X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gregoryw9
    replied
    Originally posted by mikef View Post
    Firstly, you simply can't go wrong with an ECM. Exquisite build and look.
    Yes agreed re: ECM, very reliable and you get what you pay for.

Also heard good things about the LM LM but it seems even lovers admit that the price difference isn't so much performance related but it's the look and feel compared to other top tier machines.

All the best, let us know what you decide!

Leave a comment:

• Dimal
    replied
    Originally posted by mikef View Post
    While dual boilers is good for heat control, I'm going to be controversial and say a super-accurate PID on a brew boiler is wasted...
    Agree with you to an extent but a PID Controller on a brew boiler coupled to an E-61 Group is not a total loss. And it isn't just the distant coupling between the temperature sensing and the delivery point at the group, also the huge mass of the group itself comes into play with regard to responsiveness to temperature change. Allowing plenty of time for equilibrium to establish and an accurate offset between the PID Setpoint and the brew water delivery point, it is possible to achieve not perfect, but quite reasonable control.

Always better to control the temperature at the point of delivery and temperature sensing than in some remote system as is used on most dual boiler setups. I used to own a Lelit derivative machine several years ago, that uses the Boiler On Group design, and with a decent PID installed with appropriately sited temperature sensing, achieved remarkably tight temperature control of the brew water hitting the top of the coffee puck. Generally in the region of +/- 0.3C throughout the shot and even better between shots at better than +/- 0.1C. I think the Bezzera system is pretty well spot on overall...

Mal.

Leave a comment:

• mikef
    replied
    I've just upgraded from an ECM Elektronika to a Bezzera Duo. Firstly, you simply can't go wrong with an ECM. Exquisite build and look. I have been using volumetric machines now for about three years and I'll never go back to a lever machine. If you want consistency of shots, it simply can't done on a manual lever unless you want to weigh every shot during extraction. So while the Synchronika is a great dual boiler machine, it's always going be limited by the manual lever. While PID on the boilers is a great function, temperature control and accuracy of the group head is limited by the thermo-syphon heat ratio intrinsic to the E61 design. That is why I went with the Bessera Duo as it has an electrically-heated head with its own dedicated PID to the PIDs for both boilers. Three PIDs and volumetric dosing.

While dual boilers is good for heat control, I'm going to be controversial and say a super-accurate PID on a brew boiler is wasted when matched with an E61 head. Remember the PID is on the boiler, not the head. If you want volumetric dosing and an E61 head, save some money and go with the ECM Electronika HX. On this machine if you want slightly more of less temperature in the E61 head, you tweek the boiler pressure up or down with the pressurestat. It's brilliant.

Leave a comment:

• MxD
    replied
    At that price point I'd be adding the Decent Espresso range to my shortlist.

Leave a comment:

• sam678
    replied
    I suggest listing the features you would like in your new machine in two groups, "must have" and "would be nice" and then look at the machines available.

I would also take any criticism of specific machines with a grain of salt. For anyone unhappy with a particular machine, there are just as many that are perfectly happy.

If you post your list of prefered features, then, you will get specific recommendations. The OP is far too generic with too many machines meeting those specifications.

I would not bother with volumetric machines, it very much limits your choices. Also, it is very difficult to get exactly the same flow rate shot-to-shot even once you have the grinder dialled in.

Leave a comment:

• LeroyC
    replied
    If you want volumetric capability your only option from those listed is the volumetric version of the Synchronika. I think you’d be happy with any of the machines you’ve listed so it comes down to what you’re personally after as Sam mentioned above.

Leave a comment:

• wc047
    replied
    Originally posted by Mb21 View Post

As in be wary of profitec? I thought ECM and Profitec were made by same company / manufacture?
    Sorry I meant the LM in that comment

Leave a comment:

• Mb21
    replied
    Originally posted by wc047 View Post
    Been told to be wary of issues with them compared to ecm
    As in be wary of profitec? I thought ECM and Profitec were made by same company / manufacture?

Leave a comment:

• sam678
    replied
    This is a personal decision.

Where do you want to go with your coffee journey? What do you envisage your coffee future to be? e61 dual boiler, lever machine, saturated group?

There are no bad choices once you move to the high end machines you have listed, only your personal preference for specific features.

So, ask yourself what features are important for you?

Leave a comment:

• wc047
    replied
    Been told to be wary of issues with them compared to ecm

Leave a comment:

• shewey
    replied
    I am about to get myself a La Marzocco Linea Mini, however have never used one so can not comment on its benefits over the others. Profitec 700 might be worth looking into. Both that and the Linea Mini will crank the steam if you are doing milk based.

Leave a comment:

• wc047
    replied
    I have no friends 0 replies😢😢😢😢😢

Leave a comment:

• UPGRADE - ECM synchronika v3, Bezzera duo, La Marzocco Linea Mini Or any others

Upgrading from a bezzera mitica

I am paring the machine with a eureka atom 60 grinder (advice on other grinders is welcome)

Its for home use.

I always thought volumetric would be a good option to have as to pull a few shots once dialled in. I also was keen on getting PID and shot timer.

The ECM has been recommended to me by a shop owner for build quality and reliability. (I had a few issues with my old Bezzera)

Any recommendations/advice would be terrific.
Working...
X