Help diagnose shots - Linea Mini

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by EspressoAdventurer View Post
    Scotty you will do yourself a big favour, longterm. Not just for the machine but also improvement in shot quality!

1/ Send a sample of your water to Bombora to analyse /report. Its free.
    2/ Chase up the LM water specs.
    It was in a recent thread of the GS3 guys on here.
    Invest in quality filtration to the required spec.

As I said in a prev post I personally wouldn't run a LM outside of they're stated water specs.
    The machine isn’t plumbed in, so am using bottled water from Costco to fill up the tank! Will investigate a little more.

Just fired the machine up and wow that shower screen is looking damn beautiful now... the flow looks a LOT better, will test shortly!

Comment

Ok, so flow rate is 100% better after the change of gicleur - now flowing like LM recommends. 500ml/30sec.

the bad part is that now I need to completely relearn the machine after making back to back, by far the worst two shots I’ve ever made in my life - coffee was spurting all over the place...

Comment

Originally posted by EspressoAdventurer View Post
        Well Scotty now that Ive seen each of the vids ......let me first off retract most everything I posted up in #6 above.
        So have you run the LM no handle and measured / timed the flow rate at the 3bar pressure your using for P.I. ?
        What is flow rate ? Weight / Time ?

And the water is inline with LM's specs ?
        IYNA - LM's in general can be fickle, if not well maintained & particularly if not run on water that meets their spec's. Partially blocked Gicleurs and boiler issues are not totally uncommon on the multi group commercial machines at sites here in S.E. Qld.
        Thank you for pointing me down this path. Everything is incredible after changing the gicleur and increasing my tamp depth slightly...

Getting some absolutely stellar shots from the machine now.

This was perhaps a tiny bit too fine, but man it looked and tasted good.

Comment

Well thank you for the t. y. Scotty however thank Rick and yourself both for getting it sorted out. Thumbs up to you mate.

You obv know more about your LM's background / prev use.
          So the question is - is the current water your using the only water its been fed?

Moving on to your shot prep. I continually find once i hit a good setting for a bean that it is small baby steps of any of the variables to draw an even better shot flavour from it.

I am still finding that flow rate (volume out/time) that is the major determinate of a resulting great shot.
          Good luck with it you've got a cracking good setup there. Keep the qualities of beans commensurate.
          ​​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by scotty595 View Post
            The machine isn’t plumbed in, so am using bottled water from Costco to fill up the tank! Will investigate a little more.
            Assuming you know this already, but just in case; most bottled is not suitable for use in espresso machines due to not meeting hardness and other chemical requirements. Especially LM level requirements.

Comment

Originally posted by level3ninja View Post

Assuming you know this already, but just in case; most bottled is not suitable for use in espresso machines due to not meeting hardness and other chemical requirements. Especially LM level requirements.
              Hmmmm, what’s the recommended approach for my LM water wise then? Relatively limited in terms of being able to plumb anything in...

Comment

I'd check with your supplier what they recommend. I know for domestic machines Pureau is one of the only ones that are ok. I don't know if it's specs meet LM requirements, you might be able to look them up. Otherwise pure distilled water that is then remineralised to a certain spec would work. Not overly complicated to make up in batches with concentrates.

Comment

Originally posted by level3ninja View Post
                  I'd check with your supplier what they recommend. I know for domestic machines Pureau is one of the only ones that are ok. I don't know if it's specs meet LM requirements, you might be able to look them up. Otherwise pure distilled water that is then remineralised to a certain spec would work. Not overly complicated to make up in batches with concentrates.
                  From LM: "for a near-perfect balance of minerals for brewing, Acqua Panna is a delicious water that is bottled not far from the La Marzocco manufacturing plant in Scarperia, Italy."

Ordered some off Amazon, so will try using it for a while

Comment

Working...
                  X