ECM synchronika simultaneous boiler heating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ECM synchronika simultaneous boiler heating

I understand that the default mode the Synchronika will only heat one boiler at a time, but there's an option in the PID computer to heat both at once.

Before buying I saw a video that said you can't do both at once unless you install a high amp circuit, but I just looked at the sticker on the machine which says "1100W, 1800W MAX. 1800W is 16.3A@110V, but only 8A/220V, 7.5A/240. Can I put it on simultaneous heating mode with no problems?

According to the machine description, the Synchronika has 1x 1400 W and 1 x 1200 W heating element so that is a combined 2600 W putting it over 10 A.

I'm sure if it was safe to have both boilers operating simultaneously on a 10A circuit, that would have been enabled on the Australian spec machines.

Comment

Correct Flynnaus, which is why it’s not an option on the current Aus model.

charlie

Comment

So the option is actual disabled in software?

Comment

Yes it’s disabled.

charlie

Comment

• SanderP
            SanderP commented
            Editing a comment
            In a practical sense this really isn't an issue.

If you're in the pre-heat for >30 mins camp you won't even notice it.

Cheers

I was thinking of installing a high power circuit for my coffee machine. Can the feature be enabled if I have the appropriate wiring, or is it permanently disabled?

Honestly, I like to start my day with a mocha. The shot of espresso doesn't have to be primo quality so a 30 minute pre-heat isn't strictly necessary. Thereafter I leave it on all day

Comment

• flynnaus
            flynnaus commented
            Editing a comment
            I think if you do decide to go for a 15A circuit, you would also need a new PID with the simultaneous boiler heating option enabled.
            I have a Profitec Pro 600 which is a dual boiler. The boilers come to temp in about 20 mins but I wait at least 40 mins before making a shot to allow the grouphead to heat up fully. You might get away with a 20 Min heat up but why compromise the quality of your shots?

Many folks (myself included) use a smartswitch to turn the machine on at the desired time so it's fully warm when you need it first thing in the morning.

I also think you'll find that the Sync isn't designed to be left on all day so do your research if you need this functionality.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by SanderP View Post
            .....I also think you'll find that the Sync isn't designed to be left on all day so do your research if you need this functionality.

Cheers
            DaveC (the UK Niche bloke) has said that leaving dual boiler machines on all day leads to frequent heating element failures. Can anyone (Charlie?) verify this is the case?

My Profitec 700 is on for ~4 to 5 hrs in the morning. It's then switched off and back on for ~1hr again in the evening. Is this something to worry about?

Comment

Originally posted by splashalot View Post

DaveC (the UK Niche bloke) has said that leaving dual boiler machines on all day leads to frequent heating element failures. Can anyone (Charlie?) verify this is the case?

My Profitec 700 is on for ~4 to 5 hrs in the morning. It's then switched off and back on for ~1hr again in the evening. Is this something to worry about?
              Leaving any coffee machine on for long periods of time is going to wear out components faster, that's just life. Elements aren't expensive in comparison to the cost of the machine but it can be a bit of a pain replacing them.

Comment

Originally posted by noidle22 View Post

Leaving any coffee machine on for long periods of time is going to wear out components faster, that's just life.
                Yes, of course. I agree.

I guess my question should be: Is it within normal usage for these machines to be on for ~5hrs? That is, are they engineered to tolerate this, long-term?

Comment

Why would it be specific to dual boilers? I'd assume that it's due to the steam boiler's element, but isn't a HX basically just a steam boiler with a pipe through it? Between my wife and me, we have 6 coffees a day at random times. Having to do six 30 minute power cycles a day is just too much of a pain.

My little rancilio silvia lasted 10 years of always-on, with no unreasonable wear. Never lost a heating element, despite my utter abuse.

Unfortunately A smart switch is not an option due to the layout of my kitchen

Comment

• Dimal
                    Dimal commented
                    Editing a comment
                    There's no blanket recommendation that applies to all machine designs.
                    It comes down to individual machine engineering/design as to how well it will cope with extended periods of idle operation. Most prosumer machines are not designed with the intention to be left on all day but a few hours here and there shouldn't be overly strenuous to individual components. If the machine(s) have insulated boilers, it becomes less of a problem as sensitive electronic components are not being continually exposed to high environment temperatures.

You’d probably void your warranty if you enable the dual heat mode. Also because you have altered the machine electrically which causes a fire (worst case) you may have voided your house insurance.
                  Customised coffee machines must be compliant

Comment

Working...
                  X