Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ECM Synchronika & V-Titan purchased - setup questions

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • ECM Synchronika & V-Titan purchased - setup questions

    So I’ve got my new Synchronika & v-Titan all setup, and I watched the whole latte love video on dialling in you machine & grinder. I have the machine setup at 93 & just under 9 bar for the brew & 127 (1.6 bar) for the steam


    I watched the whole latte love video on dialling in your grinder and they were talking about 18g in the basket. For my basket it took 22g to fill it, which really threw me.

    - I have the IMS COMPETITION 28.5, and I’m thinking it’s just a massive basket which is meant to take that much - 22g
    - should I go get the 26.5, or the 24.5 in order to do 18g doubles? I’m thinking the 22g double would work well when using the double spout so I’ll keep it.
    - also I noticed my pucks were quite wet too, I was tamping to roughly where a ridge would be if the basket was ridged. The pucks weren’t as dry as I’m used to seeing so not sure what was happening there.

    I might be able to get a video tomorrow to show people what’s going on.


    for the photos attached I extracted 65ml from 22g, the shot went relatively well I think and apart from being very strong the latte I made was really, really nice. I would describe it as strong and sweet which wa super interesting.

    Lighting on the latte is dark.

    Click image for larger version

Name:	F2992A65-318A-4400-A1CD-12A6DEC195AC.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	260.9 KB
ID:	763322
    Click image for larger version

Name:	05F0CDDD-CA0C-472D-BB83-9255E9AA2A40.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	186.6 KB
ID:	763323

  • #2
    It sounds like you are enjoying your new equipment. It is a nice experience to have. Good onya.

    I actually went back to my standard Wega basket and portafilter holder (chrome/brass) after an IMS 26.5. I liked the fact that the standard one holds 18grams.

    I like your grinder by the way. It looks a million dollars. Machine is nice too although E61 machines have a certain similarity in the looks department for obvious reasons with the big E61 group head.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by wattgn View Post
      It sounds like you are enjoying your new equipment. It is a nice experience to have. Good onya.

      I actually went back to my standard Wega basket and portafilter holder (chrome/brass) after an IMS 26.5. I liked the fact that the standard one holds 18grams.

      I like your grinder by the way. It looks a million dollars. Machine is nice too although E61 machines have a certain similarity in the looks department for obvious reasons with the big E61 group head.
      if I pick up the IMS 24.5 it’ll hold 18g. This I think will be the basket I use most. Then I’ll use the monster for doing 2 coffees at once for guests.

      here’s a pick of the machine in-situ. Torture having a new machine and throwing out my perfect coffee, but at 22g I would not have slept AT ALL.

      Click image for larger version

Name:	461592A6-4243-4EF6-BC85-FFA620426809.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	250.6 KB
ID:	750807

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Sleeprequired View Post
        if I pick up the IMS 24.5 it’ll hold 18g. This I think will be the basket I use most. Then I’ll use the monster for doing 2 coffees at once for guests.

        here’s a pick of the machine in-situ. Torture having a new machine and throwing out my perfect coffee, but at 22g I would not have slept AT ALL.

        [ATTACH=CONFIG]23738[/ATTACH]
        It should be OK but I think it holds 20g the way I do it. I have both the 24.5 and 26.5 baskets.

        I'm not sure of the value of competition baskets except they do maximise extraction...except you may or may not want that. It seems to be the holy grail for light roasts, increasing extraction. The baskets from IMS definitely require a slightly finer grind.

        Setup looks very nice.

        Comment


        • #5
          Very "schmick" indeed 'Sr'...

          Mal.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Sleeprequired View Post
            - also I noticed my pucks were quite wet too, I was tamping to roughly where a ridge would be if the basket was ridged. The pucks weren’t as dry as I’m used to seeing so not sure what was happening there.
            Nice set up! Sounds like you're definately in the ballpark with only some minor tweaking to figure out as you go. I only have a couple of suggestions:

            FWIW I would take everything WLL say about techniques with a grain of salt. They have some ok rules of thumb to get a complete newbie started but by the time you can do what they say consistently you should have already moved on to more consistent methods. You'll be better off tamping with a consistent pressure rather than a depth. Also you'll be more consistent if your measure your yield in grams.

            If you want suggestions on tamping try this: https://youtu.be/SnieoHAGlds

            The whole "Extract Everything" series by Chris Baca is great.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by level3ninja View Post
              Nice set up! Sounds like you're definately in the ballpark with only some minor tweaking to figure out as you go. I only have a couple of suggestions:

              FWIW I would take everything WLL say about techniques with a grain of salt. They have some ok rules of thumb to get a complete newbie started but by the time you can do what they say consistently you should have already moved on to more consistent methods. You'll be better off tamping with a consistent pressure rather than a depth. Also you'll be more consistent if your measure your yield in grams.

