Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Get the Atom 65 instead of the 60

Comment

• Hi Guys, I'm having a bit of trouble with scale grit coming through the hot water nozzle, it gets stuck in the mesh of the nozzle end but bits get through and end up in the cup. It also seams to get stuck in the valve and causes dripping until I crank the valve open and flush it out. Machine is 2 and a bit years old. Is it possible to descale the boiler? I'm an electrician and quote handy, has anyone seen any videos or guides to accomplish this? Cheers

Comment

• Has the machine every been descaled? What sort of filtration are you using on the water supply to the machine?

Comment

• Originally posted by BrendanM View Post
          Is it possible to descale the boiler? I'm an electrician and quote handy, has anyone seen any videos or guides to accomplish this? Cheers
          Process is same as Profitec 700 as follows:
          1 Turn the machine on by switching the metal switch upward. The coffee boiler is now being heated to the preset temperature (reg. PID-display).
          2 Turn the machine off by placing the metal switch into the lower position.
          3 If a filter holder is clamped in the brew group, remove it and activate the brew lever in order to empty out
          the water in the coffee boiler by way of the brew group (ca. 200ml water volume is possible). Position the
          brew lever downward once no more water is being discharged.
          4 Mix the descaling powder with water according to the instructions and pour it into the water tank.
          5 Turn the Pro700 on. Then activate the brew lever and release about 750ml water through the brew
          group. The coffee boiler is now filled with descaling liquid. Please refill the water tank with fresh water.
          6 Now clamp the filter holder with blind filter into the brew group and operate the brew lever for about 20
          seconds. Then, push the brew lever all the way back down. Repeat this step twice and let the descaling
          liquid soak for about 1⁄2 hr.
          7 While the descaling liquid is soaking in, turn the steam boiler on (place the switch behind the drip tray to
          position ‘1’). The steam boiler will now be heated up to the preset temperature.
          8 After the steam temperature has been reached, turn the machine off and empty the water out of the
          steam boiler by way of the hot water dispenser.
          9 Turn the machine on, the steam boiler as well. The empty steam boiler is now being filled with descaling
          liquid.
          10 The machine heats both boilers to the preset temperature. Let the descaling liquid soak for about 1⁄2 hr.
          after the operating pressure has been reached.
          11 Unclamp the filter holder and empty the remaining descaler through the brew group by activating the
          brew lever.
          12 Turn the machine off and empty out the steam boiler by activating the hot water release. (We
          recommend to first remove the tip of the hot water release so no dirt can collect in the nozzle.
          13 Empty out the water tank, rinse it thoroughly, fill with fresh water and place it back into the machine.
          14 Turn the machine back on. This automatically fills the steam boiler with fresh water. When this boiler is
          full, activate the brew group lever in order to fill the coffee boiler with fresh water (until water is
          discharged through the brew group).
          15 Refill the water tank.
          16 Clamp the filter holder with blind filter back into the brew group and activate the brew group lever 3 times
          for about 20 seconds. Then, position the brew group lever all the way down. This flushes the entire
          system. Now remove the blind filter from the portafilter.
          17 Activate the brew group lever and flush fresh water through the brew group for about 60 seconds.
          18 Repeat steps 12. through 17. three to five times until clear, neutral smelling water comes out of both the
          group head and the hot water release.

Comment

• herzog
            herzog commented
            Editing a comment
            Note switch to tank mode first

• Funny this has just shown up . I have a question about the deswcale procedure. Once you have descale in the brew boiler it says to fill water reservoir with fresh water. Then moves onto the steam boiler , you empty it then it says turn on and the steam boiler will get filled with descale liquid. How does this happen with frsh water in the water reservoir? Pump water to brew boiler then overflow to steam boiler??

Comment

• Originally posted by NJD View Post
            Funny this has just shown up . I have a question about the deswcale procedure. Once you have descale in the brew boiler it says to fill water reservoir with fresh water. Then moves onto the steam boiler , you empty it then it says turn on and the steam boiler will get filled with descale liquid. How does this happen with frsh water in the water reservoir?
            It doesn't. You're right, the official instructions are missing a step. Before step 9 you should fill the reservoir with descaling mixture.

Comment

• Haha I have always gone away from the procedure in the manual as I beleived it was wrong. Also sticking to the Men mentality of reading the instructions once something doesnt work. On the weekend I decided no I will follow the instructions to the letter but it still didnt make sense to me how the descale solution was getting to the steam boiler. Oh well looks like I am going back this afternoon to descale my steam boiler.Thanks for the confirmation I thought I just needed more caffeine to make sense of the procedure.

Comment

• Thanks Herzog. Im pretty sure I was told that its not a good idea to descale the entire machine and I was only to descale the brew head by placing a small amount of descaler into the blind filter and cycling it until clear. I have a product called "Cafetto Espresso Clean" i'm guessing this won't do as there is no instructions on how much to use in water only says to use a scoop in the filter and cycle it until clear. What product should I use?

Comment

• Originally posted by BrendanM View Post
                  Thanks Herzog. Im pretty sure I was told that its not a good idea to descale the entire machine and I was only to descale the brew head by placing a small amount of descaler into the blind filter and cycling it until clear. I have a product called "Cafetto Espresso Clean" i'm guessing this won't do as there is no instructions on how much to use in water only says to use a scoop in the filter and cycle it until clear. What product should I use?
                  You back flush the grouphead in the manner you have described. Descaling is different and it is advised to flush descaling solution through the group, hot water and steam wands to remove as much scale buildup as possible.

Comment

• Thanks for the advise, much appreciated!

Comment

• I'm about to buy a Synchronika with the flow control. I agree the flow control looks clumsy, as noted earlier. I live in the bush in far east Victoria, so I'm really concerned about water filtration & service support. Any comments, referrals, good experiences with sales outlets. Any input on filter devices. Appreciate all comments!

Comment

• Originally posted by petercoota View Post
                        I'm about to buy a Synchronika with the flow control. I agree the flow control looks clumsy, as noted earlier. I live in the bush in far east Victoria, so I'm really concerned about water filtration & service support. Any comments, referrals, good experiences with sales outlets. Any input on filter devices. Appreciate all comments!
                        I haven't plumbed mine in - I just use BWT filter jug - a 2.7L penguin to be more precise... It supposedly handles water hardness as well. As for servicing - good question - I know I can take mine back to where I bought it but it's a heavy beast and for me at least it nearly bust my boiler (not the machine's boiler ;-) ) lifting it onto the kitchen bench and I don't relish the prospect of lifting back into the high sided box it came in - although I have kept the box for that purpose.

Comment

• Yeah, they're certainly heavy beasts. If you're handy with tools, Whole Latte Love in the US have quite a few good maintenance and explanatory videos which may help you if anything goes kaput.

Comment

• How often are Synchronika owners descaling their boilers?

Comment

• Originally posted by Phils View Post
                              How often are Synchronika owners descaling their boilers?
                              Some people warn about doing it yourself because they are hard to completely drain... There are procedures out there to do it though.

I've been told that I don't have to do it very often at all as long as you treat your water. I also make sure I warm my cups from the steam boiler ie. hot water wand which runs some fresh water through there each day and hopefully mitigates some mineral build up in the same way as running water through the brew boiler does. So what I'm saying here is my strategy is avoidance of the problem and a very irregular service to treat it if it ever occurs. I'm guessing once every 10 years or longer.

Comment

Working...
                              X