Decent DE1PRO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Decent DE1PRO

​​​​​My new Decent machine arrived today. It is a V1.4 DE1PRO and is replacing a V1 modified Silva. I pulled a couple of shots and made a flat white with the default profile. Very happy so far. Very quick and easy to use. Great tasting coffee.

Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20201118_045230649~2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	428.9 KB ID:	849064

Nice setup, very nice view too

Comment

Hi NCbrewer...nice setup!

Confident that you will have many, many excellent espressos ahead.

Hope that you don't mind me asking...What was the landed cost of your DE1PRO?

Comment

Why did you choose the pro model over the DE1?

Comment

This will be the last espresso machine I buy so I went for the upgrade. Better shower screen and some tougher internals.

Comment

Hope you enjoy it.

It will however be replaced with the 1.4.1 next week and then then 1.5 the week after though. Having purchased a brand new (superseded by the time it arrived- now antique) DE1+ (V1.something), I sold it after 2 or 3 weeks.

Eye of the beholder stuff, but not for me.

Comment

Caffeinator's comment sounds like it might be coming from a former CS sponsor who wrote a damned-by-faint-praise, jilted-suitor review of the DE V1.0. That former sponsor participated in the pre-release crowd-funding and had hoped to become a local dealer. When John Buckman decided not to use dealers and only to do direct sales, the former sponsor sold his DE and wrote his jilted-suitor review. It stands in start contrast to every other review I've seen, particularly the HB review.

NCbrewer doesn't need this context, since as an owner he participates in the Decent Diaspora and knows how the machine is regarded by other owners and how well it is supported by Decent. I provide this context for anyone considering one. It's not for everyone and it ain't cheap, esp in AU. But if you can justify and are considering one, rest assured that there are a lot of very happy owners out there, yours truly included. You rarely see one for sale s/h. My mini review still applies.

Congrats on your DE1Pro, NCbrewer. I know only too well how much you're going to enjoy using it. I'm envious of your scenery.

Comment

• Caffeinator
              Caffeinator commented
              Editing a comment
              All are entitled to their own opinion and to those who have a Decent, I'm thrilled that you are happy. I have had a few machines in my time. They come, they go and so did the Decent.

Whilst gunda may be attempting to place words in my mouth, what I said in my previous comment is that it smacked for me that I received an already superseded machine. Owners at that time were pretty much beta testers.

Ultimately, it wasn't the right machine for me but that's not saying that the Decent is not good at what it does. I did pull the cover off mine and was concerned that that there was plenty that was likely to be difficult, if not impossible to service if the need arose.

Like NCbrewer, it would be the pro for me as well if I was ever to go back and who knows? I may well do that if they ever achieve a something approaching a stable build. Would be great to look at a current one someday. Sounds like they have come a long way.

• gunda
              gunda commented
              Editing a comment
              That was your jilted-suitor review, wasn't it? For the record, V1.0 owners received a bag of bits to upgrade to a V1.1. Free and unsolicited. Easy to do. Early owners were well appreciated and well supported. V1.1 owners are able to install the group head controller at same cost as the V1-1 -> V1.3 price increase. Hardly what I would call superseded. I'm very happy with my V1.1 and don't feel the need to add the GCH. The biggest changes come via s/w and everyone gets those.

John announced recently that no further changes will occur for quite some time. GHC aside, it's been a stable build for a long time. The only negative change has been the price increase. Just goes to show, you snooze ... you loose.

• Caffeinator
              Caffeinator commented
              Editing a comment
              Yep. The person who bought it also sold it so that makes two of us. I'd think the 3rd owner received the bag of bits as Decent received details of both subsequent owners. Hopefully #3's enjoying his machine.

Sorry that I didn't suck up and have an opinion which differs to yours. The machine just wasn't for me. Here's a *vitrual tissue*

I agree with Caffeinator, been following the Decent blurb since it started in 2016, as he says, barely a week goes by without the release of a newer "better" model, then there is the price, seems the basic model landed in Aust will cost you over $5000,so many quality European machines available substantially cheaper than the Decent, and whats-more they can be serviced and repaired by the Australian retailers or their nominated repairer.

Have a look through the offerings here on the Jetblack home machine pages, I'm willing to bet almost all of them will deliver an espresso just as good if not better than the Decent.🙂
            https://www.jetblackespresso.com.au/...ffee-machines/

Comment

For the record, Decent is also a CS sponsor.

Comment

I’m in the market for a new machine. I understand the thought pattern about it being “superseded”.

but here’s the thing - you buy a linea - it’s functionality is not going to improve over the life you own it.

you buy a decent and the software is being upgraded regularly and the hardware can be made current if you want it.

i was looking at the Crem One at a similar price point. It can hold 5 auto save profiles, and you have to fart about with a memory stick to get it all to work. Or the rocket that has some afterthought keypad of the side. Their software is not getting upgraded and their hardware ain’t changing.

so you buy the Decent. Even if it gets no upgrades it’s still so far ahead of any other machine in its class and pretty much the most advanced machine on the market now.

Comment

• kofekitt
                  kofekitt commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Some pretty big calls there. La Marzocco , like lots of manufacturers do upgrade their machines over time, LM even supply tech bulletins to help the end user install them, both for hardware and software. What is your basis for saying the Crem or Rocket will never be updated?

