Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brugnetti / Aurora twin group restoration - need some advice re: controller board

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Brugnetti / Aurora twin group restoration - need some advice re: controller board

    Hi everyone,
    Long time lurker, first time poster.

    So a little while ago, I was driving to work and saw a coffee machine left out for council pick-up. With no experience in restoring coffee machines, I decided picking it up and restoring it myself was the best course of action. Many months later, here we are, and it's almost done.

    However, I've just discovered a blown capacitor on the Gicar controller board. I've googled for every number I can find printed on the thing, and can't find any information anywhere. On here, I've found a few posts about being able to swap them with other brands of controller, so I'm assuming they're reasonably generic? Anyway - if I wanted to replace the whole thing, where would one go about finding a replacement? Are these controllers fairly generic, or do you need the right one for your machine? Any advice is greatly appreciated. My fallback plan is to replace the capacitors on the existing board.

    Thanks all!

    Justin

  • #2
    If it's just the capacitor they are pretty easy to replace (assuming thru-hole mounting).

    Comment


    • #3
      If you can find the Gicar unit model details, and then post them up here, someone may be able help you out with troubleshooting and component ID...

      Mal.

      Comment


      • #4
        Here's what I've got off the board.

        The board is a GICAR board and has a few numbers on it:
        8.5.81.15
        CS5 (the CS are stylised)
        Type 194V0
        05-42858 (this is on a stickerrather than printed on the board)


        The capacitor in question has fairly obviously blown. You can see where it has exploded out the side.

        Comment


        • #5
          For those who might be interested, here's some before and afters of the machine.

          BEFORE




          AFTER

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by juzzie79 View Post
            Here's what I've got off the board.

            The board is a GICAR board and has a few numbers on it:
            8.5.81.15
            CS5 (the CS are stylised)
            Type 194V0
            05-42858 (this is on a stickerrather than printed on the board)


            The capacitor in question has fairly obviously blown. You can see where it has exploded out the side.

            Those are not capacitors but 'snubbers'. Internally it's a capacitor with a resistor in series.
            You should find a 'capacitance' as Well as a resistance value printed on it.
            I replacement those on a gicar unit from a carimali uno. I soldered half the needed redistance on each leg from a capacitor to replace them all.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by martinierius View Post
              Those are not capacitors but 'snubbers'. Internally it's a capacitor with a resistor in series.
              You should find a 'capacitance' as Well as a resistance value printed on it.
              I replacement those on a gicar unit from a carimali uno. I soldered half the needed redistance on each leg from a capacitor to replace them all.
              Late reply, but just wanted to say thanks. I was able to purchase some replacement snubbers and despite my limited soldering skills got the old ones off and the new ones on. And now it works! Win! My next step is connecting the machine up and testing that I can get water coming out of the various places it's supposed to when it's supposed to. However, I was able to press buttons and get the solenoids to open and such. So that's a win.

              Comment


              • #8
                Great, glad I could help!

                Comment

                Working...
                X