Views:	1
Size:	228.5 KB
ID:	755035Click image for larger version

Name:	Ursula 2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	306.5 KB
ID:	755034

Izzo Alex Leva

Here's the machine many of us have been waiting for and it was a massive surprise to see it at HOST today. Apols for the crappy phone pics. We asked for it 2 years ago, but the answer was always "not planned at this stage".

From my lagged recall of what I saw it's a 5L boiler, PID, dedicated plumbed and uses the wonderful SM group of the Pompei. In effect, it's the more compact Pompei we have all been waiting for.

Shots have been pulled, build is terrific and it has an inbuilt steam warmer function beneath the drip tray. I'm thrilled.

Distance from spouts to cup tray is tight, but it's nothing that a naked won't solve and we have requested that one be investigated as part of the Aussie kit for the machine.

They are going into production in November and we'll airfreight some for santa to add to some very lucky Christmas stockings...

Very excitement!

Chris
    Last edited by CraigDavey; 30th October 2013, 09:21 AM.

Love it.

Dual spring in a compact domestic footprint, how's the lever feel? Same as the Pompeii? Very much looking forward to a play with this one.

Comment

The cutaway with the spring reveal is awesome! Hope that stays in the production model.
      The finish looks great.

Comment

Originally posted by coffee_machinist View Post
        Love it.

Dual spring in a compact domestic footprint, how's the lever feel? Same as the Pompeii? Very much looking forward to a play with this one.
        Hi Rick,

The lever felt rock solid to me- same as the Pompei. There is plenty of ballast in the machine and it was really stable...

Me too for more play. I plan to pull some more shots today and can't wait to have them available in Australia...

Originally posted by chokkidog View Post
        The cutaway with the spring reveal is awesome! Hope that stays in the production model.

The finish looks great.
        Hi chokki,

The cutaway is a cert. It is the same group as used on the Pompei- so it will definitely make it to market.

Finish is as per the 2014 Duetto which incorporates some lovely quality improvements- inside and out...

I am expecting identical performance to the Pompei which in our three years of experience with it just works!

Cheers

Chris

Comment

This is great news.

Funnily enough when I visited Chris and Phil in December last year Chris mentioned he'd love to put a lever group onto the Alex Duetto - looks like wishes do come true!

Sniff

Comment

Originally posted by SniffCoffee View Post
            This is great news.

Funnily enough when I visited Chris and Phil in December last year Chris mentioned he'd love to put a lever group onto the Alex Duetto - looks like wishes do come true!

Sniff
            Sure do Sniff! I'm really glad that I asked for it. Must have somehow planted a seed! This one looks to go very close to being my perfect lever machine. Spout to cup distance is a little tighter than the duetto. A standard Aussie latte glass will need a naked I'd think but boy- I sure was impressed with everything else I saw. It would have been good to have covers off but I guess that would be unfair on a pre-production machine.

On a complete tangent, I also saw a Rocket R58 with see through side panels (just perspex for the show) and it was the perfect tutorial in how to execute this concept correctly. Incredible build and attention to detail. Pics will follow later...

Rocket are also doing profiling with a new commercial model. Really impressive machine (note to self get some phone pics today)...

Cheers

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by SniffCoffee View Post
              .... Chris mentioned he'd love to put a lever group onto the Alex Duetto - looks like wishes do come true!

Sniff
              but presumably this is still a single boiler / Dipper system, same as the Pompei was ?

Comment

Hi Chris,
                As you know I trust your opinion . So when you say "Here's the machine many of us have been waiting for..." and "In effect, it's the more compact Pompei we have all been waiting for.." my ears prick up!
                What sets this one apart from the pack? and any rough idea of price yet? How would it compare to a Pompeii Nuova? (Which the wife thinks is too big for our kitchen)
                Cheers
                Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Dr_Dave View Post
                  Hi Chris,
                  As you know I trust your opinion . So when you say "Here's the machine many of us have been waiting for..." and "In effect, it's the more compact Pompei we have all been waiting for.." my ears prick up!
                  What sets this one apart from the pack? and any rough idea of price yet? How would it compare to a Pompeii Nuova? (Which the wife thinks is too big for our kitchen)
                  Cheers
                  Dave
                  +1, this could be the nirvana Dave!!

Comment

Originally posted by Dr_Dave View Post
                    Hi Chris,
                    Cheers
                    Dave
                    Hi Dave,

I do think this will be the answer for you in that I can see no reason why it shouldn't behave near enough to identical (If not exactly the same) as what we see with the Pompei/Izzo.

Pricing is not yet available from GI but ballpark will obviously be somewhere between the Duetto 2014 model and the Izzo (aka Nuova Pompei). I do know that the groups cost a bomb though. I have way more respect for the SM group used in the Izzo over the CMA version and I think this is integral to the performance we experience.

Originally posted by blend52 View Post
                    but presumably this is still a single boiler / Dipper system, same as the Pompei was ?
                    I'm not sure what your point is but my reading is negativity. No surprise I guess ::-)

Yep and it's a bloody good thing in my opinion. We simply use our machine and it does exactly what we want. No Londinium tango, no thermosiphon waltz and no tongue to the left whilst pulling shots on one foot to seek consistency. In my experience, it just works.
                    Last edited by TC; 21st October 2013, 03:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by blend52 View Post
                      Yes, my post perhaps misled- I should have said lever group on the Alex Duetto chassis- as Chris has confirmed, the internals will be like the Pompeii.

Comment

Originally posted by Talk_Coffee View Post
                        I'm not sure what your point is but my reading is negativity. No surprise I guess ::-).
                        .... No Londinium tango, no thermosiphon waltz and no tongue to the left whilst pulling shots on one foot to seek consistency. ...
                        I was trying to confirm that it retained the proven "Pompeii" configuration, rather than the implied dual boiler of the Duetto.
                        ..your cynicism and bias is becoming a little ingrained !

Comment

Ok then b52. Mere text has once again let us/me down. My apologies.

Comment

Chris,

re the clearance, is the drip tray on the Duetto/Ursula a very deep one?

Looking at the photos it seems so - perhaps it could be lowered? (Or will that interfere with the steam warmer function you mentioned?)

Is there any chance the machine can be ordered from the factory with the steam arm on the left hand side? (if not, perhaps Rick can modify it?)

Sniff

Comment

Hi Sniff,

It's on the Alex chassis and so uses the same drip tray.

The group is a touch lower and at HOST, pro rather than shorter domestic spouts were employed.

Re steam arm- it may be possible as I saw an Alex with LHS steam and it has been traditionally right. More likely, the 5L boiler is redeployed in the Ursula, existing anatomy suits RHS steam better. It's the same on the Pompei. Nothing that Rick couldn't solve I'd think- though potentially at the cost of some extra condensation from a longer run.

Cheers

Chris

Comment

Working...
                              X