• crazyhakins
                  crazyhakins commented
                  Editing a comment
                  And further, what's to say they need to be upgraded? Rocket and La Marzocco and the likes don't have one single machine they have on offer, they have a full range with different features and to suit different budgets. The functionality of the LMLM is already awesome, what's there to upgrade? Pressure profiling? software monitoring? Why would they do that, the LMLM stands up as a solid machine that does what it's supposed to do WELL. It's not some modular unit to muck around with. Some of the new tech coming out is fanciful at best, misleading at worst. The best thing about e61 machines is how simple they are, and therefore (if made well) robust they are. Less parts = less part that can break. It's a good point made about servicing. Who can service they 2020 vehicle? Nobody, you have to plug it into proprietary hardware to do anything these days. There's beauty in simple engineering done well, and that will never change.

And for the record Decent has local support and repairer (Brisbane).

Comment

Yelta watch this and come back to me if you still think those other machines can match the decent

https://www.instagram.com/p/CHy4aw8pRoC/

Comment

• gunda
                    gunda commented
                    Editing a comment
                    There's no convincing this pair, Budgiesmuggler. This is not the first such skirmish. I piped up because I regarded Caffeinator's first comment as an attempt to rain on NCbrewer's nice new parade for no good reason, and not in keeping with the spirit of CS.

kofekitt they may upgrade their machines but they don’t make the former machines they’ve sold be upgradable.

rocket/Crem - let’s see. Not sure how they’d even upgrade the software.

Show me another home machine that can program the flow, pressure, temperature, volume, steam wetness and temp, and then save profiles and make the profile adjustable mid shot.

Comment

• kofekitt
                    kofekitt commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Again, incorrect. the tech bulletins are for exactly that - upgrading the older models to current specs

So the base model Decent is $6000aud landed minimum. the top Crem is roughly $4620 pick up. I didn't go into my purchase thinking the Crem could make a better coffee, anyone who does is probably misguided.

What I wanted was the ability to pressure profile and save (which it does with the press of a button it does not require a usb stick) and also retain a more traditional appearance at the pricepoint I was after. The quiet operation was a huge bonus. Its a competent, reliable, consistent machine that has improved my coffee making significantly. Where it stands in some kind of coffee machine canon I have no idea, it doesn't really matter.

My next machine may end up being a Decent, but I'm not sure the above comments help. Everyone makes a decision based on a variety of factors, Caffeinator seems to have explained why he didnt keep his, so we all move on. Ive gotten over needing to feel like I bought the "best" x a while ago. I cant wait to try something different in a few years time.

Comment

Originally posted by Yelta View Post
                    I agree with Caffeinator, been following the Decent blurb since it started in 2016, as he says, barely a week goes by without the release of a newer "better" model, then there is the price, seems the basic model landed in Aust will cost you over $5000,so many quality European machines available substantially cheaper than the Decent, and whats-more they can be serviced and repaired by the Australian retailers or their nominated repairer. Have a look through the offerings here on the Jetblack home machine pages, I'm willing to bet almost all of them will deliver an espresso just as good if not better than the Decent.🙂 https://www.jetblackespresso.com.au/...ffee-machines/
                    Put your money where your mouth is then Yelta and seek out a couple of machines so you can try an espresso from a Decent next to an espresso from one of the machines you mentioned. I don’t have that opportunity so I’ve got no reason to believe you’re wrong, but as it’s a baseless statement I’ve got no reason to believe you’re right either. Decent do have Australian based support as well so that’s a moot point. For me the biggest disappointment re the Decent machines is the price. I remember reading those first few posts on HB from John quite a few years ago now and my interest was piqued by his initial goal to build a machine that was more consistent and easier to use than most capable e61 machines and would be available for US$1000. There would then be at least a couple of higher level models - one that had more ability for experimentation by the user and one that could be plumbed and steam milk simultaneously. So I started thinking that this could end up being the machine I ultimately aimed for. One that I could experiment with if I wanted to, but was also super easy and convenient to use when I was making my small flat white with half open eyes each morning and that was maybe around the AUS$3000-4000 mark. Unfortunately none of those things have really eventuated. I think the current DE is probably an amazing machine, but it’s really more for the espresso purists and those that want to experiment. It would also cost me about NZ$7000 to get here and that completely rules it out for me. Luckily I don’t feel so put out as I’m not a huge fan of its aesthetics and I think it sounds awful so I’m not losing any sleep over it. I don’t however doubt the fact that it can do a lot of things that no other machine can do so for many people it really will be the ultimate.

Comment

338 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Leroy, to be fair it isn't appropriate on a forum that someone own a machine/device/ blend etc to have an opinion on it. By your criteria your own opinion isn't valid as you won't put your money where your mouth is. Just saying that all opinions in this thread are valid for the individual giving them and it is unlikely with different price points, technology tolerance, etc that there will be universal praise for one machine.

If we all had to own the item there would be a lot of 'I love/hate my aeropress threads'. Fortunately Decent owners are blessed with two owners forums, the Diaspora forum for any ordinary hack owner and an 'elite' forum (John's words, not mine, I am uncomfortable with the term) for more elite owners.

Ps I also saw that $1k article, must seem like wishful thinking now. That said seeing what a BDB can do at half that would be interesting to see what they if they applied themselves to this space
                  Working...
                  X