Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would you replate the inside of the boiler?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would you replate the inside of the boiler?

I am rebuilding my LaCimbali M30, I notice that the inside of the boiler and the hx tubes are back to bare copper, would you leave it or get it replated?
    I am guessing that it is inox or nickel.

thanks

Lee

Re: Would you replate the inside of the boiler?

As far as I am aware nothing is plated inside, only sometimes on the outside and that is not compulsory by any means.

Comment

The LaCimbali appears to be platted on the inside, the hx tube are also silver inside and out except where they are back to copper.

Comment

Copper has some toxicity, although it usually only occurs if acidic food is cooked in copper pots and pans. Normal water would absorb only a minimal amount.

Nickel is much more toxic, and a potent allergen.

Greg

Comment

My inclination would be to not replate, plate eventually wears off (as you can see from your boiler) and depending on what the plate is that means potential nastiness in your water.

As GregWormald says, Nickel is more likely than copper to do "bad things" (tm) (its more reactive than copper) so Id be inclined to leave it as raw copper, plenty of machines (in fact, Id think the vast majority) out there with unplated copper/brass boiler interiors.

Comment

Thanks for the replies, I have found a few posts that are making me wonder whether it is a stainless boiler with copper staining or a copper boiler with plating coming off...

Lee

Comment

unlikely on both counts>

Comment

Originally posted by 6F6E606F6271666D030 link=1339479101/0#0 date=1339479101
                leave it or get it replated?
                I am guessing that it is inox or nickel.
                I have never seen or heard of "inox" ( S Steel ?) plating.

Comment

Working...
                X