cleaning a Profitec 700

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cleaning a Profitec 700

my question probably applies to all machines that use a plastic water tank I guess, how often do you empty the tank? Do you leave it full after daily use?. I find mine tends to get a slight green film in it if not cleaned regularly and it is a pain to get into the corners and into the level float thing. Is there a product to put in the tank to clean it?

I'm curious what others do too actually. I've a Pro 500 and same tank, and I know what you mean about that corner bit!

I used to leave water in and just top it up, but thought about it and just didn't want to leave water in there constantly. Now when I'm finished with the machine for the day I just pour the water back into a big 5L jug that I store in the fridge. The thing is the water has warmed up a little being in there... but hoping that isn't a big deal.

Comment

Yes the water heating up was another thing I was thinking about also. I have my machine on for about 6hrs every morning

Comment

It sounds like the green stuff is algae- however this usually needs sunlight to appear. If this wasn't a coffee machine with metal bits, the normal answer would be add chlorine- BUT in this situation do not do that.

Whether it is or isn't the Cl word- take it out and give it a wash with mild dishwashing detergent and a soft chux to get into the corners. How often - probably weekly at a guess - i do my tank about every second time i drain the tray -but i don't normally have algae.

Comment

My take? It's just water and you are going to heat it pretty well before use, if you were drinking from the container it might be different.

First of the month you can clean the tank with diluted vinegar or citric acid (both safe to consume if you miss some)

Comment

The tank just pulls straight out for cleaning.

It doesn’t even need to be empty, there’s a self sealing valve.

Just pull it out and give it a rinse. Even better plumb it in if possible.

Comment

the diluted vinegar sounds like the go. thanks

Comment

As others have said you are heating the massively before use so its ok.
                I just use soapy water once a month or so.
                More in summer months than winter months because of humidity

Comment

Originally posted by Andy View Post
                  My take? It's just water and you are going to heat it pretty well before use, if you were drinking from the container it might be different.

First of the month you can clean the tank with diluted vinegar or citric acid (both safe to consume if you miss some)
                  Originally posted by Cats View Post
                  As others have said you are heating the massively before use so its ok.
                  I just use soapy water once a month or so.
                  More in summer months than winter months because of humidity
                  Ah cool, as in the heating up process (brewing) the water goes through helps clean it out a bit so to speak?

Comment

Yes only certain things can really get through the various valves and filters, and you are getting the water very hot which will kill nearly anything in the brew path.

Also important to note, the very slight film of algae that develops in the reservoir is nothing like the free flowing string algae that turns water green in ponds. This is most likely not even very present in the water (much like how the blanket algae in ponds is only on the surfaces in the pond and not actually in the water (two different organism structures)

Were you to leave single undisturbed full tank of water for several months then yes you would have a significant buildup in the tank (bit even then the boilers would sort it out).
                    However you are replacing new water every few days simply by the act of using the water up and not taking any special measures so there won't be sigificant buildup and it will take a long time to create any sort of beachhead on surfaces.

Finally, dont forget that to sterilize drinking water you can boil it.. which is what happens in your coffee machine. Is it in the system long enough to have this effect in a thermoblock/HX? probably. But a system with dual boilers, definitly

Comment

Yes only certain things can really get through the various valves and filters, and you are getting the water very hot which will kill nearly anything in the brew path.

Also important to note, the very slight film of algae that develops in the reservoir is nothing like the free flowing string algae that turns water green in ponds. This is most likely not even very present in the water (much like how the blanket algae in ponds is only on the surfaces in the pond and not actually in the water (two different organism structures)

Were you to leave single undisturbed full tank of water for several months then yes you would have a significant buildup in the tank (bit even then the boilers would sort it out).
                      However you are replacing new water every few days simply by the act of using the water up and not taking any special measures so there won't be sigificant buildup and it will take a long time to create any sort of beachhead on surfaces.

Finally, dont forget that to sterilize drinking water you can boil it.. which is what happens in your coffee machine. Is it in the system long enough to have this effect in a thermoblock/HX? probably. But a system with dual boilers, definitly
                      Very insightful, thanks Cats!

I now may just leave the small portion of leftover water in the tank and just top up like I used to. And empty it weekly or so, make sense!

Comment

If you want to kill two birds, bleed hot water from your steam boiler regularly. This will increase your water turnover for the reservoir, and lower the mineral concentration in the steam boiler.
                        I wouldnt bother emptying it, just use it up.

Comment

If you want to kill two birds, bleed hot water from your steam boiler regularly. This will increase your water turnover for the reservoir, and lower the mineral concentration in the steam boiler.
                          I wouldnt bother emptying it, just use it up.
                          Yep true, and yeah I frequently bleed the boiler, preheat all cups I use and after I turn the machine off I let out about half a cup to a cup. Cheers

Comment

I had the same problem in a previous machine with residue lining the inside of the plastic tank when I would use tap water. Used a similar solution to the ones mentioned - once a month, used a bit of hand soap and vinegar, and brushed the hard to reach corners with a toothbrush.

Comment

Originally posted by wintern View Post
                              I had the same problem in a previous machine with residue lining the inside of the plastic tank when I would use tap water. Used a similar solution to the ones mentioned - once a month, used a bit of hand soap and vinegar, and brushed the hard to reach corners with a toothbrush.
                              It should be more of a problem with filtered water than tap water due to the lack of chlorine (put there specifically to stop growth of organisms in the water)

Comment

Working...
                              X