM DB with the mini mazzer on demand grinder. ;D

Comment

Originally posted by 103D1711161B620 link=1336909178/6#6 date=1337073157
                I love the Vibiemme look and have the Super Domobar HX mechanica but this one you have is my upgrade-itis next move.
                Great setup you have there, in fact it is my home based dream setup. The VBM DB with the mini mazzer on demand grinder. ;D
                Thanks r_usty. Im hoping this will be my last upgrade for a while but stranger things have happened. There were definitely enough benefits for me to make the upgrade from Junior HX to Super DB and so far Im very happy to have made the move. The most difficult thing so far is trying to break my cooling flush habit  8-)

Comment

Originally posted by 5478717172726F677663170 link=1336909178/7#7 date=1337091061
                  The most difficult thing so far is trying to break my cooling flush habit
                  When a good HX machine is set up properly, there is no need for a cooling flush. Used to cool flush my Silvia, then BZ07, but when I got my VBM Jr from Talk Coffee, who bench tests everything he sends out, Ive said goodbye to cooling flushes ever since. Thats why its important to buy your equipment from people who know what theyre doing.

Having said that, very nice looking kit 8-) and Im sure youre having fun with the ability to manipulate our brew temperature for different coffees / roasts depths.

Gavin.

Comment

Originally posted by 666077686F010 link=1336909178/8#8 date=1337387154
                    Originally posted by 5478717172726F677663170 link=1336909178/7#7 date=1337091061
                    The most difficult thing so far is trying to break my cooling flush habit
                    When a good HX machine is set up properly, there is no need for a cooling flush.
                    Sounds like you have a well set up rig Gavin. Out of curiosity are you saying that even if your machine is sitting idle, say for 2 hours, that no cooling flush is required?

Comment

My Vibiemme Super Lever can be at idle for 2 days and not require a cooling flush  8-)

charlie

Comment

But the heat exchanger is sitting in boiling water. Water in the coil will eventually equalise with the water in the boiler. The group will cool the brew water to a point, but the fact is that the water passes through the e61 too quickly to have a substantial effect.

Is there something im missing? i dont understand why even a well set up HX wouldnt require a cooling flush. It is inherent in the design of a HX to require water sitting idle in the heat exchanger to be flushed.

Comment

Originally posted by 3D202424302B490 link=1336909178/11#11 date=1337407567
                          Is there something im missing?
                          Yes.

Originally posted by 3D202424302B490 link=1336909178/11#11 date=1337407567
                          It is inherent in the design of a HX to require water sitting idle in the heat exchanger to be flushed.
                          No. It is what you get with a HX that hasnt been designed and calibrated properly.

Comment

What is is im missing then? How do you calibrate the HX coil to not boil the idle water?

Its not like you insulate the heat exchanger...

Comment

Originally posted by 3C212525312A480 link=1336909178/13#13 date=1337416494
                              What is is im missing then?
                              A good 5 or 10 years

Have a read up about thermosyphon restriction

Comment

Working...
                              X