Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

La Cimbali m21 Junior s1

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • La Cimbali m21 Junior s1

    Hi All,

    I think I have scored an absolute bargain here. I have brought a 2002 La Cimbali Junior s1 for $300. Apparently its in "good working order" but I am yet to see it run, and is missing a few accessories, mostly a portafilter.

    Looking forward to getting it home this afternoon and opening it up to have a look on the inside. Exterior of the machine looks in terrific order. It also has a sticker from Supreme Coffee, so it seems to at least have been serviced as some stage in its life

    Now to purchase a new portafilter, quality basket and tamper. A massive step up from the sunbeam cafe espresso ii I currently have.

    Let the learning curve begin.

  • #2
    Nice pickup kelvin8r, I had one for a few months around the same vintage. If you picked this up around Brisbane it might even be the same machine.

    Very solid machine which is a full commercial machine with a huge boiler 4.5l boiler from memory but still runs off an internal tank. This is a HX (heat exchanger) machine so you can steam and make your coffee at the same time.

    They run a standard 58mm group so standard baskets and accessories should fit. Not sure about group handles but there is a place down on the Gold Coast, Qld which refurbs coffee gear that might have some used ones (PM me if you get stuck).

    You might find now your grinder will struggle to keep up as the one I had was pretty hard to dial in and required a very fine grind setting, but at the time I had an old Breville grinder.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by roosterben View Post
      Nice pickup kelvin8r, I had one for a few months around the same vintage. If you picked this up around Brisbane it might even be the same machine.

      Very solid machine which is a full commercial machine with a huge boiler 4.5l boiler from memory but still runs off an internal tank. This is a HX (heat exchanger) machine so you can steam and make your coffee at the same time.

      They run a standard 58mm group so standard baskets and accessories should fit. Not sure about group handles but there is a place down on the Gold Coast, Qld which refurbs coffee gear that might have some used ones (PM me if you get stuck).

      You might find now your grinder will struggle to keep up as the one I had was pretty hard to dial in and required a very fine grind setting, but at the time I had an old Breville grinder.
      Thanks Rooster. I'm over in Perth (just updated profile haha)

      Definitely going to have some grinder issues, I'm currently running a hand-me-down breville bcg450 that I've modded thanks the posts on the forum.

      Comment


      • #4
        Alright, very excited, nervous, lost, but mostly excited haha

        Ive brought the machine home, filled the tank, downloaded the manual off the Internet and fired it up.

        Super noisy, was my first thought! Seems the pump struggled to drag water through the water softener. I remember seeing something around recharging the water softener with salt. Job for the weekend!

        Finally I could hear water starting to drain into the boiler, perfect! Also run so much quieter once water was actually running through it. Boiler fills and cuts the pump, everything working fine there.

        Heating element light kicks into action, doesn't trip the power circuit. Excellent, don't have a blown element! Pressure starts to build on the gauge. As it start to near the green one, that's when I hear the hiss.... Ahh crap! I start to see the steam leaching from the sides of the unit.

        The pressure gauge got to around 1.5bar before it settle down and dropped back to around 1.2bar. The thermostat? Stayed stuck open the whole time, blowing steam around.

        I turned the machine off and opened the side panels. This showed this issue has been present for quite a while.

        Suggestions on where to go from here?

        Comment


        • #5
          Mate unless you are happy with that I'd probably be talking to the seller about a refund they have misrepresented the product. While no doubt a great little machine when working propery it looks like you have a fair amount of work in front of you to seal those leaks and tidy all that up.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Hoggy42 View Post
            Mate unless you are happy with that I'd probably be talking to the seller about a refund they have misrepresented the product. While no doubt a great little machine when working propery it looks like you have a fair amount of work in front of you to seal those leaks and tidy all that up.
            Thanks Hoggy! Have made contact with the seller and they're happy to have it returned.

            Comment


            • #7
              Doesn’t look that bad in the pics? The thermostat has three sets of contacts. You have two spares to swap over.

