Londinium L-I

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Londinium L-I

Hasn't anyone in Australia gotten a Londinium lever machine to own, test, play with???

I am really curious to see how you all view this machine and use it!

Cheers!

Stephen

I am surprised that there are no buyers, or at least anyone will to admit they bought one.

I will Post my First Impressions next week.

Comment

Originally posted by BLrdFX View Post
      I am surprised that there are no buyers, or at least anyone will to admit they bought one.

I will Post my First Impressions next week.
      As you know, a couple of users on the Cr ema forum have bought one but they haven't landed yet.
      I would say others would be happy to wait for the review, prefer not to buy version 1.0 of anything or think that the L1 doesn't tick the right boxes. There could be other factors.

Comment

Dont be surprised Stephen, its the other side of forum build up that avid forum readers usually doesnt get to see. Products will get talked up and round ad infinitum until it seems everyone wants or aspires to or must have the product. The operative terminology is "...it seems...". Traders that gear up to present and sell products on the basis of what's making for popular discussion in the forums, often get stuck with the products and cant sell them.... It's happened time and again with a broad range of products that when taken on the face value of what you read on the web, apparently should have sold like hot cakes from the moment they became available......

That aside, I too will be genuinely interested to read about your first impressions.

Comment

Thanks all for the response.

Here is an observation of the bottomless portafilter I received yesterday for the L-I machine that is still in shipping.

The ability to hold all VST baskets is true, 7-22g easily.

The L-I portafilter is lighter than the LaMarzocco PF; 18.5oz compared to 13.2oz. I feel it is in the handle and I say this by the balance of the PF and noticing that the thickness of the basket area appears to be roughly the same.

Click image for larger version

Name:	BPF.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	26.3 KB
ID:	733398Click image for larger version

Name:	BPF2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	26.3 KB
ID:	733399

Comment

Londinium L-I

Your weight observation makes sense for a product that was designed specifically to be shipped all around the globe...

Comment

Londinium L-I

Originally posted by Fresh_Coffee View Post
              Dont be surprised Stephen, its the other side of forum build up that avid forum readers usually doesnt get to see. Products will get talked up and round ad infinitum .......

That aside, I too will be genuinely interested to read about your first impressions.
              Yes, I agree with Fresh Coffee and his observations...

I like motorbikes- specifically 'Adventure' style motorbikes... Husqvarna was bought by BMW and has just released a brand new model called the Terra- TR650 which is built around an engine used by BMW in its Sertao...

Anyway for many months I have followed the threads on Adv-rider and Cafe Husky and it's a very predictable cycle of initial enthusiasm followed by astonishing detractors... All getting very hyped up... Some of the comments on both sides are quite over the top and bordering on hysteria...

The bikes been released in the US for a couple of months and the early adopters have admonished praise and raised the inevitable first release teething problems...

There's no real moral to my little ditty here- just the observation that the new-product cycle is just that... And I wouldn't read too much into it either way...

All the best with your new pride and joy and please do keep us posted...

Comment

Thanks Ol_Grumpy, and BTW both Husq and BMW make fine bikes! Kudos for your love of the balancing act

I just measured something about tamper fit with the PF and Basket I received from Londinium, compared to my LaMarzocco.

UPDATE: The spring re-tension worked well. The difference in L-I baskets and LM baskets is I.D. (inside diameter) with the LM being 58.89" on my 17g and the "Double basket" of the L-I being 58.40". My calipers measure down to .0001" and I know how to use them, so for those of you with custom extra large tampers you might need to get a different head. I suspect that the 58.35" that Londonium recommends would be a wall cleaning fit.

I am not worried about the folks who like being stuck in one mode and are not adventurous by nature. Ted Turner had a sign on his desk that sort of sets the tone for me, "Lead, Follow or Get Out of the Way". I listen, and all input is appreciated, but negativity is so counter productive...

Cheers!
                Stephen

Comment

Originally posted by BLrdFX View Post
                  The L-I portafilter is lighter than the LaMarzocco PF; 18.5oz compared to 13.2oz. I feel it is in the handle and I say this by the balance of the PF and noticing that the thickness of the basket area appears to be roughly the same.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1642[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]1643[/ATTACH]

My Achille portafilters look identical to the Londinium 1 portafilters, and obviously bayonet into the same grouphead as the Londinium 1 does.

I didn't like the cheap look of the QM portafilter from the first time that I saw it. I hated the balance (or lack of balance) of one in my hand too. So I had a portafilter removed from its handle and had it machined to become bottomless. I then threaded a La Marzocco handle there in the other handle's place.

It is now a balanced device that exudes quality.

This point-of-contact with an espresso machine is important to me. The feel and balance now puts me more in touch with the machine. It feels like I am driving a much nicer machine than when I first got it.

Comment

Originally posted by Ol_Grumpy View Post
                    Your weight observation makes sense for a product that was designed specifically to be shipped all around the globe...
                    I suspect those PF's are a "Stock" item from a large producer.
                    I doubt the designer of those PF's is even still alive,..let alone even contemplated they might be used outside his home country !

Comment

Londinium L-I

Originally posted by Paolo View Post
                      ?
                      <snip>

This point-of-contact with an espresso machine is important to me. The feel and balance now puts me more in touch with the machine. It feels like I am driving a much nicer machine than when I first got it.
                      Congrats... From what I have seen the handles, knobs, etc are one of the first Farkles and mods to be done by proud new owners...

One of the most amazing and spectacular are the custom resin handles that one of the guys on one of the other forums does...

Perhaps one of the those guys reading this might like to jump on in...

Comment

Londinium L-I

Originally posted by blend52 View Post
                        I suspect those PF's are a "Stock" item from a large producer.
                        I doubt the designer of those PF's is even still alive,..let alone even contemplated they might be used outside his home country !
                        Hmmm... I would respond but I can't see the point....

Of course components from many different suppliers are incorporated into this machine... Whilst I don't know for sure... I expect a smart and obviously careful man like Reiss (designer) would consider weight as one of the design considerations...

What are you trying to say?

Comment

Originally posted by Ol_Grumpy View Post
                          ... Whilst I don't know for sure... I expect a smart and obviously careful man like Reiss (designer) would consider weight as one of the design considerations...

What are you trying to say?
                          Im trying to say ..The PF's are most likely a "stock" existing design, same as the basket, group assy, boiler, taps etc etc.

Comment

Yep they sure are (stock items)! You can unscrew the plastic handle and screw in another of your choice dependent only on the thread (or as stated above you can redo the thread to suit something else. And you can buy complete other "ergo" handles from spare parts suppliers to suit ( "ergo" = industry name for angled down group handles as in "ergonomic").

New forum sub group....."group handle snobs R us" !

Comment

Originally posted by Fresh_Coffee View Post
                              You can unscrew the plastic handle !
                              My handle had to be destroyed so that a suitable wrench could be secured to the internal bolt. It was SERIOUSLY loctited-in (with lots of the "commando" green/take-no-prisoners-type loctite). Once the nut was exposed it was simple to apply some torque to it...the filter holder was then free of the burden.

Comment

Working...
                              X