Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Izzo Alex Duetto II Wet Steam Problem

Hi Guys,

As title suggests, I am pulling my hair out with the steam being wet and spluttery and the milk diluting all the time.
    I have tried to let it heat up upto 1 hr and I still get Wet Steam.

Any ideas?

If it's an Alex Duetto II, its most likely grabbing a belly full of water via the anti-vac each time it cools down.

Check that the return from the anti-vac into the tank is long enough to enter the tank but NOT under the surface of the water. If it is, it will fill the steam boiler with water from the tank every time the machine cools down if the tank is full.

Hope that helps.

Chris

Comment

Hi Chris, Thanks for the quick reply. I saw my machine was checked by you. (Bought is from Jet Black) You must be the authority.
      Yes it is a Alex Duetto II.

But I dont understand what is the anti-vac or where its located. Could you please simplify it for me?

Comment

Best back take it back and ask them to check it for you ;-)

Chris

Comment

Yeah but want to leave it as last resort. Its a freaking trek.
          Do you mean the 2 pipes that are going in the tank? The long one and short one?

I checked and both were submerged. The little one should be in the tank and not under submerged?

Comment

There's your problem. The longer one is the inlet tube. The other must not be drowned.

I'll bet Andy's left one that this will solve the problem

Comment

Sweeeet.. I have put it out.
              Its kinda long.. can I cut it?

Also does it need to be pointing in the tank?
              What's its purpose?

Comment

Yes- it needs to be in the tank, but yes- cut it down so it doesn't drown.

Comment

The same thing happened to me with my Duetto 2
                  I solved mine by cutting "V" shapes in the return tube (on the upper surface) to allow air in and break any siphon
                  Hope that helps
                  Cheers
                  Dr Dave

Comment

Originally posted by ilsan0 View Post
                    Also does it need to be pointing in the tank?
                    What's its purpose?
                    Hi,

I had the same issue with my Duetto II. I just put a loose knot in the tube so it would just poke in the top of the tank. the other option is to drain it into the drip tray (my tube was just too short to do this). Hopefully the duetto III has done something to overcome this issue.

To answer your question, the purpose of the tube is to drain the small amount of water that exits the anti-vacuum valve. The anti-vacuum valve stops a vacuum forming in the steam boiler when it cools down. The valve opens once the pressure in the boiler drops below atmospheric. Then on heat up, it eventually closes again once steam is being produced (you'll here it rattling a bit and then clunk closed as the steam boiler heats up a few minutes after switch-on). Some machines don't have the tube at all, the idea is to keep the insides a dry as possible.

Pete

Comment

Alex Duetto wet steam problem solved

Originally posted by ilsan0 View Post
                      Hi Guys,

As title suggests, I am pulling my hair out with the steam being wet and spluttery and the milk diluting all the time.
                      I have tried to let it heat up upto 1 hr and I still get Wet Steam.

Any ideas?
                      Some people have suggested that the vacuum break hose sucks water back into the machine when it is switched off.

This is not an issue because opening the hot water tap will lower the steam talk reservoir level.

The real problem:
                      The water level in the steam boiler is too high. This water will to sputter as it boils quickly when the steam tap is turned on to full and if the level is too high it will enter the steam exit pipe.

How to fix it:
                      Open the cover and inspect the steam boiler (this is the large one). It have two probes one is a temperature probe and leads to the micro-controller do not touch this.

The other sensor is the water level sensor. This appears as a stainless tube inserted into a gland type compression fitting.

The problem is that when the boiler is pressurised this sensor may be pushed out.

Obviously this alters the water level (it rises).

The cure is simple. Push on the tube until it is all the way down (or to your liking). Since it came out it should go back in.

You can untighten the the gland lock nut if it does not move (with boiler depressurised).

Tighten the lock nut just enough to hold the tube from popping out again.

Now switch on and wait to for pressure. Open the hot water to drain the boiler enough to cause the auto refill to start (and close it).

When it stops filling the water should be at the correct level.

Now open the steam tap and clear excess water.

Dry steam should be flowing.

Comment

Hello Claudius,

Perhaps in your country, but not with AUS build. I have never seen a boiler probe pushed high. The anti-vac can however become an issue.

The long plumb run from the steam boiler is the main protagonist. It can be insulated to improve performance.

Best fix? Swap steam and hot water wands.

Comment

The steam splutters a bit when first cracked on mine which is to be expected but seems fine otherwise. I tried it without the cool touch tube but didn't notice any difference so out it back.

I take it you mean to re plumb internally Chris (as the water would be fed from the bottom of the boiler and the steam from the top) to shorten the steam pipe path, or am I missing something?

Cheers

Comment

I have an Alex Duetto ii and this fixed it. The level sensor is on what looks like a teflon gland and is slippery. I was able to push it in with little force. My machine came from the factory in Italy - I am not aware they are assembled in Australia but my level sensor gland is was loose.

Lowering the water level fixes the problem, which is not one of condensation from a too long exit pipe as you suggest. If you doubt this place a drop of water on the exit pipe when steam has been flowing through it. It should be 120 deg C (my steam is set to 127 deg C).

Imagine a too full pressure cooker and hot water spraying out from the valve.

And note that the fix take all of 10 second once the cover is off.

I suppose the only issue is whether the water lever can be set too low - it does not look like it to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Claudius View Post
                              I have an Alex Duetto
                              Yes- and we have a couple of hundred- and then a another 200 of so Duetto III

Comment

Working...
                              X