              If you want suggestions on tamping try this: https://youtu.be/SnieoHAGlds

              The whole "Extract Everything" series by Chris Baca is great.
              thank you all for the assistance. I bailed on the IMS basket because i want to be able to run 22's for doing 2 coffees at once, and maybe a 15 / 18 for my doubles when i'm in the mood and from what i can tell the only ones that can do that are the VST's.

              Jeez didn't i have a hard time dialling in the grinder after changing baskets. Beans ran out half way through dialling in too just to throw a spanner in the works lol.

              ah his video on frothing is awesome!! thanks for that.

              Comment


              • #8
                I've never used the V Titan, but most grinders have levels in the hopper that keep grind outputs consistent for a given setting. E.g. with the hopper completely full your shot will pour slower than with it nearly empty even without changing the grind setting. Until you figure out exactly where the invisible lines are that you shouldn't cross, a good rule of thumb is to assume they're at 1/3 and 2/3 of the vertical height of the hopper above the grinder. I would suggest not letting the beans get below 1/3 and topping up only to 2/3. This ought to make dialling in easier (and cheaper!)

                Comment


                • #9
                  I just top up my grinder to the bottom of the hopper so just fill the neck of the Robur and top it up after each shot. It depends on the grinder. If I let mine say run out mid shot then add more beans (just enough) then it will grind coarser but that circumstance rarely happens.

                  Some Robur owners remove the hopper and just put their beans into the neck and make a cover for it.

                  Whatever you have you adapt to in different ways.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    A lot of grinder manufacturers actually install a shield above the throat of the hopper to control the weight of beans entering the grind chamber. So long as you keep the quantity of beans in the hopper above this shield, your grind output will be consistent. People often refer to this as a "Finger Guard" but that's not its primary function...

                    Mal.

                    Click image for larger version

Name:	Mazzer-Kony-Hopper-Complete.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	10.4 KB
ID:	750813

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Wow, Mal, I didn't known that...I was in the finger guard camp until you enlightened me. Nice to keep learning from the wisdom of others.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Ah yes the Titan has one of those. In that case I should ensure the coffee is up to the shield at all times. Good to know.

                        it’s a very steep learning curve but I do love a challenge.

                        im going a bit of reading on extraction and learning that a double shot done ristretto would mean pulling 18g baskets at 36g and lower. I’ve been pulling 45-60, no wonder my lattes are so strong when I have them.

                        my glasses are 250ml, how would you guys recommend to setup shots for lattes? I’m thinking of ordering the 7g and 15g, but if you have some advice or know a thread that explain it that’d be great.

                        I hust read one where the ‘recipe’ is 18g, 27s extraction, 30g out. Is this how I should be doing it or extract more on a smaller basket?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Dimal View Post
                          A lot of grinder manufacturers actually install a shield above the throat of the hopper to control the weight of beans entering the grind chamber. So long as you keep the quantity of beans in the hopper above this shield, your grind output will be consistent. People often refer to this as a "Finger Guard" but that's not its primary function...

                          Mal.

                          [ATTACH=CONFIG]23747[/ATTACH]
                          Well, if I did that for the Robur it would be several weeks of beans.... I think even for the V-Titan it would be a lot of coffee.

                          Just filling it into the throat of any hopper may be enough, you just need to experiment.

                          I take the point that it is to reduce pressure on the grinding chamber but in home use it is probably unlikely it will ever get filled up to there.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Pulling 36 grams of coffee is more of an extended double than a ristretto which would be at most half that size ( but still using 18 grams of grounds).

                            How much coffee do you want in your latte? Whatever tastes good. I find that about 160 mls of coffe, once steamed, fills the cup to the very top, including about 10-15 mls of froth.

                            The coffee amount in there would be about 18 grams. We haven't used sugar for decades, but again it's up to personal taste...and probably habit.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Dimal View Post
                              A lot of grinder manufacturers actually install a shield above the throat of the hopper to control the weight of beans entering the grind chamber. So long as you keep the quantity of beans in the hopper above this shield, your grind output will be consistent. People often refer to this as a "Finger Guard" but that's not its primary function...

                              Mal.
                              My experience is hardly universal, but I've only every used one grinder where that seemed to be the case, the Mahlkoenig Vario was happy as long as you kept the beans above the neck and didn't seem to have an upper limit (perhaps due to the small hopper). Every other grinder I've used has these two invisible thresholds. Even though the weight is not going vertically down on the beans in the throat, surely the weight pushing down around the guard must change with the weight of beans above it, even if only from the beans sitting in the outside part of the hopper that's wider than the neck? I feel some science coming on, home made jigs to hold a hopper hovering over some scales so only the beans are touching it, but alas I have a hopperless Niche. Will have to borrow one... or six.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X