Synesso MVP Hydra 1 Group, thoughts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Synesso MVP Hydra 1 Group, thoughts?

Over the last year or so I've been contemplating going all out and buying a Synesso MVP Hydra 1 Group, now that I finally am ready to go ahead I thought I'd get your help and ask you all for your thoughts and possible suggestions.

I like the look and function of the Slayer and love the look of the Kees Van Speedster, but my conclusion is the Hydra is functionally a level above these? It sure isn't as good to look at.

I currently own a slightly modified GS3 MP that I do really enjoy using everyday, but I think I'm ready to try a different system mostly out of curiosity.

I've recently started roasting at home too, which may be fun to play with profiling or it may confuse me. I like the thought of the Synesso being as complicated and as simple to use as you like it to be. Having a volumetric mode is great for constancy which I value.

Thank you.

Whats the advantage over a vesuvius?

Comment

looks wise id take the slayer or the speedster which is what i am thinking about, but if i had the gs3, i doubt i'd even consider an upgrade.
      I notice it requires a 20amp circuit (which i assume you must have?)
      Are you able to go try one, its the one thing i would definitely want to do before taking the plunge.

I do know one thing though, if you do decide to go down that path, my hands are up high for that lovely gs3 of yours

Comment

Originally posted by Jono_Willmer View Post
        I like the look and function of the Slayer and love the look of the Kees Van Speedster, but my conclusion is the Hydra is functionally a level above these? It sure isn't as good to look at.
        Agree re Hydra a level above re pressure profiling sophistication (Speedster I think is none and Slayer alters flow not pressure I think).
        Other than pressure profiling - I think it is about what look you prefer.

What is your driver? What do you expect to get out of your new machine?
        Looks to me, from your choices, that you are after pressure profiling and want to work with that?

Temp wise, it's not clear to me whether the Slayer/Hydra provide any substantial benefit over a GS3.

I would buy the Speedster - classic espresso machine and art - with yellow stripes on the sides.

I would not take advantage of the flow/pressure profiling aspects, so that also helps to rule out Slayer and Hydra for me.

My view was that the Slayer and Hydra were just trying to reproduce the benefits of the pressure profile of a Lever Machine, so I bought one of those.
        Ideally, I'd have a two group Izzo Leva.

Good article on pressure profiling here: http://www.jimseven.com/2011/02/08/c...ure-profiling/

Good post on possible benefits of pressure profiling here, which I though put a case for taking it up: http://www.home-barista.com/espresso...ds-t29380.html

Comment

I'd go a Speedster with the Idro-Matic pressure profiling upgrade by a mile. It is an iconic piece of design.

There's no way to sugar coat this: that Synesso is really ugly. Looks like something from Soviet Union.
          Last edited by herzog; 19th July 2017, 08:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by herzog View Post
            I'd go a Speedster with the Idro-Matic pressure profiling upgrade by a mile. It is an iconic piece of design.

There's no way to sugar coat this: that Synesso is really ugly. Looks like something from Soviet Union.
            Is the mod you mentioned a factory fitted option or aftermarket? I can't watch the video at the moment I'm overseas and internet is very slow. Thanks for your insights.

Comment

Originally posted by Melbroaster View Post
              Whats the advantage over a vesuvius?
              Saturated group maybe?

Comment

Originally posted by JohnA View Post
                looks wise id take the slayer or the speedster which is what i am thinking about, but if i had the gs3, i doubt i'd even consider an upgrade.
                I notice it requires a 20amp circuit (which i assume you must have?)
                Are you able to go try one, its the one thing i would definitely want to do before taking the plunge.

I do know one thing though, if you do decide to go down that path, my hands are up high for that lovely gs3 of yours
                The 20 amp circuit isn't a worry, but it may be if I ever tried to sell.

I guess I'm just looking at getting something that is next level and want the features of a Synesso. I wonder if there is anything else in the category to consider?

Comment

Originally posted by AlMac View Post
                  Agree re Hydra a level above re pressure profiling sophistication (Speedster I think is none and Slayer alters flow not pressure I think).
                  Other than pressure profiling - I think it is about what look you prefer.

What is your driver? What do you expect to get out of your new machine?
                  Looks to me, from your choices, that you are after pressure profiling and want to work with that?

Temp wise, it's not clear to me whether the Slayer/Hydra provide any substantial benefit over a GS3.

I would buy the Speedster - classic espresso machine and art - with yellow stripes on the sides.

I would not take advantage of the flow/pressure profiling aspects, so that also helps to rule out Slayer and Hydra for me.

My view was that the Slayer and Hydra were just trying to reproduce the benefits of the pressure profile of a Lever Machine, so I bought one of those.
                  Ideally, I'd have a two group Izzo Leva.

Good article on pressure profiling here: http://www.jimseven.com/2011/02/08/c...ure-profiling/

Good post on possible benefits of pressure profiling here, which I though put a case for taking it up: http://www.home-barista.com/espresso...ds-t29380.html
                  I'm a bit of a gadget man and love the complex-simplicity that the Synesso brings on one hand it seems a manual machine, but can quickly turn into an auto volumetric. I love industrial quality stuff and look for tough reliable products. I hoped that the Synesso would bring that too. I love the looks of the slayer and speedster, but don't know if I would be happy with the more manual approach thus the reason I don't see myself with a lever machine. My thoughts are that I like the idea of an upgrade, but I doubt it will make that much difference in my hands.

Comment

Is the mod you mentioned a factory fitted option or aftermarket? I can't watch the video at the moment I'm overseas and internet is very slow. Thanks for your insights.
                    Factory option

Comment

Factory option
                      Thanks I'll have to track down some more info cheers.

Comment

wonder if there is anything else in the category to consider?
                        Strada single group?

Comment

Strada single group?

I think you've got me, I'm emailing for the Kees Van Der Western idro-matic price list for ordering.

So do you manually adjust the knob on top as you pour the shot? Sorry for the ignorance.

Comment

Saturated group maybe?
                            And on the fly pressure profiling? Vesuvius can't do this I don't think? Sounds like you're heading towards the modded KVDV Speedster. That thing looks awesome. Of all the other machines mentioned if I was in a position to be shopping in this market I'd be looking at the Strada first, Slayer second, or maybe a high end lever. Keep us up to date with how you go Jono, will be very interested to see what you get.

Comment

Originally posted by LeroyC View Post
                              And on the fly pressure profiling? Vesuvius can't do this I don't think? Sounds like you're heading towards the modded KVDV Speedster. That thing looks awesome. Of all the other machines mentioned if I was in a position to be shopping in this market I'd be looking at the Strada first, Slayer second, or maybe a high end lever. Keep us up to date with how you go Jono, will be very interested to see what you get.
                              I find the strada looks to similar to an unmodified GS3 I think it would end up needing to go to Spect or the like for detailing.

What's the main benefit of the strada?

And what is it your not a fan of when it comes to the Kees?

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                              X