No announcement yet.

Rocket R58 second hand - should I buy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rocket R58 second hand - should I buy?

Hi Coffee Snobs, I'm looking to upgrade my Rancilio Miss Silvia to a Rocket R58. I was planning on buying new, however in the process of researching the machine I found a second hand 1.5 year old R58 on sale for $3000 from a private seller. The current owner says he's looked after it and had it serviced according to the manual, I have no reason to believe there's anything wrong with the machine.

My understanding of this machine is that it's build like a tank and 1.5 years of use will make no difference on the performance of the machine. I'm leaning towards choosing the second hand offering, however given it's interstate I thought I'd better ask here for any hazards I should look out for.

The said machine (easily found by searching on an Australian native tree website) looks like it has been advertised since 12th March. One would have to ask why it wouldn't have sold already at that price. It also says he has looked after it for 1.5 years- does that mean it is 1.5 years old, or he has had it for 1.5 years as the second owner?

I'd be getting someone to check it out if it were me personally.

Comment

Try to view the original sales receipt

Comment

I have been watching this sale as well. Not to buy, just curious as to why it hasn't sold... Even after the recent price drop to $2.7k.

Originally posted by Gavisconi007 View Post
        I'd be getting someone to check it out if it were me personally.
        Couldn't agree more with this.
        Worth paying the extra for a tech to inspect it I think.

Comment

Thanks for the responses, great advice. What're these "grey imports" you speak of?

Yes Gavisconi007 that'd be the one. I mentioned the 3k price because I was interested if anyone thought 3k was a good deal (let alone 2.7k). Seems like a good price then.

I'll see if I can view a receipt and get a friend to check on the ground. Any other suggestions?

Comment

Grey imports are imported from Italy directly. Often not set up properly and also, worth less than Machines bought here.
            The V1 was dodgy. The V2 has PID improvements (thanks to our Chris). Avoid V1
            No- not me Paul (though I am flattered)

ECA would not import V1 due to poor PID performance and when I flew to Sydney to test it, I concurred 110%. A V1 is a liability, not an asset and upgrade to V2 spec = $$$$

Comment

Should Enricomanchez choose to buy this machine, what are the dodgy aspects of the v1 that a tech inspecting the machine should look for? I thought the actual changes on the v2 were simply related to the board/pid and then the rails and magnet on the tray.
              I came across the ad months ago and noticed there was only 1 photo. A bit silly if you're intending to attract buyers but I did see that it had a coiled PID cable so I guess it must be the v2.

Comment

So the machine is a V2, but the catch is it was purchased in the US and so it's 110 volts. The seller will provide a step down transformer which will allow the machine to be used in Australia. I'm still on the fence but very tempted. Thanks for all the great advice I'll report back if I choose to buy.

Comment

My advice would be don't. 110V parts are not available when something needs to be replaced. It's worth something- in the USA. Here? Worthless.

Comment

Walk away from it. Do heed Chris' advice. One small electrical problem and money lost. I have had this experience in the past with audio gear.

Comment

After reading over everyone's advice again I've changed my mind. The potential issues outweigh any short term saving, also, it never feels as good purchasing something special that's not quite right.

For interests sake, I've added some photos of the machine with the step down transformer. Pretty beefy, although you could always install the transformer below the kitchen bench.

Comment

Yep. Whoever purchased it in the USA should have left it there.

When anything at all electrical goes, it needs to be replaced with a part not available in Australia. Whilst it can be serviced, nothing electrical can be attended to with local parts stock. Big mistake to purchase it unless as a $300 throw it out when it breaks proposition. At $2.7k, no way.

Comment

Well it's a good thing you got to the bottom of this enricomanchez..im sure you weren't the only one on cs who might have thought of buying it. I might sell my r58 for a little under this price in a few months should I pull the trigger on a v60 or perhaps go all the way to the gs3. But it's not 1.5 yrs old. It's seen almost 4 years but it's not a 120v at least. Only problem is I won't be shipping out of Brisbane.
                          *****, weren't you recently selling an r58 for almost the same price and pulled it off the sale list? Somebody missed out.

Comment

Actually maybe that wasn't you *****. Think the post was removed once withdrawn for sale but anyway it might have worked out better for enricomanchez is all I was saying.

Comment

That transformer would be PITA. Definitely one to steer clear of

Comment

Working...
                              X