No announcement yet.

GS3 or R Nine One

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rocket R91. Hands down. Awesome machine delivering exceptional coffee. I've had the pleasure of quite a few brews from one I see regularly and it's ability to 'copy' a lever machine extraction is just fabulous. Being able to program a low pressure preinfusion and importantly, a low bar extraction towards the end of a shot gives this machine the ability to deliver sweet, flavour optimised coffee, if I didn't have the machine I have atm I'd be all in for an R91, for sure.... and I may even upgrade my mothballed Alex Leva to one down the track.
    Last edited by chokkidog; 20th April 2020, 12:05 PM. Reason: Still can't post emoji's from a Mac.

Comment

"Mine looks pretty amazing too after Rick was given carte blanche to go nuts on custom work for it."

Caffeinator, are there any photos of your custom R91 on the forum? Would love to see it

Comment

Originally posted by chokkidog View Post
        Rocket R91. Hands down..
        100%. I have owned 2 x GS3. The Rocket is so far ahead of the LM, it's not funny.

Goes to show that chucking the conical valve kit from a Strada onto the GS3 does not a contemporary machine make...

Comment

i havent used the rocket, and am sure it is a killer machine. Having owned 2 previous rockets, i know their build quality is brilliant, but for me i like to keep it simple, so happy to be naive and stick with my GS3 AV. Program the volumetric buttons, get the grind right and consistent shots every single time. Mine has also been trouble free from the day i purchased it.

Comment

Profitec Pro800 lever machine. Perfect profiler and half the price

Comment

Just got my GS3 set up last week then I saw this thread...might have to throw it out and get the Rocket now

Comment

Originally posted by Arcade View Post
                Profitec Pro800 lever machine. Perfect profiler and half the price
                Yeah nar. I used to think that too- however....

When you place a Scace device on a trad. leva, what you see is low pressure preinfusion and then an immediate ramp to 12 (or whatever)Bar is employed via the spring mechanism. It's only in the final couple of seconds that pressure declines and then only if you allow the shot to run full length. Sure you can take over with a push or pull on the leva during shot, but there isn't a consistent way to apply that.

Comment

Originally posted by MAST88 View Post
                  Just got my GS3 set up last week then I saw this thread...might have to throw it out and get the Rocket now
                  Happy to help you take out the trash! ?

Comment

I just was considering the R9 and a Strada 1 group extensively, I didn't like the lack of repeatability of the GS3 MP/Slayer so they weren't even on the list. I thought I wanted a saturated group but found after pulling 50+ shots back to back on an E61, I have determined it to be less important than other features.

Ended up buying the Crem One 2BRLFPP from Auspresso in Sydney. Half the price of the R9, ability to import and export profiles so I can have infinite recipes and the low flow pressure profiling is remarkable; it is able to compensate real time during the extraction to reach the desired volume in cup for a certain brew pressure by extending brew time slightly for that step. (60 stage extraction with preinfusion down to 2 bar even on tank supply).
                    Overall it can extent a shot slightly so when I'm dialing in a shot I aim for 28 seconds. If the grind was too fine, it may reduce shot time to 25, if I tamped too hard it may increase to 30 seconds. But my brew ratio is always spot on. In fact most shots are recoverable when in manual mode if you keep an eye on the flow. I've had very few sink shots in 2 weeks and 300 shots.

GSP is also a feature I really like, the gentle ramp helps keep the puck integrity as the pump speed increases. You can also pre-infuse with boiler pressure which is retained functionality from the E61 group.

Calvin was able to then fit some ECM bits to the machine (handle and brew lever), and also made it run almost completely silent. Construction is nice, it's very well thought out easy to work on like other Expobar machines. Plastic base is very adequate, and no chance of corrosion, GA102 pump and non-intrusive flowmeter is a nice touch.

Generally I am incredibly fussy about this sort of equipment; I have been nothing but impressed by it so far.

