Profitec pro 700 purchase experience and first impressions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Profitec pro 700 purchase experience and first impressions

Hi Coffeesnobs, I thought I'd follow up on my previous post by giving some info about my purchasing experience and thoughts about my chosen machine.

What I had (purchased new 2009):

What I bought (new):

I'd been leaning towards a Rocket R58 and was looking at the different options (new vs 2nd hand), after posting here for advice I was recommend the Quamar grinder and Profitec machine straight away, I did extensive research and talked with other machine sellers but my research always came back that the Profitec would beat out most other machines based on specs in the same price bracket.

So I bit the bullet and charged the whole lot on the company account :-)

A couple of photos:
    Unboxing
    http://i.imgur.com/HxFuG0h.jpg
    Chosen pesado portafilter and basket
    http://i.imgur.com/d1F6cwG.jpg
    Choices Choices Choices
    http://i.imgur.com/R423pyy.jpg

Beautiful range of tampers
    http://i.imgur.com/LIL5nXF.jpg

I should say at this point, that it's never a good idea to set up a new coffee machine at 7pm, I pulled about 20 shots for whoever would drink them, refrigerated the rest, then couldn't sleep until ~3am.

The Quamar Q50 Push grinder is fantastic, it doses out the beans quickly and effectively, way better result than the Rocky. My only criticism is the base cannot support digital scales below the coffee outlet. My Rancilio Rocky would hold my scales below the outlet and the coffee was measured as it was ground, without modification the Quamar can't do this.

The Profitec 700 machine itself is amazing, everything I'd read about and more. One word to describe it would be "shiny". The build quality is beyond impressive and the operation is very easy to use. I plan on plumbing the unit (any suggestions on running a 6mm filter water line to the Profitec supplied tubing would be welcome) which will help immensely as the water tank in the Profitec, whilst larger than the Miss Silvia, seems to disappear very quickly.

My first shot was far better than anything I'd had from any local coffee shops, and they only got better after that. I haven't pulled one bad shot after 3 days of messing around, I attribute that to 1 part magic and 2 parts fantastic temperature regulation in the E61 grouphead. Here's a video of a shot pulled this morning:
    https://youtu.be/7Y0-g32Zfck.

My only criticism of the machine so far is that Jet Black Espresso who import the machines, supply the machines with a modified PID controller which removes one of the settings allowing the user to engage both boilers at the same time, setting F.02 setting 5 has been removed from the supplied system. The the ability for the user to run the machine at 15 amps has been removed for safety reasons. Whilst I can understand the reason behind this, I'd already wired up a 15A outlet for the machine and now cannot use the full functionality of the machine without an expensive PID replacement. Still working this problem out...

I'm already thrilled to have this beast in my kitchen, here's a shot of it on the kitchen bench:
    http://i.imgur.com/2SfqkZh.jpg

EDIT: Images hosted with coffeesnobs weren't loading so replaced with external links
    Last edited by enricomanchez; 23 May 2016, 09:16 AM.

Great machine and great review. Pics not loading for me though?

The shot timer on the PID is a great feature.

Is yours plumbed in and you are doing the pre infusion?

Also good practice to flush the grinds off the shower screen after unlocking PF.

My Duetto is configured so both boilers don't heat at the same time with priority to the brew boiler (10A). I don't find this an issue to be honest, I guess it takes a little bit longer to initially heat the water in the boilers but it's still quite quick.

Enjoy the new toys!

Cheers

Comment

All current Izzo Alex Duetto III and some Duetto II units are configured to heat both boilers simultaneously.

We specified this for AUS stock some years ago and the resultant performance (especially steam) for the machine is superior and amongst (if not) the very best. This configuration draws 2170W total.

A 15A variant is available, but testing did not deliver any significant real world advantage.
      Last edited by TC; 23 May 2016, 08:04 AM. Reason: more info

Comment

The main reason for wanting both boilers activated is to use the hot water want for tea. It should take 2-3 mins to heat the steam boiler for tea, instead we need to wait for the brew boiler then the steam, totalling ~10 mins.

