Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dodgy Bros..

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Dodgy Bros..

    Contact yesterday from a bloke who has been a long term client of ours...

    He recently purchased a new LM prosumer machine and we lost the sale- to a prominent Melbourne establishment. The mob concerned sold at a price where it was not viable for us to assume the warranty risk on the machine lest something went belly up and we had to do a repair..

    It turns up that something has gone belly up. Rare- but it happens...

    The seller concerned had parts only warranty (which I believe may be illegal and is regardless entirely unethical) in the fine print on the tax invoice our guy received..

    Just a few months later and the seller informs him they don't do warranty repairs on prosumer gear- so he's on his own...

    Be sure you are receiving apples if you purchase them...

  • #2
    Does consumer laws not apply equally to both retail and business buyers? I've always assumed so but maybe this isn't the case?

    Comment


    • #3
      He is protected by Australian law :

      https://www.accc.gov.au/consumers/co...re-guaranteed-

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by MrFreddofrog View Post
        Does consumer laws not apply equally to both retail and business buyers? I've always assumed so but maybe this isn't the case?
        No, they don't. There is some (forthcoming) protection for small business purchasers. And there is obviously the rest of the common and statute law.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Melbroaster View Post
          He is protected by Australian law :

          https://www.accc.gov.au/consumers/co...re-guaranteed-
          From the above link, this requirement is the crux of the current issue:

          "have spare parts and repair facilities available for a reasonable time after purchase unless you were told otherwise."

          The last phrase is probably the killer.

          Comment


          • #6
            Your customer can speak to the vendor and call their bluff, or he can have the ACCC do it. Either way he is covered

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Melbroaster View Post
              Your customer can speak to the vendor and call their bluff, or he can have the ACCC do it. Either way he is covered
              Yeah. He no doubt will. Sad that it needs to happen this way. I'd dearly love to "out" the seller, but.... #servicedendeduponsale

              Comment


              • #8
                In that case, unless he was clearly told about the parts limitation he would have a strong case. Consumer protection takes a very dim view of things written in small print.

                Also printing it on the receipt would mean you weren't informed until after you purchased it so you bought it without being told otherwise (assuming he wasn't told in the first place).

                So I'm siding with Melbroaster, either way he should be covered.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Talk_Coffee View Post
                  Yeah. He no doubt will. Sad that it needs to happen this way. I'd dearly love to "out" the seller, but.... #servicedendeduponsale
                  I'm all for "name and shame", but only once I've heard the whole story. Two sides to every coin and we haven't heard the vendors side as yet.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by MrFreddofrog View Post
                    In that case, unless he was clearly told about the parts limitation he would have a strong case. Consumer protection takes a very dim view of things written in small print.

                    Also printing it on the receipt would mean you weren't informed until after you purchased it so you bought it without being told otherwise (assuming he wasn't told in the first place).

                    So I'm siding with Melbroaster, either way he should be covered.
                    I think the client will ultimately be covered as well.

                    He would have to have paid a few hundy more to purchase one from us and decided to take the savings which is fine. Regardless of the fact we didn't get the sale, I am sorry for him as we have a long term relationship as he has purchased a fair bit of gear from us. He expressed regret at choosing to purchase elsewhere and I hope it all works out (eventually) for him.

                    Nevertheless, I subscribe to the 5-11 theory of marketing: Have a good experience, you may tell five...Have a bad experience, you will probably tell eleven.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Talk_Coffee View Post
                      I think the client will ultimately be covered as well.

                      Nevertheless, I subscribe to the 5-11 theory of marketing: Have a good experience, you may tell five...Have a bad experience, you will probably tell eleven.
                      So true.

                      Still, it would be good the hear the other side not that we ever will.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by MrFreddofrog View Post
                        So true.

                        Still, it would be good the hear the other side not that we ever will.
                        There's probably not much to it really and could be summed up like this-

                        To be able to offer more competitive prices we only offer a limited warranty and after sales service and import direct from source rather than through the official distributor. This is the basis on which we sell and we don't try to hide it from our customers. We believe we are doing things within the law.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by LeroyC View Post
                          There's probably not much to it really and could be summed up like this-

                          To be able to offer more competitive prices we only offer a limited warranty and after sales service and import direct from source rather than through the official distributor. This is the basis on which we sell and we don't try to hide it from our customers. We believe we are doing things within the law.
                          Erm nope- not a grey import resold in Australia. Just dodgy/illegal practice...

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Talk_Coffee View Post
                            Erm nope- not a grey import resold in Australia. Just dodgy/illegal practice...
                            Yeah sounds like it. They might defend themselves in this sort of fashion though, try to make it look legit. Obviously we don't know the details like you do Chris. Doesn't sound good though.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by K_Bean_Coffee
                              This is a problem that's far too common. There are a few online retailers doing this. There's one on Gumtree listing prices ex-GST. When you click on the ad you need to ready through paragraphs to find the ex-GST and parts-only warranty condition.
                              Both are illegal practices.
                              Probably that Marrickville guy on Gumtree - I've seen him/her do that. Even my parents' accountant tried the ex-GST scam on them. Although I reported it and another 51 items of malpractise/incompetence to the The Institute of CA, they slapped him hardest for quoting ex-GST.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X