X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• scotty595
    replied
    Originally posted by level3ninja View Post
    I'd check with your supplier what they recommend. I know for domestic machines Pureau is one of the only ones that are ok. I don't know if it's specs meet LM requirements, you might be able to look them up. Otherwise pure distilled water that is then remineralised to a certain spec would work. Not overly complicated to make up in batches with concentrates.
    From LM: "for a near-perfect balance of minerals for brewing, Acqua Panna is a delicious water that is bottled not far from the La Marzocco manufacturing plant in Scarperia, Italy."

Ordered some off Amazon, so will try using it for a while

Leave a comment:

• level3ninja
    replied
    I'd check with your supplier what they recommend. I know for domestic machines Pureau is one of the only ones that are ok. I don't know if it's specs meet LM requirements, you might be able to look them up. Otherwise pure distilled water that is then remineralised to a certain spec would work. Not overly complicated to make up in batches with concentrates.

Leave a comment:

• scotty595
    replied
    Originally posted by level3ninja View Post

Assuming you know this already, but just in case; most bottled is not suitable for use in espresso machines due to not meeting hardness and other chemical requirements. Especially LM level requirements.
    Hmmmm, what’s the recommended approach for my LM water wise then? Relatively limited in terms of being able to plumb anything in...

Leave a comment:

• level3ninja
    replied
    Originally posted by scotty595 View Post
    The machine isn’t plumbed in, so am using bottled water from Costco to fill up the tank! Will investigate a little more.
    Assuming you know this already, but just in case; most bottled is not suitable for use in espresso machines due to not meeting hardness and other chemical requirements. Especially LM level requirements.

Leave a comment:

• EspressoAdventurer
    replied
    Well thank you for the t. y. Scotty however thank Rick and yourself both for getting it sorted out. Thumbs up to you mate.

You obv know more about your LM's background / prev use.
    So the question is - is the current water your using the only water its been fed?

Moving on to your shot prep. I continually find once i hit a good setting for a bean that it is small baby steps of any of the variables to draw an even better shot flavour from it.

I am still finding that flow rate (volume out/time) that is the major determinate of a resulting great shot.
    Good luck with it you've got a cracking good setup there. Keep the qualities of beans commensurate.
    ​​​​​​​

Leave a comment:

• scotty595
    replied
    Originally posted by EspressoAdventurer View Post
    Well Scotty now that Ive seen each of the vids ......let me first off retract most everything I posted up in #6 above.
    So have you run the LM no handle and measured / timed the flow rate at the 3bar pressure your using for P.I. ?
    What is flow rate ? Weight / Time ?

And the water is inline with LM's specs ?
    IYNA - LM's in general can be fickle, if not well maintained & particularly if not run on water that meets their spec's. Partially blocked Gicleurs and boiler issues are not totally uncommon on the multi group commercial machines at sites here in S.E. Qld.
    Thank you for pointing me down this path. Everything is incredible after changing the gicleur and increasing my tamp depth slightly...

Getting some absolutely stellar shots from the machine now.

This was perhaps a tiny bit too fine, but man it looked and tasted good.

Leave a comment:

• scotty595
    replied
    Ok, so flow rate is 100% better after the change of gicleur - now flowing like LM recommends. 500ml/30sec.

the bad part is that now I need to completely relearn the machine after making back to back, by far the worst two shots I’ve ever made in my life - coffee was spurting all over the place...

Leave a comment:

• scotty595
    replied
    Scotty you will do yourself a big favour, longterm. Not just for the machine but also improvement in shot quality!

1/ Send a sample of your water to Bombora to analyse /report. Its free.
    2/ Chase up the LM water specs.
    It was in a recent thread of the GS3 guys on here.
    Invest in quality filtration to the required spec.

As I said in a prev post I personally wouldn't run a LM outside of they're stated water specs.
    The machine isn’t plumbed in, so am using bottled water from Costco to fill up the tank! Will investigate a little more.

Just fired the machine up and wow that shower screen is looking damn beautiful now... the flow looks a LOT better, will test shortly!

Leave a comment:

• EspressoAdventurer
    replied
    Scotty you will do yourself a big favour, longterm. Not just for the machine but also improvement in shot quality!

1/ Send a sample of your water to Bombora to analyse /report. Its free.
    2/ Chase up the LM water specs.
    It was in a recent thread of the GS3 guys on here.
    Invest in quality filtration to the required spec.