Comment

Kettles do a good job at heating water for tea quickly

Comment

Originally posted by kyeba View Post
            Kettles do a good job at heating water for tea quickly
            Yep, I've discovered that a kettle, electric or gas, is a very quick (less than a minute) and effective method of boiling a small volume of water for a cuppa, and, ya know, the less water in the kettle the quicker it heats.

Something my grand parents taught me, they discovered this for themselves in the early 1900's.

Comment

I have found that water straight from the espresso machine boiler is usually too hot and kills the flavour. If I am making tea or long black, I always use a kettle.

Comment

Profitec pro 700 purchase experience and first impressions

I make tea and long blacks from the hot water wand.

To get a nice temperature I put in a small splash of cold water first, then hot water from the machine, then the teabag or double espresso shot in last.

It's a good idea to use your machine's hot water tap regularly, as it introduces fresh water into the steam boiler.

This turnover of water in the boiler reduces mineral concentration and therefore deters scale.

Comment

Originally posted by enricomanchez View Post

The the ability for the user to run the machine at 15 amps has been removed for safety reasons. Whilst I can understand the reason behind this, I'd already wired up a 15A outlet for the machine and now cannot use the full functionality of the machine without an expensive PID replacement. Still working this
                  I get why they did this. Many (or even most) domestic users will use these machines on timer switches, Wemo's and the like.

These devices all have limits of 2400W or less.

The last thing an importer wants is a spate of house fires from one of their products. Look at how much trouble Samsung is in at the moment. Err on the side of safety.

Comment

We offer the 15A version of our Duetto- uprated element to draw 2570W in total. It cannot be run on 10A

Comment

On Aust. 230V, options are larger elements with priority to brew- Rocket, Profitec et al or 2 x smaller element with simultaneous heating- Izzo.

Manufacturers will sometimes allow importers to configure as they choose so long as the machine does not draw more than 10A when everything is operating. This allows for roughly 2300W of headspace.

The architecture of each machine will influence whether a parallel or sequential approach works best with a particular machine.

Comment

Originally posted by Talk_Coffee View Post
                        On Aust. 230V, options are larger elements with priority to brew- Rocket, Profitec et al or 2 x smaller element with simultaneous heating- Izzo.
                        This relates to the initial heating of the two boilers. Once up to temperature, the PID controllers will draw a moderate current to keep the boilers at the prescribed temperature. Are both boilers active under these conditions?

Otherwise the temperature stability provided by the PID controllers would be impacted, as the switching from one boiler to the other occurs. The boiler that is off will not be maintaining its PID set point.

Perhaps this doesn't matter, since the inherent temperature stability comes from the E61 grouphead, and one is unlikely to notice any impact on the steam.

Comment

Originally posted by herzog View Post
                          I get why they did this. Many (or even most) domestic users will use these machines on timer switches, Wemo's and the like.

These devices all have limits of 2400W or less.

The last thing an importer wants is a spate of house fires from one of their products. Look at how much trouble Samsung is in at the moment. Err on the side of safety.
                          Couldn't agree more. Being able to switch a machine into drawing 15A via a couple of presses on a PID controller is asking for trouble. We don't assume every user will understand the ramifications of what they are doing. Furthermore, having done some side by side testing with a 10A and 15A version of this machine the difference in a normal domestic situation is zip.

For those who are prepared to put in the 15A power point, the Pro 700 can be optioned as a 15A machine when purchasing. And it can also be converted via a controller swap at a later date.

charlie

Comment

Originally posted by dlight View Post
                            Otherwise the temperature stability provided by the PID controllers would be impacted, as the switching from one boiler to the other occurs. The boiler that is off will not be maintaining its PID set point.
                            I would imagine that the alternate switch times would be very, very tiny and such that the PV of either boiler is little effected...

Mal.
                            P.S.
                            This is the case with my DJE DB anyway...
                            Last edited by Dimal; 27 May 2016, 05:17 PM.

Comment

On my PID Silvia the switch time to maintain its small boiler temp is just a 'flicker' on the 'on' light. So I would imagine on the R58 which I now have the switch time on and between each boiler would only be a bit longer flicker. So unless having to heat up a lot , it may 'appear' in slow lime to be a continuous current flow to each - this is the blessing of the PID.

Comment

Working...
                              X