Another new R58 owner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another new R58 owner

So after 10 years of faithful service, i retired my old trusty ECM giotto premium
    The machine served me well, and hopefully its new owner will get much enjoyment from it also.

So today to get its replacement, i went and paid Chris from Talk coffee a visit.
    So much eye candy in there, the eyes just didnt know were to look first.

i had 3 machines in mind, the rocket evoluzione v2, rocket r58 and izzo duetto 3

the wife pointed straight at the r58 and said she liked that one, i was thinking along the same lines, but wasn't sure on the way the pid controller was attached, but loved everything else about it looks wise. So much nice bling.
    the duetto 3 was also a beauty, but the size of the drip tray just looked too bulky to me, and i knew some of my cups just weren't going to fit between the portafilter and tray.
    The other argument is the one on the r58 is too small, but is of no concern to me, as will be plumbing it in.

So the bling won out, and i left the store with not only an r58 but with 6 rocket espresso cups, 6 rocket short black cups, under bench water filtration kit, and placed an order for a black mazzer kony e to replace the mazzer mini manual.

Chris as usual was very helpful and a joy to do business with, am eager to try the 2 bags of coffee he provided with the coffee He also gave me a naked portafilter in the deal, so will have to use it now to see how good or bad my techniques really is

Got it home set it up and poured my first shot...WOW, silence compared to my last machine, not going to be scaring little children every time the pump kicks in to top up the boiler or when pulling a shot.

First coffee was absolutely lovely, and i dare say this machine should see me through for the next 10 years or so.

Now the agonizing wait for that kony e

i'll take some pics during the week to post up

Nice pickup John I'm looking forward to picking my new machine (Your old one) up from Chris very soon and have a glance over his grinder selection while out there.

Comment

Enjoy it John. It's a great machine

Comment

Cheers guys. Will be putting it through its paces tonight.
        Got a bbq so will be pumping out a few coffees.
        Dale am sure you will love your new machine

Comment

Ahhhh. I love pulling shots for a crowd. Enjoy that John

Comment

i will say it once again, i am totally blown away with this machine.

Last night had a crowd of 13 people here for a bbq and was pulling shot after shot after shot.
            The machine was doing it with ease, and allot of the drinks were milk based. Was also a huge talking point and everyone was asking about the little PID controller.

The only thing left now is to pick up the new grinder on Friday and find its final resting place, then i can plumb it in.
            Have the filter all set up and ready to go, just want to be absolutely sure of exactly where i want it before drilling a hole in the bench top

Comment

Treat that machine to a great grinder John.

Comment

Did you consider the Nota Orchestrale as it's in the same price range as the R58 and Duetto?

Comment

Originally posted by Pauly404 View Post
                  Treat that machine to a great grinder John.
                  have done so mate, a mazzer kony e

Did you consider the Nota Orchestrale as it's in the same price range as the R58 and Duetto?
                  no, not for any reason other then having owned a giotto for 10 years of almost all trouble free, and having a friend who has a duetto and hasnt had any issues either, i figured id stick with what i know.
                  Then theres the issue of you start comparing too many machines, i think it would just do your head in, i was having a hard enough time picking between these two
                  i almost put it to a toss of a coin

Comment

Yes- but it's in a different class with all other rotary pump HX machines. It's comparable to circa $3k Giotto EVO et al, not the any of the dual boiler offer.

Comment

Yep. The dual boilers are awesome. That's why I went for the R58. I like the look of the Nota and the massive 3L boiler though.

Comment

well i found the first thing i dont like about this machine, the damn water tank. It is so tight getting in and out.
                        It wont bother me for long as i will be plumbing it in this weekend, but today, got the flashing green light with the message water tank empty on the PID controller.

For those with the same machine and plumbed in, do you leave the water tank in, or can you remove it and store it away. Doesnt mention it in the manual, from the quick glimpse i had through it

Also was playing around with manual preinfusion, and noticed that when lifting the lever to the first click doesnt do it, need to raise it just a little higher. Can this be adjusted so it works right on that first click?
                        Not something i play with regularly, just wanting to see what difference it can make

Comment

Hi John,

Bring your tank in on Friday when you collect the Kony-E. Easily fixed with a little food lube

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by Talk_Coffee View Post
                            Hi John,

Bring your tank in on Friday when you collect the Kony-E. Easily fixed with a little food lube

Chris

Thanks Chris

i think i may still have some here from when got some from you last time.
                            Didnt even think of that

Comment

Kony E . Great stuff John

Comment

Working...
                              X