Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dual Boiler descaling

Does anyone do this themselves?

And i'm not referring to some crazy scenario where you have lots of scale. I'm well aware of the issues around having chunks of limescale and other things breaking off and getting stuck in places.

I'm more referring to people who have light amounts of scale that may descale once per year or something to that effect. E.g. running vinegar through the machine.
    In breville dual boilers and heat exchangers, it seems very accepted that you can descale these yourself, yet once dual boilers get discussed it seems people want to pay others to descale.

I haven't found any great documentation on how to do this, but i dont really buy the 'it has to be done by a professional send it away to get serviced' because other than instructions, i'm not sure they have anything special at their disposal.

Are there any good guides on how to do a dual boiler descaling?

Also in the Profitec V1 manual they referred to this effectively as 'prophylactic descaling', and in the Profitec V2 manual it is gone.
    I'm using very soft water and also filtering it, but i think eventually i'll still need to descale it as the brass components around the mushroom still seem to be slowly accumulating scale

cheers

let me know how you go if you do decide to DIY. cheers.

Comment

I have descaled my Profitec 700 V1 several times over the years as per its manual. I do use filtered water but still get some build up.
      Check the mushroom once in a while and assess. Good idea to keep a log as well.

On a side note, has anyone ever used a waterproof endoscopic camera to inspect the heating elements inside the boiler ? Those can be had for cheap, maybe good enough to check heating element condition albeit it requires to remove a fitting.

Comment

Nothing to be achieved by throwing acid at metal unless there is clear evidence that it's required. Year 7 Science would have taught you that the results will ultimately be salt + water (and less metal).

Comment

Agree - Always better to stop scale forming in the first place by using the best water filtering setup for your situation...

Mal.

Comment

Originally posted by Dimal View Post
            Agree - Always better to stop scale forming in the first place by using the best water filtering setup for your situation...

Mal.
            Yes I am aware of that.
            But if I'm still getting scale on melbourne water and a Brita C150 finest, I'm not sure that there's much more i can do (aside from going to extreme systems like RO and remineralisation)

I'd rather know how to solve the 'end game' problem, rather than pretend that eventually i'm not going to need to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by mwdnasa1 View Post
              I have descaled my Profitec 700 V1 several times over the years as per its manual. I do use filtered water but still get some build up.
              Check the mushroom once in a while and assess. Good idea to keep a log as well.

On a side note, has anyone ever used a waterproof endoscopic camera to inspect the heating elements inside the boiler ? Those can be had for cheap, maybe good enough to check heating element condition albeit it requires to remove a fitting.
              Mwdnasa1, my mushroom looks essentially percect, but im seeing some corrosion/scale on the top pipe and also the valve under the mushroom, both made of brass/copper etc.

what do you think from the attached pictures?Click image for larger version

Name:	20200409_185719.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	827740Click image for larger version

Name:	20200409_185027.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	126.6 KB
ID:	827741

Comment

Originally posted by Cats View Post
                Yes I am aware of that.
                But if I'm still getting scale on melbourne water and a Brita C150 finest, I'm not sure that there's much more i can do (aside from going to extreme systems like RO and remineralisation)
                Have you actually had your water tested (properly) by Bombora or an equally reputable company?
                Pays dividends to do this and it costs nothing...

Mal.

Comment

Originally posted by Dimal View Post
                  Have you actually had your water tested (properly) by Bombora or an equally reputable company?
                  Pays dividends to do this and it costs nothing...

Mal.
                  Not properly tested no. I was going to do this but never got around to it. On the hardness stips provided with the brita kits my water is right at the bottom, and probably shouldn't even require ion exchange.

Im not sure if there is a lower limit to the C150's ability to lower the hardness to zero or near zero erc.

What are your thoughts on the above pictures?

having not had the machine for longer than about 7months (bought new) im wondering if the scale was present from the factory on the valve as a result of bench testing and water in the mushroom section?

the brass valve and cam shaft both were fully dulled from day 1, not shiny like you sometimes see in photos of brass that hasnt been exposed to air for very long.
                  I havent opened the mushroom on it until now so i dont know how the upper portion of the top valve looked so i dont have any frame of reference.

Comment

Is that a new mushroom? Looks ages away from needing a descale by the pics. Cheers

Comment

That very slight discolouration in the second photo, of the valve, doesn't look like scale to me. Scale build-up resembles something more akin to little blobs of slag that you see around a bad electric welding job. Can't really see anything to be worried about...

Mal.
                      P.S.
                      Those paper test strips aren't worth two-bob to be honest and as they age, they become even more useless.

Comment

Dimal note the little bit of white stuff in the pipe. Is this scale or just more of what you said eariler?

I will defer to your expertise in this, i havent seen enough good examples firsthand to really know if what im seeing is going to progress to the point i need to descale.

by all accounts i should have super soft water and the C150 is really just there as an extra insurance of the softest water. i really don't ever want to descale but what i saw when i opened up the mushroom threw me and got me a bit worried

image widget

Comment

Hi again Cats....

Unfortunately, the image(s) you're referring to above haven't uploaded so can't really comment.
                          If it is just the same as the very thin deposit on the valve, it is most likely the same compound (a salt) and can be disregarded.

Scale is most often a dark coloured accretion and as mentioned above, when it first starts to form, appears similar to welding slag stuck quite strongly to the metal. Perhaps if you can try uploading the image(s) again we'll check it out...

Mal.

Comment

Hppefully this one works
                            Attached Files

Comment

• Dimal
                              Dimal commented
                              Editing a comment
                              No mate, it's all good...

Mal.

Originally posted by Cats View Post
                            I'm not sure if there is a lower limit to the C150's ability to lower the hardness to zero or near zero...
                            You don't want the hardness near zero. Suggest you google and then refer to the La Marzocco water calculator as a start.

​​​​​​​That mushroom is spotless and the group valve near spotless. Don't descale.

Comment

Working...
                            X