porta filter seal replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• porta filter seal replacement

I have noticed that my porta filter on my Profitec 700 is needed to be turned a bit tighter lately so I think it is time to get the seal replaced. Has any one done this on their Profitec and is it hard to do. Is there a better seal to use rather than the genuine one

I don't have a Profitec, but I would hazzard a guess that the E61 group seals are a fairly generic item. You can get different thicknesses, but probably not different grades.
    It's not a hard job to replace the seals, you only need a few basic tools. Have a look on youtube for 'E61 group seal replacement' and you'll find heaps of vids.

Comment

Yep, super easy to do! And it doesn't necessarily need replacing just because you have to lock it in further and further (this happens naturally), unless it's visibly cracked and it's leaking while you pull a shot. Basically just remove the showerscreen with a spoon, bit by bit around the edges until it pops out, and get the rubber seal out (which I think comes out with the shower screen anyway) and replace. Then put the shower screen back on, with the portafilter empty (ie no filter basket in it), slowly crank it left and right (ie lock it in slightly and unlock it) to push it up more and more, then put the basket in and do the same. And I've heard from others here on the forum that the silicon seals are better, but don't know the full details there. Last longer perhaps?

Comment

Originally posted by tonym1 View Post
        Is there a better seal to use rather than the genuine one
        If the current gasket is an original, then yes, a high quality Silicone Rubber Gasket is way better - Provides a better seal with less force required, lasts a lot longer and doesn't get that horrible burnt rubber smell like the originals do....
        You need a "Cafelat 8mm E61 Red group gasket" which can be obtained from several of our Site Sponsors.

Mal.

Comment

thank all for the info, I will get a new gasket on Monday and have a go at replacing it myself. I have noticed that when I use a VST basket instead of the original that came with the machine it feels a lot tighter when the portafilter is turned

Comment

In addition to previous posts, I'll just add that your User Manual has very well illustrated instructions on replacing the group gasket and shower screen. If you don't still have it, look here on page 30:

https://coffeesnobs.com.au/forum/equ...multi-language

Cheers
            Mal

Comment

By “needing to be turned a bit tighter” I’m assuming you mean you need to crank the portafilter in further than you used to in order to get a good seal? Having to turn the portafilter further into the group head is ok. On cheaper machines this becomes an issue as it’s a sign of collar wear, but your e61 group head shouldn’t be wearing. If your group seal is leaking or cracked then they’re signs of needing a replacement. When you first install the new seal you’ll find it will be ‘tight’, as in you will only need a small turn of the portafilter to lock it in, the handle will probably be pointing to 7 o clock when looking down at the group head. I would also order 2, that way you’ll have a spare on hand to throw in as soon as the new one starts leaking.

Comment

The Cafelat gaskets are much more forgiving than the original rubber ones.
                They also don't require as much force to achieve a good seal. Have found that the 8mm items (with groups in good condition) have no trouble sealing at around the usual 6:00 o'clock position but would not force the Group Handle more than it needs to travel.

We used to have between 4-6 double shots per day and even after about 18 months, there was still heaps of flexibility and life left in the gasket, so wouldn't think that changing more often than two yearly is necessary.

Mal.

Comment

btw, you should be anyways well versed in removing the gasket as part of your regular cleaning process of the shower screen and group! Chemical backflush only gets you so far.
                  I enjoy the Silicone upgrade.
                  Btw, upgraded the shower screen to a membrane one (forgot the name) and very much prefer it over the mesh one, get less residue build up!

Comment

Working...
                  X