No announcement yet.

ECM Technika V - Weak steam pressure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That makes the profitec better in regards to steam pressure for the given group temp, but it doesn't have a rotary or shot counter which eliminates it for me.

Comment

Aintmissb - the 4 hole steam tip for the Technika Profi V produces more powerful steam pressure because a) there are double the holes and b) the holes are in the order of twice the size. ie a serious improvement. With the PID setting at 125 I have steam pressure starting at 1.4 bar.

Charlie - The temp chart given in the manual gives a confidence to novice users which is unwarranted on a couple of counts. It implies, to me, the temperature is at the portafilter AND that it will be a sustained temperature. Neither is the case. As I understand it the temp given is likely to mean a reading where the thermometer can be screwed into the GH and it is not explained that the temperature at the portafilter will be 1.5 to 2 degrees lower. With my PID set to 125 here is my recording of one draw:
      Seconds 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27
      Draw Temp 89.4 90 92.8 93.9 94.9 95.4 95.7 95.7 95.2 95.2 94.6 94.6 94.3 93.9 93.9 93.8 93.7 93.7 93.6 93.6 93.5 93.5 93.4 93.4 93.3 93.3 93.2 93.1
      The flush temp went, over 7 seconds, from 90.7 to 96.5. A lot of the draw would have been dropping, at the portafilter, from 93.5 down to 91.5. If I had waited for full temperature and gone straight into a draw it would have started at about 98 degrees and burnt the coffee. In this example the machine hadn't reached full resting temp.
      It shouldn't be so complicated, but with Hx machines, you can't get around it.
      What would be more helpful would be if the likes of ECM simply provided a more in depth chart which included flushing and recovery times per PID setting to reach X Average temp at portafilter. These are incredible machines and a major investment. I think there is room for improvement in the operating manuals, which tend to be way too minimalistic and, in the case of the PID charts, not overly accurate

Comment

I’ve upgraded to the 4 hole tip and set the PID to 125.
        I give a 5-6 sec flush with the machine at full temp before pulling a shot and I’m now getting good results.

Comment

All very interesting posts. I changed PID to 125 at first, then was concerned about a too high GH temperature and backed it off to 123. Steam pressure was about 1.4 bars at 125, 1.2 bars at 123. Steaming milk is OK, but I wouldn’t say that there is tons of steam available. According the the manual, which Jet Black Espresso posts, I should be at 95.5 GH temp for extraction, which is OK. I have the 4 hole steam head but haven’t tried it yet. I like the quester data too. Anyone have a clear idea how moving from GH 94 to GH 95.5 say, affects the taste of the espresso? Merry Christmas from snowy Ontario to all baristas!

Comment

Quick postscript: My steamed milk quality has seemed off for a week or two and I decided to descale the Technika. Pretty elaborate procedure since you have to unscrew two panels on the top and disconnect the “measuring rod” that sits on top of the boiler. But, having done all that, found that my steam boiler pressure at 124 degrees increased to 1.4 bars. Pretty surprising, but I like it. Needless to say the steamed milk is also working out much better.

Comment

So, having been enthusiastic about the 4 hole tip steamer in post #17 above, I have had a change of heart and gone back to the 2 hole steam tip. What I found, with the Technika Profi V PID set to 125 was the steam pressure dropped to .5 bar and that this was simply not enough pressure to properly foam the milk. The resting steam Bar pressure doesn't relate to steam performance. By raising the PID to 126 and switching back to the 2 hole tip, my steam pressure is now circa .7 Bar. I wish it was a little higher but it is doing the trick much better. I'm stretching to 38degrees C and heating the milk to 60 degrees.

Comment

Quester, I have been following the same path as you. I also purchased the 4 hole steam tip partly based on your feedback. I did not install it until a few weeks ago, but like you I just went back to the 2 hole version. I found the 4 hole tip does steam much faster, heating the milk to temperature in about half the time. But, it is very hard to control to produce consistent even micro foam. I always found an excess of air bubbles getting into the milk, particularly towards the end of the steaming sequence. Tried turning the PID temperature down, from 124 down a degree or so every day until I was back to the factory settings of 121 (might have been 120). This helped some with the air bubbling, but also lowed boiler steam pressure (to about 1 bar or so). So, finally decided to pack in that path, back to 2 hole, and raised the PID back to 124 again which has nice boiler steam pressure of about 1.4 bars. And now I feel much more in control of the milk stretching process and can (occasionally) produce smooth even micro foam . Biggest mystery to me still (I realize this is unrelated) is how descaling the machine produced about .2 - .3 bars of steam pressure - doesn’t seem credible!

Comment

Working...
                X