Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rocket R58 - how many grams in the stock double basket

Hi All,

I know being outcome based is more important in dosing but I'm keen to know how much ground coffee other Rocket r58 users dose in the stock double basket.

I'm finding with 18g I'm constantly getting a soggy top of puck regardless of the grind. Is this a problem - not at all just keen to see how other people are dosing.

18/19/20/21g?

Do the 5 cent test which will give you the maximum level.

Cheers

Comment

Hi Nick,

I really wouldn't worry too much.

You can dose higher and coarser or lower and finer and so long as grind is suitable, you will get great coffee if your distribution is good (no channels). Half of the fun is experimentation and playing with coffee chemistry, so don't be scared to see what works for your palate. An ugly puck does not necessarily dictate a bad cup.

Cheers

Chris

Comment

Thanks Chris, yes not too fussed. Very happy with the machine

As an aside I'm finding that I'm getting a very thin crema no matter the grind.

Could this be a function of the beans? 5 Senses Dark Horse roasted on 30 June

Comment

As in June last year?

Comment

Expiry date perhaps?

Comment

Originally posted by nickm View Post
              Could this be a function of the beans?
              Almost certainly... I was once a fan, but in general- no longer..

If they were not roasted in the last few weeks, they're stale. Thin crema can also be a product of the very light roasts they prefer...

Comment

Agree. I sometimes buy fresh roasted from AntsInYaPants for comparison reasons and find their beans very lightly roasted to the point where if I try to match similar greens roasted in a bread machine at home, following a standard profile, I have to pull the roast at roughly 215-216C with only barely the slightest hint of second crack in order to match colours. As Chris says, I also find the crema is not eye candy at this level of roast, with either versions of that roast depth. Moving my comparison roast to closer to 220C with definite signs of second crack I find far more consistency than the lightly roasted versions...and I prefer the taste. Of course freshess is everything.

Comment

I suspected it was the light roast. My local cafe uses these beans and I was trying to replicate. They do have a 3 or 4 group Synesso and have excellent barrista's running the show so perhaps my goals were too high!

Comment

BTW I manual dose 19g into a 18g VST on my R58 with a Mazzer Mini e.

Comment

I did start off with 18g and found 19-20g to be the sweeter spot for my grind setting.

Off topic, i currently own the Mazzer Mini E and struggling to get the distribution right. Are you guys spinning the portafilter or just leaving it there?

Comment

I believe I'm getting channeling with my grinder (64mm burs) unless I'm careful about my dose/tamp procedure. I'm not spinning the portafilter however I am trying the overdose then wipe using my finger for a level dose before tamping.

I'm enjoying using this CoffeeSnobs - BeanBay - Cafelat Coffee Accessories - Cafelat Mirror Tamping Stand to assist in tamping

Comment

Using the Mini e and manually dosing 19g, I hit the double and collapse when it finishes (about half the total grind) and then the single, sweep out, collapse and tamp. I find the first collapse helps greatly with distribution, although on some days it makes no difference at all. My guess is bean age and storage, environment, humidity, temperature etc all seem to play a part at different times and for different beans too.

Comment

No body will want to read this, but we have recently swapped the standard Giotto basket for Silvia baskets that hold 14 grams max! We restrict the dose to 20ml for the smaller cups and 25ml for the larger cups at home. It's timed rate is 27 ml is 27 secs. The R58 (Kony-e) is at Home and a Giotto PID (M4D) at work. Against all my better judgement and good practice, I am getting a very sweet cup, that has a delayed kick and a nice round after taste. (And a nice puck that falls out of the filter). Ps Cimalino or Typica house blends beans only ever less than a month from roasting.

Comment

Ill read it. I like to read about people that are using different ways and getting something in the cup that they like, after all, that's what its about, what you like.

Comment

Working...
                              X