• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by K_Bean_Coffee
    Also, steam pressure is UP because of the bigger steam boiler
    I'm keen to hear thoughts from others.
    Cheers, Paul

I suspect steam "pressure" is pretty much the same as on other high end home machines, because of the "bigger steam boiler" perhaps there is a greater volume of steam available.

Comment

Originally posted by Talk_Coffee View Post
      Agreed. Technique, technique and then add some technique!

The passive preinfusion stuff is all marketing bs (with respect). We can provide it on any e-61 lever machine as a service item.
      Yep, we've discussed this very subject ad nauseam, in the not so distant past, thought we had established that "passive preinfusion" was a given for E61 group heads and certainly not an exclusive to ECM machines.

Comment

Originally posted by Yelta View Post
        Yep, we've discussed this very subject ad nauseam, in the not so distant past, thought we had established that "passive preinfusion" was a given for E61 group heads and certainly not an exclusive to ECM machines.
        Yes we have, as have we discussed and diagnosed 'spurting'. Just in case anyone missed it - technique. And just in case you are still confused try grind, dose, distribution, tamp.

I have an ECM Technika with an E61 grouphead, I can passively pre infuse too if I could be bothered. Early on, before I had nailed my technique, I was getting the spurts from the naked - with or without passive pre infusion.

Comment

Originally posted by K_Bean_Coffee
          I'll chime in here. I upgraded from the R58 to the ECM Controvento (same insides as the Synchronika) and improved (spurt free) bottomless PF extractions were obvious. I'm guessing this is due to the passive pre-infusion on the contro and synch (although benefits of this pre-infusion are debatable). Also, steam pressure is UP because of the bigger steam boiler
          I'm keen to hear thoughts from others.
          Cheers, Paul
          Thanks for your thoughts Paul

What you said about steam & larger boiler is the main
          attraction in the Linea Mini for me. Having 3.5L on a home machine
          may even be overkill but reading what folks have reported about it does make it sound nice

This Synchronika though at 2L boiler does also get good steam reviews ( by way of the Contro & Pro700 which I believe are all similar inside)
          Plus of course price on the ECM is a K30 less than the Linea too

Thanks & looking forward to more reports on this machine as more folks get their hands on one

Comment

I have a longer post on the way, but briefly just on pre-infusion... tl;dr - not sure I'm really qualified to comment! My 6910 had active (pulsing vibe pump) pre-infusion and I used it with a naked pf. Got spurting reasonably often; tried a wide range of techniques to avoid it but I think the biggest improvement was on following Chris's advice to ditch my fidly distribution ritual (wdt, nutating tamp etc) and get back to basics of a simple, repeatable process.

I've played with 5-10 seconds pre-infusion on the ECM, but without a naked pf it's hard to judge the effects - some shots blonde a bit early but I haven't noted a strong correlation with pre-infusion. Results in the cup I'm happy with or without.

I might try a more scientific approach, use the timer on my scales to time pre-infusion etc... though it's a touch difficult to know when pre-infusion has kicked in as the "gap" between the solenoid-open position and pump-on position is quite narrow, and the nature of the cams and switches means there's pressure on the lever to slip back into the former.

Comment

Linea Mini - Very nice. Did you get Rick's mod?
              Hi

Sorry for not being clear as I have not bought yet as I am moving continents in 2 months.
              So I am waiting till we are back home to buy as voltage is different there also

But I am researching now & the only two I am presently interested in are the Mini & the Synchronika

Thanks

Comment

Nice looking machine enjoy

Comment

Hey Paul what are the updates?

Comment

Can't say I'm surprised - it ticks so many boxes. I was previously looking at other DBs and calculating the cost of upgrading to steam/hot water toggles, cool-touch wands, nicer portafilter handles etc... on the ECM there's just nothing left to upgrade! And more importantly it can't be faulted where it really matters - performance and results in the cup. Upgradeitis can't be cured entirely, but I'm confident the Synchronika is a long-term treatment (now, about that Pro800... ).

Long-form review still on the way. Waiting for the honeymoon period to abate - but it's proving somewhat stubborn.

Comment

What if the honeymoon never ends?
                      Little chance of that, machine snobs are always on the lookout for the next new whiz bang on the market.

Comment

I'll eat my hat if I upgrade in the next 3 years...

Comment

The way this site is going Andy is going to need to start stocking a range of hats in Bean Bay.... . Ladies and Gentlemen I bring you CoffeeSnobs Roastery and Millinery 😀

Comment

Originally posted by Melbroaster View Post
                            The way this site is going Andy is going to need to start stocking a range of hats in Bean Bay.... . Ladies and Gentlemen I bring you CoffeeSnobs Roastery and Millinery ��
                            We already have one....
                            CoffeeSnobs - BeanBay - Snob Wear
                            No hats yet though.

Mal.

Comment

Any chance for a video of the Synchronika?
                              Also, do you have the V-Titan as well?

Comment

The Synchronika on my bench last week didn't last 24 hours... I'll post a video next time I get hold of one.
                                I can get the V-Titan but don't hold stock of that one. Most people go for ECM S-Automatic 64
                                Thanks!
                                Really? It's my understanding that the V-Titan is much better than the S-Automatik. It's also much much nicer looking Is there a big price difference?

Marcus

Comment

Working...
                                X