Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BoEma 2 group lever machine (possible rebuild) - madness?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BoEma 2 group lever machine (possible rebuild) - madness?

Hi All.

Was in a cafe this morning, and saw a lever machine in the back office. Asked about it, and was told it works, but is missing group handles. Willing to let it go for $300. It looks like it needs minimal work, so I am wondering if getting the machine is worth it.

I am aware that there is a chance of asbestos with this machine, but it looks to be in reasonable condition, if it does work. I see coffeeparths stocks spares for it anyway. The lady told me I could bring it back if it was not

I would like to get some feedback on these machines. Are they any good (as a second machine to befriend my Rocket Giotto), or are they coffee burners as some of the other Bo-Ema machines seem to be? Andy was raving on here about the quality of the coffee at Elevensys at one point, and I found a picture of the machine they had. Loos very much like this guy, but a bit more classic/older.

Anyonone have any other info on them, including manuals and whatnot?

Here are some pics.

Re: BoEma 2 group lever machine (possible rebuild) - madness?

That seems like a bargin too me, if you dont want it send it over to Perth Ive been hunting for a 2group lever

Comment

Im restoring an older version of that machine at the moment, theyre not quite the build quality or aesthetics of a vintage Gaggia or Faema, but theres certainly nothing wrong with them either. When its given a bit of TLC and up and running, itll behave just like any other commercial lever group.

The groups are based on Astoria, so as you noticed coffeeparts carry things like springs, seals and showerscreens. Its very likely that some or all of the seals in the valves and groups will need to be replaced, but everything is possible, just time consuming if you want to do things properly. You might have a challenge finding suitable group handles - they dont look like anything Ive come across before, but again youll be able to sort something out even if it requires getting something thats close and re-machining it.

I would say the boiler is unlikely to be insulated, but some of the fibre washers in the valves are asbestos.

Comment

If you decide against the restoration project, Id be interested to know where it is at that price

Comment

I also have the older one. This is very much based on memory......but there could(?) be a sheet of asbestos insulation lying between the boiler and the front (client side) of the body.....

In any case take care.

Comment

Originally posted by 7E656F67536E6362680C0 link=1340768252/2#2 date=1340770410
            I would say the boiler is unlikely to be insulated, but some of the fibre washers in the valves are asbestos.
            Thanks,

So whats the go with replacing these? Do I need to get someone in to do them, and if so, who? I definately do not want to mess around with asbestos.

If the machine was in use till just recently, then they would have been replaced, Even if not recently, surely they must have phased the fibre washers out at some point, right?? Seems like a super dangerous place to put asbestos washers!!!! (I did notice both steam wands were loose, and tightened them a bit both by hand - hope no evil asbestos was released into the atmosphere...

Anyway, I just went down again, and cracked her open for a look. It looks super simple inside - compared to the La Pavoni I rebuilt a while back.

I did notice that there is no pump or motor. Do these use pumps/motors, or do they rely on positive ware pressure from the plumbing?

More pics:

Comment

Being a lever I expect the boiler fill works on mainline pressure (group pressure comes from your arm ), if you want to run it non-plumbed youll need an external pump with some form of pressure limiting.

It doesnt seem to have the slab of asbestos that Attillo mentioned on the client-side of the boiler at least, your main concern is the potential for asbestos washers but at least if theyre present its a minimal amount of asbestos to get rid of.

Comment

Originally posted by 76717B77180 link=1340768252/0#0 date=1340768252
                I would like to get some feedback on these machines. Are they any good (as a second machine to befriend my Rocket Giotto), or are they coffee burners as some of the other Bo-Ema machines seem to be?
                What makes you say Boemas are coffee burners? It is more likely the nut behind the wheel, not the machine. I, and a number of people I know, have  and still use Boemas for home and office machines, without any problems whatsoever. No burning experiences. Of course the machines have been serviced by a Boema technician. I find the machine fairly temp stable, and can pull shot after shot with no issues.Too much rubbish on the internet.

As to the lever machines, no pumps, just plumb it in with a pressure reducing valve. There are some cafes around (cannot remember their names) that have these machines, and they do serve good coffee. There are mixed reviews and comments that I have read about these machines ( I was considering buying one last year), but until you set it up and do side by side comparisons it is not possible to judge.

To be honest, for $300 and your time, I think it would be a great project. If you grow tired of the look, this machine can be pimped up, chromed etc. I do not think it will have the antique value of an old Gaggia, but it can be nicely restored. Prior to use I would get a lever expert (someone like The Coffee Man) to fine tune it for you.

