Warm up time for a lever machine using the Bosco group

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warm up time for a lever machine using the Bosco group

I'm looking at buying a lever machine, specifically the Profitec Pro 800 which I believe has the Bosco group. Has anyone had any experience with actually warming up such a machine? What sort of time from a cold start to first pour have you found optimal? I've seen various places on the internet mention anywhere from 5 mins (yeah nah, sounds like crap) to an hour and a half (in which case this machine is not for me) and since there has been such variation I feel like I need to factor it into my purchasing decision.

So... anyone have any experience with this?

Cheers!

G'day, just had a look at the user manual since I was also curious. Yep Bosco which is a huge brass group.
    I don't have experience with the machine but I would say that Profitec is being realistic since they are a very reputable brand.

It says "In general, the machine will be heated up in about 40 minutes, depending on the ambient temperature."

Hope that helps.

Comment

I did some tests in 2016 and at the time wrote "I have run a number of tests to check warm up times as this always seems to be a point of interest for people looking at lever machines.
      Running in an ambient room temperature of 15C and with a boiler temperature at startup of 19 C tests indicate the boiler takes 15 min to reach 100C, 18 min to 118C and 19 min to reach 120C/ 1.0 Bar as displayed on the gauge.
      The group obviously takes longer to come up to temperature as the data states it weighs 7.8Kg but a couple of short flushes at 45 minutes will have it up to temperature. Longer flushes prior to that would get you up to temperature faster if you are desperate for a shot.
      A Thermax Liquid Crystal thermometer strip mounted on the front of the group will give a good indication of temperature.
      "

https://coffeesnobs.com.au/forum/equ...bout-it/page11

Comment

G'day again, thank's for that Sounds good, I've been warming up my Hx machine for 30 minutes before pouring my first shot (probably a little overkill but, meh) so 40-45 minutes sounds quite reasonable really. Especially since there is the potential for speeding the process up. I like the idea of thermo strip, I have seen people do something similar to the Olympia Cremina for the opposite problem of overheating, but it totally makes sense looking from this direction. Another option in terms of machine and group that I have considered is a Bezzera Strega with its cartridge heaters, however I would like to plumb the machine into the water supply and avoid pump noise if possible. My understanding is that the system in the Strega can warm up in about 15 minutes which is quite attractive, but... well..... if I'm planning on spending north of $4k on a machine, I should probably get the one that I want

Comment

Mine is up to temp in 15min (122deg) and if you’re having a milk coffee you can flush and go pretty much from there. 45 is the most you’d need to wait for it to be optimal. I say go for it, 3 years on and mine hasn’t skipped a beat and makes great coffee far too easy now.

Comment

Originally posted by Arcade View Post
            Mine is up to temp in 15min (122deg) and if you’re having a milk coffee you can flush and go pretty much from there. 45 is the most you’d need to wait for it to be optimal. I say go for it, 3 years on and mine hasn’t skipped a beat and makes great coffee far too easy now.
            That's great to hear Thanks for the info

Comment

Working...
            X