La San Marco 85 Flexa E - adjustment of boler temp question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• La San Marco 85 Flexa E - adjustment of boler temp question

Does anyone know what the so called Palm Unit is that is required to set/adjust the boiler temp? I cannot find any info about this unit on the www which is strange. I have heard that some persons buy this machine with this unit installed and that its a add on extra. Pls help!

I also read a thread from AdrianN where he said that its easy to change the pressurized portafilter basket to std but that it required an easy valve removal, does someone have experience from this?

/P

I have one of the mysterious "Palm Units" and it never comes included with the machine... it is a fully optional extra and costs around $400. Talk to your local Segafredo Zanetti dealer/rep and they should be able to help you out (Segafredo owns La San Marco).

As for the pressurized valve, simply remove the spout from the basket, then using a wrench undo the hex nut and then remove the plastic valve from inside. Put everything back together and... voila... you now have an unpressurized basket

Comment

Hi Vinitasse, I read that you have one of the few 'modified' Flexaś. Thanks for the info! Have you had good use of the Palm unit or is the machine good enough as is?
      Pressurized vs. Modified basket,what difference can I expect?

(i am just about to pick up my Flexa today. My first purchase of a more serious machine...) :-)

Thanks/P

Comment

The machine makes fantastic coffee as is and I would always suggest learning and mastering your new machine before tweaking too many of the available variables. Tweaking brew temp, etc... is something you can play with later on.

Get rid of the valve immediately... unless you are planning on using your shiny new, expensive toy on pre-ground stale coffee.. or... horror of horrors... pods

Comment

Problem with valve or pump pressure?

Originally posted by Vinitasse View Post
          The machine makes fantastic coffee as is and I would always suggest learning and mastering your new machine before tweaking too many of the available variables. Tweaking brew temp, etc... is something you can play with later on.

Get rid of the valve immediately... unless you are planning on using your shiny new, expensive toy on pre-ground stale coffee.. or... horror of horrors... pods

I got the machine today, its a second hand demo from a retailer closing down the business... As new outside and inside, probably used at one or two occasions max. I had some problems initially after filling up with water in the tank, grinding some beans, tamping carefully and mounted the handle...no coffee even ifo I could hear the pump working. So, open the sides and top just to find a shiny new interior. Both pumps works and after some knocking on motor, solenoid valves I finally got a creamy espresso. It works sometiimes and sometimes not. Its almost as it don't have enough pressure. If I remove the handle it rains hot water from the upper filter when the pump works, every time! But with a filled porta filter in place nothing happens. The manometer is only for the boiler pressure as I understand and that is on green. Could the reason be because of the pressure valve in the porta filter (silicon gasket with a cut cross in the center) or could the motor be to weak? I have hard time to believe that something could be broken on such a new machine (in such good shape...the machine is actually from 2008). Oh, when i tried several times without sucess, I found that the spill water tank was almost full, which for me indicates that he pump works.
          are there any valves in the boiler head that I can check?

Best regards/P

Comment

As stated before, remove the valve from the portafilter... it is not needed

Secondly... grind your coffee a little more coarsely

Comment

Ok, will do! The only thing nagging me is that the machine should work with the std setup, or!? What could be the reason for no coffee coming through?
              i will definately go for the non-pressurized, I just love to learn and to dig deep into my interests... I am just worried that the pump does not give the right pressure, can this be checket somehow, easily?
              I got a San Marco grinder as well so I will have great fun to fin the right settings. Later I will go for a bottom-less porta... :-)
              Thanks/P

Comment

Originally posted by Pejtan View Post
                Ok, will do! The only thing nagging me is that the machine should work with the std setup, or!? What could be the reason for no coffee coming through?
                i will definately go for the non-pressurized, I just love to learn and to dig deep into my interests... I am just worried that the pump does not give the right pressure, can this be checket somehow, easily?
                I got a San Marco grinder as well so I will have great fun to fin the right settings. Later I will go for a bottom-less porta... :-)
                Thanks/P
                What city are you based in?

Comment

Oh, even if I only use the portafilter without coffee inside, it will not let through any water... Something is fishy!

Comment

The OPV will be working overtime if you've overdosed the portafilter with coffee that has been ground far too finely

Dose less, grind coarser until the coffee flows and then adjust until you're getting a fantastic tasting shot

Comment

Originally posted by Libertyrx1 View Post
                      What city are you based in?
                      Stockholm, Sweden...

Comment

Stockholm, Sweden...

Oh ok. Was hoping if you were Sydney I could help you out. I know you will enjoy the machine

Comment

Originally posted by Vinitasse View Post
                          The OPV will be working overtime if you've overdosed the portafilter with coffee that has been ground far too finely

Dose less, grind coarser until the coffee flows and then adjust until you're getting a fantastic tasting shot
                          OPV? (I am a beginner...Operating Pressure Valve?) :-)

Good tips! I do think my grains are far to fine since I used to have a budget Isomac before and unless fine grains it pulls a shot in 5 seconds...

Else this seems to be a fantastic machine, built like a tank, easy to open up and not so cramped inside! The main problem with a new machine is that its easy to have 20 shots/day...I will be like a Duracell rabbit during Christmas!

Comment

Originally posted by Libertyrx1 View Post
                            Oh ok. Was hoping if you were Sydney I could help you out. I know you will enjoy the machine
                            That was really kind of you, thanks! It's difficult to find good swedish forums, the country is to small for that, but I was lucky to find this one, seems to be quite a bunch with the same interest of perfection! :-)

Comment

Later I will go for a bottom-less porta... :-)

Hej!

Pretty sure that such a thing does NOT exist. The Flexa has a completely different grouphead to anything else in the LSM range. All the other machines use deep 53mm baskets and the Flexa has its own very unique 57mm design and is not compatible with any basket out there as the basket is integrated into the portafilter.

In any event.. .enjoy your new toy!

God Jul och Gott Nytt År

Cheers,
                              Bruce
                              (a Swedish Canadian living in Australia) :-)

Comment

Working...
                              X