After that, you begin a completely different learning curve, and a whole new exciting coffee journey.

Very very tempting....

Comment

Re: ".....What makes you say Boemas are coffee burners? It is more likely the nut behind the wheel, not the machine. I, and a number of people I know, have  and still use Boemas for home and office machines, without any problems whatsoever. No burning experiences. Of course the machines have been serviced by a Boema technician. I find the machine fairly temp stable, and can pull shot after shot with no issues.Too much rubbish on the internet....."

Yes thats true ("...Too much rubbish on the internet...") however in this case I am afraid it depends entirely on the model years of production. The nut behind the group handle and regular service would not I am afraid tame the offending models, and its most likely that you and your acquantainces have later model machines with which I agree, there is no problem in that department.

This simply brings to light the problem with people buying any old rubbish in and around evil "auction" sites and coming into these sites and wanting others to pat them on the back for acquiring such things...which they do (pat them on the back), because they dont have the requisite experience to know what models were good coffee machines and what models were absolute rubbish, and seem to think that any old coffee machine is a classic....which it aint.

As to this lever machine, my opinion is they have some value in that they are made in Australia and will keep some householder very happy.

It looks pretty clean and I would give it a go, for its "Australian value".  And if you came to my roastery and offered it to me I would probably buy it for that reason.

Certainly the earlier models with real bodies (instead of these plate sides and front) were far prettier, but people buying used equipment have to take what they can get when they can get it.

Nico...honestly, stop asking questions and just buy the bloody thing, rebuild and service as necessary (dont fix things that aint broke), give it a polish (I hate it when people "restore" things to a condition way beyond the original standard of the time whether it be coffee machines, motorcycles, cars etc), and ENJOY THE THING for what it is, a piece of Australian espresso machine history, in substancially original condition. My opinion is that is where the value is, in promoting the preservation of things in substantially good original condition,....not by "restoring" the beegeezuz out of stuff and making it look like it was bought new this morning complete with the quality of finish that wasnt being done in yesteryear 

Preservation not restoration, thats just my opinion, and I hope that helps.

Comment

I have a Boema Single group with serial number S-19 (single group no.19) from the Lakemba factory. The crema cafe is a great piece of Australian history.

Comment

I've also got one.....

Originally posted by nico View Post
                      Hi All.

Was in a cafe this morning, and saw a lever machine in the back office. Asked about it, and was told it works, but is missing group handles. Willing to let it go for $300. It looks like it needs minimal work, so I am wondering if getting the machine is worth it.

I am aware that there is a chance of asbestos with this machine, but it looks to be in reasonable condition, if it does work. I see coffeeparths stocks spares for it anyway. The lady told me I could bring it back if it was not

I would like to get some feedback on these machines. Are they any good (as a second machine to befriend my Rocket Giotto), or are they coffee burners as some of the other Bo-Ema machines seem to be? Andy was raving on here about the quality of the coffee at Elevensys at one point, and I found a picture of the machine they had. Loos very much like this guy, but a bit more classic/older.

Anyonone have any other info on them, including manuals and whatnot?
                      Hi,

I only came across this from googling to try and find a model number/vintage for my own resto', but I have a seemingly identical machine that I am in the process of restoring.
                      I also have a complete manual/owners book that I got off my old man (he used to own a coffee machine business). I can email them to you if you get in contact with me robwithers@hotmail.com.

My machine came out of an operating coffee shop in Newcastle approximately 7-8 years ago and has been stored up until about a month ago. I ran it up and it appears to work perfectly still (holds pressure and temp, shuts off as it should etc). I have no idea about the asbestos seals myself and wasn't planning on pulling the seals on any boiler components until they started leaking or required replacing! This machine was serving coffee for many years so I assume they've been replaced or the damage has been done and the seals have wept all the asbestos they can (I'll let you know if I start coughing).

The group head/plunger piston etc seals leak as they've gone hard through lack of use - I have just contacted Boema directly through to try and purchase. The paint on mine is in reasonable condition. The base I will re-paint and the rear chrome panel will be removed and re-chromed, but apart from that it requires a thorough clean/flush.
                      Do you know if the seals shown on Non-sponsor commercial link removed will fit this?

Cheers,

Rob
                      Last edited by Javaphile; 14 April 2013, 11:07 PM. Reason: Commercial link removed

Comment

Working...
                      X