              These are a beast and capable of ripper brews. Very simple too.

              If you are the tinkering rule my gut feel is it won’t take much to get this cranking. Perhaps see if you can renegotiate and have some funds to fix?

              Cheers

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by artman View Post
                Doesn’t look that bad in the pics? The thermostat has three sets of contacts. You have two spares to swap over.

                These are a beast and capable of ripper brews. Very simple too.

                If you are the tinkering rule my gut feel is it won’t take much to get this cranking. Perhaps see if you can renegotiate and have some funds to fix?

                Cheers
                Thanks Artman, the rest of the machine didn't seem too bad, machine ran up really nice, steaming was awesome. Will definitely need a good scrub and clean, both internally and externally. Looks pretty neglected, even the shower screen was full old coffee gunk

                This is the little fella that's caused most of the issues I think, it was releasing pressure before the gauge even reached the green zone. Blowing that much steam around inside that housing has caused most, if not all of the rust and build up. Would that be the safety valve?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Anti-vac valve?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Might need a parts diagram to confirm but I think that is the anti-vac valve. If you search on this site you will find my old thread and others re stuck anti-vacs which are common on this model.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by roosterben View Post
                      Might need a parts diagram to confirm but I think that is the anti-vac valve. If you search on this site you will find my old thread and others re stuck anti-vacs which are common on this model.
                      That's the thread I was just reading which made me think it was the Anti-vac instead of a pressure relief

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        That’s the anti vac valve. Unscrew it, take it apart and buy a new o ring for it (get a dozen while you’re at the bearing shop, they are a few cents each). Or you can buy a complete anti vac valve (but shouldn’t be needed). You will probably find the o ring perished and hence not sealing. The safety valve is longer, a few cm in height/length.

                        There is a heap of manuals for these in the manuals section.

                        Pull the group collar off (be super careful if the three bolts are right and rusty so you don’t snap them off), remove the seal and shower screen and give everything a good clean. Grab a few group seals from coffeeparts , the conical type I had best results with, I think they are under Faema section? Will be obvious when you see the group diagrams. It’s been a few years since I played with these.

                        The fitting with the small barb at the base of the boiler is a drain. You can connect a tube to it and crack it open to easily drain it for rescaling if required.

                        When you remove the anti vac valve have a peek inside to see condition of boiler.

                        Cheers

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Will need a serious descale too. I had an older model, did the full strip down and soaked everything in citric acid solution and replaced all the orings. Took me a while to complete but could be done in a day if you're committed, although that scale looks like it'll need an extended bath

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            The leaking joints can look bad over time but might. It be that bad once cleaned up outside. Not necessarily an indication of internal scale.

                            Has another look at your pics:

                            This is the drain for boiler. Hold green while cracking open red (don’t stress boiler to fitting joints) to drain via hole.



                            This adjusts the boiler pressure. The nut preloads the spring. Take off tension to lower pressure. Start at around 1 bar.



                            Hard to tell from the pics, but this should be the safety valve. On its side via the 90 degree fitting.



                            It should have a pin on the end you can pull to check it’s springy. Don’t do when hot as steam will go nuts and easy to get burnt.

                            Only down side to these machines is the need for cooling flush - it’s a non thermo syphon design so the heat exchanger sits there getting super hot. It’s easy to do, just run group until the spitting and steam stops. These are made to continually crank out the shots.

                            You will need a cimbali/faema e98 group handle, the e61 doesn’t fit from memory.

                            Have fun!

                            Cheers

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by artman View Post
                              That’s the anti vac valve. Unscrew it, take it apart and buy a new o ring for it (get a dozen while you’re at the bearing shop, they are a few cents each).
                              Most bearing places will stock nitrile O rings as standard, probably not a great idea as nitrile won't last long in these conditions.

                              In industry it's usual to use Viton in these sorts of conditions, usually a fair bit more than a few cents each.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X