Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Commercial espresso machine for home use

Dear all,
    I'm wondering to get help from you guys to see if buying a commercial machine for my home use would be a crazy idea?
    My target model is: Dalla Corte Evo2
    Thanks

FWIW I would spend just over half the dollars and buy a 220/240V LM GS3. Far better control over "minor things" like preinfusion and so much easier to live with domestically.

TampIt

Comment

[QUOTE=TampIt;549280]FWIW I would spend just over half the dollars and buy a 220/240V LM GS3. Far better control over "minor things" like preinfusion and so much easier to live with domestically.

TampIt[/QUOTE
      Thanks for your advice. But do u think that the GS3 is even better than the Dalla corte Mini?

Comment

Do you have really big coffee drinking family who live with you?

Comment

Originally posted by Barry O'Speedwagon View Post
          Do you have really big coffee drinking family who live with you?
          In fact my concern is to get the better quality at home but we prepare and average of 8 coffees a day

Comment

Originally posted by Hossa12 View Post
            In fact my concern is to get the better quality at home but we prepare and average of 8 coffees a day
            So, ignoring the specifics of your current favoured machine, why would you want to spend a significant proportion of your budget on obtaining a machine that can
            churn out coffee-after-coffee for long periods of time? You'll get a better result if you follow TampIt's suggestion above, or several other similar strategies I'd think, if quality of coffee is what you are focussed on.

To answer your original question...no, you're not being crazy, but it is difficult to understand why your first thought is to buy a machine designed to work in cafes.

Cheers
            BOSW.

Comment

I'm wondering to get help from you guys to see if buying a commercial machine for my home use would be a crazy idea?
              My target model is: Dalla Corte Evo2Thanks
              its not crazy,but why that machine?

for 8 coffees a day, I would take something like that: Astoria Perla AL 1 or 2

Comment

It's clear that a 4 group will be required so that those 8 coffees can be dispatched quick smart!

Hossa- to be honest, I seriously doubt that the overwhelming majority of Aussies could distinguish an expertly prepared coffee from a well-configured $2k domestic HX machine when lined up next to that produced by a $10+ 2 group DC. Beans and technique are by far the most important considerations.

Cheers

Chris
                Last edited by TC; 8 January 2015, 07:45 AM. Reason: tpyo ;-)

Comment

There are more considerations to buying the DC .... do you have a 25 amp ( per specs) dedicated circuit into your kitchen?

Are you aware that you could easily and often exceed your 40 amp max domestic load. (Mal? Any thoughts?)

You will also have to regularly purge your steam boiler to prevent the staling of old water by constant heating

and reheating.

You wish to serve good coffee, nothing wrong with that. Chris has said how, above, in a nutshell.

You haven't mentioned grinder yet either; making good coffee is much more than pressing a button on a coffee machine! :-)

If you have up to 12-15k in your pocket for a machine plus grinder then, as Tampit has mentioned, a GS3 or at

10k+.... a Speedster.
                  Last edited by chokkidog; 8 January 2015, 10:37 AM.

Comment

Dear all,
                    My target model is: Dalla Corte Evo2
                    Thanks
                    The coffee forum politically correct reply to this is to all jump in and pat you on the back and say what a wonderful / fantastic / magnificent idea this all is (sending you off on a wild goose chase wasting time, money resources and effort etc).

I favour the honest if blunt approach and that will be to answer your question with the truth. Yes, I am afraid that is a crazy idea. Thereby, hopefully I can stop you from wasting time, money, resources and effort on something that is totally unsuited for your stated use.

Check the TalkCoffee reply above. It's on the money. "...to be honest, I seriously doubt that the overwhelming majority of Aussies could distinguish an expertly prepared coffee from a well-configured $2k domestic HX machine when lined up next to that produced by a $10+ 2 group DC. Beans and technique are by far the most important considerations...."

