Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Faema E98 loud noise, help!

Hello folks
    I've been using a Faema E98 for a little while and recently it started making a loud whiney noise when brewing. The noise disappeared and returned a few times. Now it seems to be permanent. The video below demonstrates the sound... Note I have a blind filter on and doing a clean but the noise occurs with a normal basket with espresso in as well. I haven't noticed a difference in taste or brewing time.
    Any thoughts on what the problem might be?

Video: https://youtu.be/f4P5luKf-74

Cheers!

Your OPV needs to be overhauled. It's bypassing water and the bypass is vibrating and causing harmonics.

Comment

Ahhhhh, the E98 A1, my first "real" machine.....

Hard to tell exactly from the vid but I reckon your pump has sucked in a bit of air.

The feed from the tank does a loop towards the top so sometimes the pump can struggle to purge the air if it has sucked some in (which it shouldn't be able to as the pump turns off with low water level) but can happen if you have cleaned the tank etc.

Take off the side and read panels and make sure all the tubes are full of water and the inlet is not restricted.

Cheers

Comment

These run a rotary pump so the OPV should only kick in as safety device at 12bar, which can happen if the pump bypass piston sticks and sends the pressure sky high.

Cheers

Comment

Thanks guys!
          I doubt air's gotten in, I am anal about starting my brew with a full tank as this machine drinks so much water (even when filling the tank on boot-up, it puts out a couple hundred mls)!
          I do notice the noise kicks in usually after pressure starts building (rather than at initial brew time)... so does that point to the OPV being defective?
          Is there a way to fix the OPV or do I need to acquire a new one? I'm having trouble finding a replacement online, and they look to be quite pricey from the European websites that sell them! Do I need a new check valve as well?

artman, is the pump bypass piston part of the pump or part of the OPV?

Thanks for your help!

Comment

Faema E98 loud noise, help!

Originally posted by danyboy View Post
            Thanks guys!
            I doubt air's gotten in, I am anal about starting my brew with a full tank as this machine drinks so much water (even when filling the tank on boot-up, it puts out a couple hundred mls)!
            I do notice the noise kicks in usually after pressure starts building (rather than at initial brew time)... so does that point to the OPV being defective?
            Is there a way to fix the OPV or do I need to acquire a new one? I'm having trouble finding a replacement online, and they look to be quite pricey from the European websites that sell them! Do I need a new check valve as well?

artman, is the pump bypass piston part of the pump or part of the OPV?

Thanks for your help!
            Artman's on it: check the bypass piston. They can stick closed (no bypass) and force water through the OPV which may cause whistling. They can stick open too which causes hardly any pressure 4-5bar at the group head.

Comment

Disassembling the OPV/inlet manifold and cleaning scale, swarf and gunk out can clear up the issue.

Comment

I posted my adventures on the pump bypass a few years ago, do a search. It's easily accessible and easy to remove and take apart to clean/lube etc. likewise the OPV.

A brew pressure gauge will be handy to set the brew pressure and safety OPV.

If the pump bypass is stuck and you are getting big pressure, water should be dumping out of the OPV. This would be an easy check.

For parts, when looking through coffeeparts website, the Cimbali section is more relevant. This machine is basically a Cimbali junior pimped with electronics.

Cheers

Comment

Thanks guys
                  I've taken apart the back of the machine and disconnected the OPV and check valve.
                  I don't have a brew pressure gauge and can't be fussed building one with the appropriate fittings...
                  I haven't disassembled the OPV as I'm scared I won't be able to set the pressure to the correct setting if I do without a brew pressure gauge
                  Any advice for cleaning? I'm soaking in vinegar first to loosen up and calcium and will flush some water through afterwards

I'll look up your old threads artman and see what I can dig up

Comment

Just found the thread and post #2 by dimal seems to explain how to clean it.. Looks like I'll have to take it apart
                    http://coffeesnobs.com.au/brewing-eq...tml#post263599

Hopefully I can count the # of turns taking it out and and try and try and re-tighten the same number of times when re-assembling...

Comment

Also I wonder if I should clean out the pump "piston" like you did while I have everything open? But then again I can't calibrate afterwards!
                      I'm confused about the OPV after reading that entire post - does it matter at all how much it's screwed in? If it doesn't affect the brew pressure, what is the point of adjusting it?

Comment

Ok sorry for the serial postings...
                        I measured the extrusion of the piston/adjustable screw in the OPV with a precise ruler, took it apart, soaked it, wiped it and reassembled to close to what it was prior to disassembly. I flushed water through it and through the check valve, reassembled and shoved everything back into the machine
                        While I was at it I just checked how stuck the pump piston was and it seemed to move a quarter turn in either direction quite easily, so I didn't bother cleaning it...I suppose I can always do it another time should I need to

Turned the machine on and first thing I noticed is that the usual filling of the boiler which is USUALLY associated with a good amount of water coming out of the outlet did not occur...ie no water wastage
                        Second, the sound disappeared! Popped the blind filter on and flushed to make sure the pressure gets nice and high, and no more whining. WOOHOO

Thanks guys!

Comment

Good work!!

The adjustment screw on the pump bypass just pre loads the spring. The piston can still be jammed inside, it slides along the shaft.

From memory you should be able to unscrew the complete bypass, remove and clean the piston, re lube and screw back in. All without touching the adjustment pre load.

See if you can get a hold of a brew pressure gauge (Greg Pullman was lending his out for a small fee) then you can adjust the brew pressure to 9 bar and the OPV to 12 bar.

Cheers

Comment

Hmm yeah maybe I'll ask him... Or maybe I'll attempt to build one... It's just the 1/4" fitting on the bottom of the portafilter is tricky to find the right adapter for hooking up standard pipe fittings and pressure gauge...

Did I have to lube the OPV? I didn't actually do that and if so, what lube should I use?

Comment

Faema E98 loud noise, help!

There is a thread here somewhere called Pullmans pressure gauge on the road or something like that.

You should be able to get the fittings from a hydraulics shop like enzed or pirtek. Take your PF and gauge. I think the PF is a 3/8 thread?

From memory the OPV is just a rubber disc sealing against the brass so would be ok without lube. The pump bypass piston needs a bit of lube, not much I just smeared the o rings after cleaning everything. Use a good grade lube, I got a small tube from Jaycar.

Cheers
                              Last edited by artman; 26 May 2016, 01:35 AM. Reason: More info

Comment

Working...
                              X