Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brisbane Water Filtration

Hi

About to plumb in an ECM Synchronika, and looking at different filtration options. Brisbane uses chloramine in their supply, and I believe has a higher TDS than other capital cities.

I already have RO available with a remineraliser, however I believe the TDS is too low at ~30. Potentially too aggressive on metallic internals etc. Carbon filtration with softening may be a better solution.

I guess I was wondering what others (commercial and domestic) were using to feed their plumbed devices - particularly in the Brisbane metro region.

Cheers
    David

Bleed valve on your RO to get a higher TDS. Use the LM water calculator as a guide. Conventional filtration won't cut it in Brisbane

Comment

I’m using the brita c150 finest. Brisbane based. Have often wondered this also.
      What should the tds be around ideally?

Comment

• Caffeinator
        Caffeinator commented
        Editing a comment
        In general, it will not be satisfactory in Brisbane. Use theLM water calculator as a guide.

• aants
        aants commented
        Editing a comment
        What filter setup do you recommend for inner Brisbane? In what way do you mean won’t cut it?

• kingo102
        kingo102 commented
        Editing a comment
        That's a great question, I need to learn more as well on what we should be targeting. Some further research over the weekend for sure.

Have also been looking at water systems on gold coast. Have been recommended the puretec system (filter) though still unsure. Anyone know where I can get water tested for the la marzocco water calculator?

Comment

• level3ninja
        level3ninja commented
        Editing a comment
        Bombora will test your water

My ECM Technika is currently being repaired because of corrosion from Brisbane's notoriously hard water. I have only used filtered water from a Billi in-line filter rated at 0.2 microns. Does anyone here have a recommendation for better filtration? Thanks

Comment

Definitely worth your while to read through this thread, to help understand what is required...
        https://coffeesnobs.com.au/forum/equ...ulsory-reading

Mal.

Comment

Thanks Dimal

Comment

Hi all, I am using a Puretec Balanced Plus filter on my VBM machine here in Carindale, Brisbane. I did a lot of research into espresso filtration before deciding on the above filter. I spoke to Puretec service division a number of times for information and they were very helpful and forthcoming with any questions I had.
            I had looked at both the Brita c150 finest and the Everpure 4fcs and the BWT Filters. BWT Filters are pretty popular up here in cafes but I do know they are having trouble with Brisbane’s water and that the Puretec filters have been installed to combat scale issues that BWT could not deal with.
            I like the fact that the Puretec is an Australian company that makes its filters in Adelaide.
            I also spoke to a commercial cafe owner who has Puretec filters in numerous sites. He was very happy with the Puretec filters after using various brands previously. Also very happy with any issues he had and response from Puretec on these issues.
            Last 16 years I worked with Superheat boilers, RO units, Sand filters and Resin/ion exchange units so have a working understanding of water treatment and liked what I saw with the Puretec Balance plus filter series.
            The filter has been installed for only 3 months but I have noticed a definite improvement when checking the mushroom, previously there was a small amount of scale present but this has virtually disappeared. The machine also steams considerably better now and holds a higher pressure during steaming. I believe this is due to the boiler element being cleaner and working more efficiently.
            So I am a definite convert.
            Maurice

Comment

Nice feedback Maurice and another option to consider...

Mal.

Comment

I live on the Gold Coast (after moving from SA), and use filtration units from Filter Systems Australia. They provide excellent advice and also have a very user friendly website.
                Gold Coast water is very different to Brisbane. It is always best to speak with experts in your area as opposed to general advice from interstate. You need to understand what will cause scale and how to prevent it, in your given region. There are many excellent filtration units available, you just have to find the correct one for your needs.
                I use a RO system for the water supply to my coffee machine and general drinking water. For the fridge I also have the stock sediment/carbon filter setup. No issues with scale.
                Friends living in Paddington (near BNE CBD) had no end of problems with scale and currently use a Puretec setup.

Comment

I would be interested to know what Puretec set up they have? Paddington being one of the oldest suburbs in Brisbane the quality of the waters mains would not be too good.
                  They would need a pre filter plus a espresso filter.
                  Maurice

Comment

Working...
                  X