Many years experience tells me that people buy certain equipment because they think (usually through their "research") it will deliver the best (perhaps even significantly / noticably better) coffee all the time. This is not so, and when they eventually bring it in for service, we find they have never adjusted the grinder away from the original setting, they have never adjusted the PID (if it has one) away from the original setting etc., and generally dont understand the principles of good espresso making....and as stated initally, they thought (were led to believe) just having the "right" brand/type equipment would take care of it all for them.

Afraid that is not so, and you dont have to spend squillions to get a great cuppa.

Are you (we / anyone) drinking the coffee, or the image that we think the equipment appears to portray especially if we spend the requisite amount of money ?

Hope that helps.
                    Last edited by TOK; 8 January 2015, 10:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by TOK View Post
                      The coffee forum politically correct reply to this is to all jump in and pat you on the back and say what a wonderful / fantastic / magnificent idea this all is (sending you off on a wild goose chase wasting time, money resources and effort etc).

I favour the honest if blunt approach and that will be to answer your question with the truth. Yes, I am afraid that is a crazy idea. Thereby, hopefully I can stop you from wasting time, money, resources and effort on something that is totally unsuited for your stated use.

Check the TalkCoffee reply above. It's on the money. "...to be honest, I seriously doubt that the overwhelming majority of Aussies could distinguish an expertly prepared coffee from a well-configured $2k domestic HX machine when lined up next to that produced by a $10+ 2 group DC. Beans and technique are by far the most important considerations...."

Many years experience tells me that people buy certain equipment because they think (usually through their "research") it will deliver the best (perhaps even significantly / noticably better) coffee all the time. This is not so, and when they eventually bring it in for service, we find they have never adjusted the grinder away from the original setting, they have never adjusted the PID (if it has one) away from the original setting etc., and generally dont understand the principles of good espresso making....and as stated initally, they thought (were led to believe) just having the "right" brand/type equipment would take care of it all for them.

Afraid that is not so, and you dont have to spend squillions to get a great cuppa.

Are you (we / anyone) drinking the coffee, or the image that we think the equipment appears to portray especially if we spend the requisite amount of money ?

Hope that helps.
                      Hi Guys, i really appreciate your effort to help to figure out what could be the better alternative. Mu budget is 12-13k, so what would better a GS3?or Speedster?
                      Thanks again

Comment

Mu budget is 12-13k, so what would better a GS3?or Speedster?
                        Odd question..... as the straight answer is; neither is 'better' than the other. They are different but similar........

the original Speedsters were built on the GS3 innards/group/engineering and retain that essential design. ( Twin boiler, saturated group )

It's a question only you can answer.

And 'better' is not the right word; you should go and look at/try a range of

machines (as there aren't many single groups not in your budget) and then purchase the one you 'prefer'.

You have a generous budget so have a good look around but at the end of the day, for me, I'd rather wear a badge of honour that

said more about my coffee than my machine.

Comment

if i had your budget id set some time aside to go and see chris and check out one of these too........Maybe paired with a kony e

Vesuvius- by Ambient Espresso | Talk Coffee

Hi Guys, i really appreciate your effort to help to figure out what could be the better alternative. Mu budget is 12-13k, so what would better a GS3?or Speedster?
                          Thanks again

Comment

Thanks again
                            My word, you just keep raising the bar !!

From a Nuove Simonelli Deluxe ?? to a GS3 or a Vesuvius, then onward & upward to a Dalla Corte Evo2 or a Speedster - WOW.

Just as well I'm a minimalist at heart, or I'd be seriously jealous.
                            Last edited by deegee; 8 January 2015, 11:41 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

Originally posted by deegee View Post
                              My word, you just keep raising the bar !!

From a Nuove Simonelli Deluxe ?? to a GS3 or a Vesuvius, then onward & upward to a Dalla Corte Evo2 or a Speedster - WOW.
                              I'd argue that a DC is definitely not upward from a Vesuvius. The other two- at best sideways and then only due to design interest.
                              Last edited by TC; 8 January 2015, 01:28 PM. Reason: tpyo

Comment

Working...
                              X