Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Profitec Pro 700 vs Giotto EVO

Hi Ben..

New to the forum, first post and sorry for jumping on an old thread but I was wondering how you are finding the Pro 700 ?

I am weighing up between the 700 and the Giotto EVO but leaning more towards the Pro so would be very interested to hear your thoughts, ease of use etc.

Thank you in advance for any words of advice.

Cheers,

Alastair

Welcome Alastair.

Yes- Agreed with Paul. Logical competitors to the Profitec are machines such as the Rocket Espresso R58, Izzo Alex Duetto, VBM Domobar 2B et al.

All should be considered and bang for buck should be considered before they're eliminated. The right machine for you is the one which best suits your circumstances.
    Last edited by TC; 28 May 2016, 09:48 AM. Reason: tpyo

Comment

Cheers guys and some good words of advice. I realised that as soon as I hit submit that I mean to say the shortlist is made up of the R58 and Pro 700 at this stage (not the EVO).
      Will pop in to Jet Black over the next few weeks to have a chat with them and hopefully get a feel for the machines.

Also awaiting the release of the new Baratza grinder (Sette 270w)... On paper it looks rather good and hopefully a good match for either machine.

I also came across the Pro 700 thread which has some excellent feedback and reviews from happy owners.

Many more question to come I am sure

Cheers,

Alastair

Comment

Originally posted by Hoggers View Post

Also awaiting the release of the new Baratza grinder (Sette 270w)... On paper it looks rather good and hopefully a good match for either machine.

Cheers,

Alastair
        I'm not saying don't buy this sort of grinder, however I'd be pretty hesitant to jump in with this one. Give it a year or two for people to find its weaknesses if there are any. If you're happy with an appliance level grinder a Breville Smart Grinder can be bought for about a 1/4 of the price. Otherwise look at a tried and tested small planar burr grinder from a reputable maker such as Compak or Anfim/ECA.

Comment

Yes, the Profitec Pro 700 certainly looks the goods and would make my shortlist, as would the Giotto R58. Is there a reason why you have settled on a double boiler?

Also, I would be considering buying your grinder at the same time as your machine.I had a look at the Baratza and, while it may be a good grinder and top of the range for Baratza, the priceline suggests it is a lower end grinder in the 'conical' class, most of which retail for more than $2K. I would be sticking with the tried and trusted brands to match your new machine: Compak, Macap, Mazzer, Profitec, ECA,

Comment

Thanks all for the thoughts and suggestions and your thoughts re the grinder make good sense. I suppose with any new equipment it is alway best to wait for the second or third iteration and give time for any weak points to work themselves out.

As for the double boiler vs single main thought process behind it are hopefully greater flexibility and better consistency and a machine that will grow as my skills and knowledge increases for many years to come.

No real world experience as yet but from reviews, comments on this and other sites the consensus seems to be that a more consistent temp and improved results can be achieved through having greater flexibility/control of separate boiler temps plus, in the case of the Pro 700 I love the idea of the on board PID and shot timer.

I need to save up a little more but hope to be taking the plunge in the next month or so and very much looking forward to it

Thank you for everything and I really appreciate your help and advice and will keep you posted as to what path I venture down.

Cheers and chat soon.

Alastair

Comment

You won't know yourself! I jumped onboard 12 months ago, and have loved the whole ride.

I'm a Sydneysider, and Jetblack were exceptionally helpful to me, both Charlie and Brad via email and in person, let me dip my toe in the water of asking information without the promise of a sale, then once I was ready gave me a great machine/grinder/accessories deal, and excellent after sales support when I needed a tweak (on my HX).

One word of caution - you'll probably need about $400 more than you'd hoped to spend - 'cause things like water filtration and helpful accessories will chew up a bit of your budget.

Comment

Probably 500 in the last month for you Paul

Comment

Originally posted by K_Bean_Coffee
                  WOW - 500 posts in 12 months.
                  !!!RESPECT!!!
                  Quantity and quality are two entirely different things.

Whoops, maybe shot myself in the foot, just did the math, joined in 2009, average post count per year 590+.

Bearing the above in mind, I'm reminded of the quote by Bernard M. Baruch,

“Most of the successful people I’ve known are the ones who do more listening than talking.”

Comment

I both agree and take offence :P

Comment

Originally posted by readeral View Post
                      I both agree and take offence :P
                      Know what you mean, think I've even offended myself.

Comment

No offence there. I think Yelta was trying to say. "You guys are amazing - so many posts and such amazing/outstanding/unequalled quality"
                        Correct Yelta ???
                        Your right, no offence intended, I'll reserve my opinion re the overall standard of content.

Comment

Interesting.... Take the past 8 weeks - My sponsors thread has had over 3000 views and during that 8 weeks there would have been no more that 20-30 people actually posting new content on the forum.
                          That's the nature of advertising Paul, think about it, only a very small percentage of people who read an ad respond, that's why large organisations attempt to reach as many potential customers as possible via TV etc, and of course a larger viewing audience comes with a hefty price tag.

Comment

Cheers Al.. excited and looking forward to beginning the journey.

Jetblack are reasonably local (I live in Concord) so will be along to see the guys over the coming weeks and I must admit that I have heard nothing but great things regarding them.

Thanks for the advice re the add-ons and yep a filter is factored into the mix as well. Plan on plumbing he machine (old kitchen so drilling a hole no hassle and the C150 filters seem to be the way to go (not sure as to the best variant but will see what is suggested).

On a slightly different note.. has anyone done any sort of barista course ? I see Jetblack run one and I am tempted (once I have decided on the machine) to do one. I just feel that an investment of this type warrants every advantage I can get and it would be good to get off on the right foot and learn proper techniques before to many poor habits set in.

Anyway, I so appreciate everyone's feedback and advice.

Cheers.

Alastair

Comment

I did Jetblack's barista course a long time ago. It was very helpful.

Comment

Working...
                              X