Picture attached; not my setup, but my machine on the day I picked it up with matching accessories.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by sheer View Post
                      I just was considering the R9 and a Strada 1 group extensively, I didn't like the lack of repeatability of the GS3 MP/Slayer so they weren't even on the list. I thought I wanted a saturated group but found after pulling 50+ shots back to back on an E61, I have determined it to be less important than other features. Ended up buying the Crem One 2BRLFPP from Auspresso in Sydney. Half the price of the R9, ability to import and export profiles so I can have infinite recipes and the low flow pressure profiling is remarkable; it is able to compensate real time during the extraction to reach the desired volume in cup for a certain brew pressure by extending brew time slightly for that step. (60 stage extraction with preinfusion down to 2 bar even on tank supply). Overall it can extent a shot slightly so when I'm dialing in a shot I aim for 28 seconds. If the grind was too fine, it may reduce shot time to 25, if I tamped too hard it may increase to 30 seconds. But my brew ratio is always spot on. In fact most shots are recoverable when in manual mode if you keep an eye on the flow. I've had very few sink shots in 2 weeks and 300 shots. GSP is also a feature I really like, the gentle ramp helps keep the puck integrity as the pump speed increases. You can also pre-infuse with boiler pressure which is retained functionality from the E61 group. Calvin was able to then fit some ECM bits to the machine (handle and brew lever), and also made it run almost completely silent. Construction is nice, it's very well thought out easy to work on like other Expobar machines. Plastic base is very adequate, and no chance of corrosion, GA102 pump and non-intrusive flowmeter is a nice touch. Generally I am incredibly fussy about this sort of equipment; I have been nothing but impressed by it so far. Picture attached; not my setup, but my machine on the day I picked it up with matching accessories.
                      Wonder how he made it silent and how loud it was before customising?

Comment

Originally posted by crazyhakins View Post
                        Wonder how he made it silent and how loud it was before customising?
                        Wouldn't say it was loud, it was still quiet as it's a rotary pump. But it is almost completely silent now.

Not sure on how he did it, but it's now the quietest machine I've ever heard (excluding levers). I'll try to take a video.

Comment

Originally posted by sheer View Post
                          I just was considering the R9 and a Strada 1 group extensively, I didn't like the lack of repeatability of the GS3 MP/Slayer so they weren't even on the list. I thought I wanted a saturated group but found after pulling 50+ shots back to back on an E61, I have determined it to be less important than other features.

Ended up buying the Crem One 2BRLFPP from Auspresso in Sydney. Half the price of the R9, ability to import and export profiles so I can have infinite recipes and the low flow pressure profiling is remarkable; it is able to compensate real time during the extraction to reach the desired volume in cup for a certain brew pressure by extending brew time slightly for that step. (60 stage extraction with preinfusion down to 2 bar even on tank supply).
                          Overall it can extent a shot slightly so when I'm dialing in a shot I aim for 28 seconds. If the grind was too fine, it may reduce shot time to 25, if I tamped too hard it may increase to 30 seconds. But my brew ratio is always spot on. In fact most shots are recoverable when in manual mode if you keep an eye on the flow. I've had very few sink shots in 2 weeks and 300 shots.

GSP is also a feature I really like, the gentle ramp helps keep the puck integrity as the pump speed increases. You can also pre-infuse with boiler pressure which is retained functionality from the E61 group.

Calvin was able to then fit some ECM bits to the machine (handle and brew lever), and also made it run almost completely silent. Construction is nice, it's very well thought out easy to work on like other Expobar machines. Plastic base is very adequate, and no chance of corrosion, GA102 pump and non-intrusive flowmeter is a nice touch.

Generally I am incredibly fussy about this sort of equipment; I have been nothing but impressed by it so far.

Picture attached; not my setup, but my machine on the day I picked it up with matching accessories.
                          Do those portafilters come with the machine? If not where did you source them from?

Comment

Originally posted by alexcs View Post

Do those portafilters come with the machine? If not where did you source them from?
                            The machine comes with a 'adequate' portafilter, but an exceptional tamper.
                            The ones I bought were ECM, through Auspresso, I just ordered another single today.

Comment

• alexcs
                              alexcs commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Thanks they look great really suit the machine
                          Working...
                          X