Linea AV 1GP Restoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linea AV 1GP Restoration

Embarking on a Linea AV single group restoration. Have completely disassembled entire machine and about to start descaling/cleaning of all the parts.
    Just wondering if anyone has any experience with replacement gasket for the brew boiler to the group. My machine is the older type with stainless bolts and brass nuts which sit inside the boiler, held there by a stainless bracket. I have asked allpress but they do not stock or sell the older type gaskets, only gaskets designed for the later boilers with the studs welded to the boiler.
    Having read about a few other projects on the net, all seem to use a paper type gasket with loctite gasket seal(type 573). Does anyone know specifically which type of gasket material I should be using? Also I can't seem to source the loctite 573. Only the loctite 515. Can I use this instead?
    Any advice or help would be appreciated from anyone who has had experience with the older linea machines.

Thanks in advance.

Hi Wongie,

The old GS style gasket is available from Espresso Parts in the states, just search 'marzocco gs flange gasket' and you'll find it. If you want to make some and source the gasket material locally, I'd recommend the australian manufactured Klingersil C4430, datasheet here KLINGER Australia : Compression Packings & Gaskets

You should not need to use loctite if the sealing surfaces are clean and uniform

Comment

Thanks for that. I am in Auckland,NZ so not sure if I can find that gasket material. I may need to find a similar product locally. I would rather go to all lengths to make sure that the gasket seals as its a bit of a bugger to redo if it leaks.
      I did see the gasket from Espresso Parts USA but it would be a bit of a wait to get here. Maybe I will email them to see how long it would take to arrive here.

Comment

Hi Wongie, i'm in New Zealand and regularly use the Klingersil C4430 gasket material.It's available from engineering supply shops like blackwood paykels in different thicknesses and roll lengths. Or if you only need a small amount they can cut you a piece off and charge accordingly.
        I have also ordered from Espresssoparts in the states, and there are different postage options available at the checkout, but my last package took about a week door to door.Postage isn't cheap from the states, so make it worth it if you need other parts.Send me a PM if you'd like any other help

Comment

Thanks Kofekitt,

Yeah postage from US from Espresso Parts is prohibitive if you only need a few cheap parts. I will try to source the Klingersil in Auckland. When you have used it have you also added Loctite gasket sealant??
          Last thing I need is for the group to leak after I put everything back together.

Comment

Hi, i've never had the need to use a gasket sealant as well as a gasket.As 'coffee machinist' said it shouldn't be necessary if the mating surfaces are clean and uniform.However i do understand your concern as a leak once its all assembled is not good.Another thing you have to be aware of if using both is adverse reactions between the gasket material and the sealant if they are not compatible.

Comment

we stock the boiler to group gaskets, they are the green silicone type that are LM genuine. LA MARZOCCO GREEN SILICON GROUP TO BOILER GASKET, we use these on our LM rebuilds and never have to much of an issue. With the gasket sealant, we always pt a dab of Loctite 510 on. hope this is healpful

Comment

Thanks for all your help guys.
                I have decided to go for the Klingersil 4430 as coffee machinist has suggested. I found a local supplier who was happy to cut some off for me. I decided to use some loctite(515) as well. I hope there are no compatibility issues with the gasket material.

Anyway project is nearly complete. Just waiting on some electronic components. Going to use PID control units for both boilers with SSRs.

Comment

For those that are interested, I have posted the photos of the restoration on Flickr.
                  He is a link to the site:

Flickr: NZWongie's Photostream

Comment

Looks like it's coming up like new. When do you expect to finish resto?

Comment

Great work, Wongie! It will be as good as a new one.

Comment

Its nearly there. Just need to finish wiring up the control box end when everything arrives. Ordered all electronic parts ex HK so maybe a week or two away. Will also look at installing a small cooling fan on the main control box above the grouphead. These are prone to failing, probably due to the heat from the brewhead. At nearly NZ$400 each I thought i would try to prolong the life of the control box. Machine still works without it but I lose the volumetric dosing and pre-infusion.

Comment

To keep heat away from the (albeit much more simple electronics) of my EE Linea, I insulated both boilers. I used Armaflex HT, which has worked well for a few years now.

Will you have a switch to isolate the steam boiler for when it won't be used?

Comment

Electronic parts finally arrived from HK yesterday so I was able to finish the project. Only a couple of minor leaks on bench testing requiring some further tightening of the fittings.
                            Playing around with the PID settings to try and get good temp stability.
                            Now to get to know the machine. Already pulling some great shots so it can only get better hopefully...

Comment

Which PID controller did you go for, just out of interest?

Comment

Working...
                              X