Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Re: La Cimbali Junior D Restoration - Help Appreciated :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: La Cimbali Junior D Restoration - Help Appreciated :)

Hi Guys

I have just acquired a La Cimbali Junior D!
    It appears to be an ancient model with bakelite handles?
    If anyone can give me some advice that would be great as i have never restored anything like this before.
    Dont know if I am crazy or not to attempt this but should be fun... I hope 

Edited to reduce image file size for our bandwidth challenged users. Please keep pictures to about 100kb file size

Re: La Cimbali Junior D Restoration

Hi,
    Does it work at all?
    Or is it a complete rebuild?

Comment

I havent even tried to start it up yet as i dont have the right fitting for the tap hose. So not sure what condition its in. But i am suspecting its broken.
      Here are some more pics of the inside

Edited to reduce image file size for our bandwidth challenged users. Please keep pictures to about 100kb file size

Comment

Lots of surface rust and gunk.
        Below is the left side view

Comment

The right side - a bit blurry

Comment

Bits under the boiler

Comment

See the floor pan!
              Its rusted out bad, so will need to source a new one somehow
              Rang a few parts places but they dont have them, they suggested i get a sheet metal place to fabricate one but i bet its $$$...
              The front right leg popped right through the rust when i put it on the table so yeah...

Comment

Also noticed this dodgy looking sheath, hope its not woven asbestos 
                Can anyone help identify it?
                Also Im in Perth does anyone know a cheap fabricator or happen to have a "spare" cimbali Jr floor pan just lying around... ;D

Comment

I think i know why there is so much rust in the floor pan!

Comment

Re: La Cimbali Junior D Restoration - Help Appreciated

Its Aliiiive!
                    Well sort of, it turns on and I hear a healthy hum, but turned it off quick as I have not been able to attach flowing water but a good start.

... And yes the particles under the machine are flaked off bits of rust  :

Comment

A word of caution - you need to establish whether theres water in the boiler before you go switching things on willy nilly. Id suggest pulling one of the terminals off the element (with the machine UNPLUGGED of course) until you can make sure the autofill is doing its thing.

Comment

La Cimbali Junior D Restoration - Help Appreciated

Thanks Rick
                        Yeah the boiler has some water in it as i heard it sloshing around when i moved it into my car
                        But I was worried about doing damage so only had it turned on for literally about 5 seconds.
                        Wont be turning it on again until I have the water connection for it.
                        Hopefully nothing was harmed from when I tested it quickly :-/

Comment

Ok Some progress.
                          I still dont have the right plumbing fittings but got impatient, so I cable tied my garden hose onto the water feed line from the machine.

Comment

So I then fired the old gal up, and was surprised to see the water reservoir fill up...

Comment

The little ball in the glass viewer went to the top out of site, and the boiler started to boil...

Comment

Working...
                              X