As I said in a prev post I personally wouldn't run a LM outside of they're stated water specs.

Leave a comment:

• scotty595
    replied

I'd take note of the taste. then lock them away till day 7. try again.
    Theyre likely to keep improving thru day10 when you might be able to pull 40g in 40sec.

Sounds like your hot on the track of it now.
    As for your light beans ,,,ive had light roasts that dont settle till around the 20-24 days.
    But youve got to try, taste, rest, try again, all at your own pace with some roasts.

I wasnt nor would I in anyway question Rick Bonds mods/work in anyway. Nor was I in my prev post btw.
    There's always details that can't be perceived in words on these posts.
    Definitely wasn’t questioning Rick’s mod (he didn’t actually do the install for me as I’m Sydney based), but I had a chat to him on the phone and he said it sounds like my gicleur may be blocked up, as the flow rate shouldn’t be affected by his mod. Just grabbed a new gicleur and am in the process of installing it now!

Definitely needed some TLC:
    Click image for larger version  Name:	BE8178FC-A74E-4886-89BA-348AF8BC43C6.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	292.1 KB ID:	867326

cleaned up nicely:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	DB201CBE-6AC8-4ED3-BB87-95A9E09A7978.jpeg
Views:	217
Size:	271.8 KB
ID:	867327

Leave a comment:

• EspressoAdventurer
    replied
    Originally posted by scotty595 View Post
    Thanks for all the help so far, I believe I've made some progress focussing more on puck prep and changing the beans!
    I went out and bought some medium roast fresh beans (3 days) and pulled decent looking shots with/without preinfusion.

Checked the flow rate and it was around 50ml for 10 seconds at ~9bar which seems quite low? But not sure if Rick's mod would have affected this though...
    I'd take note of the taste. then lock them away till day 7. try again.
    Theyre likely to keep improving thru day10 when you might be able to pull 40g in 40sec.

Sounds like your hot on the track of it now.
    As for your light beans ,,,ive had light roasts that dont settle till around the 20-24 days.
    But youve got to try, taste, rest, try again, all at your own pace with some roasts.

I wasnt nor would I in anyway question Rick Bonds mods/work in anyway. Nor was I in my prev post btw.
    There's always details that can't be perceived in words on these posts.

Leave a comment:

• scotty595
    commented on 's reply
    Answered a few down below, definitely making some progress!

Strange thing is the beans were quite new for the first 2 shots... the light roast was only 8 days past roast at the time of the video.

---

Re the LMLM - it's not the first he did up as R&D, rather one I've recently had his kit installed on.

• scotty595
    replied
    Thanks for all the help so far, I believe I've made some progress focussing more on puck prep and changing the beans!

Firstly, the light beans were quite new (9 days), the dark were quite old.

I went out and bought some medium roast fresh beans (3 days) and pulled decent looking shots with/without preinfusion.

Checked the flow rate and it was around 50ml for 10 seconds at ~9bar which seems quite low? But not sure if Rick's mod would have affected this though...

Here's a vid for reference (a few channeling/puck prep issues still)

No-Preinfusion (perhaps grind a little coarse here):

Preinfusion:

Leave a comment:

• EspressoAdventurer
    replied
    Well Scotty now that Ive seen each of the vids ......let me first off retract most everything I posted up in #6 above.
    No I wont edit it or anything out of that post.
    So in post #6 other than the reference to multiple spout pours at the beginning of a shot that increases its
    flow at a reasonable point earlier on, and into the pour which then becomes a single central spout pouring is fine ........
    As for the rest disregard.

So have you run the LM no handle and measured / timed the flow rate at the 3bar pressure your using for P.I. ?
    What is flow rate ? Weight / Time ?

Secondly and more importantly what age is the roast?
    What year were the beans harvested and processed ?
    Light roast age is?
    Dark Roast ditto?

Shot 1 first blush of liquor shows around the 12 sec mark then the shot gushes badly after 1/2 way.
    Crema is low & what I'd call beige! ...at best. Beans past their best. Seek a fresh roasted bean.
    Overly tight grind to compensate for beans not holding up against the flow rate / pressure of the machine.

Shot 3, Now Ive seen the full screen shot / video you can see where the basket is not flowing fully and evenly.
    I don't know you can call it channelling, as in the normal circumstance there would be spurting from the basket.
    But it is definately showing uneven flow.
    If you look further at shots No. 3&4 there is around 20sec of time before you see first flow of liquor.
    That is a very long ramp up.
    At the end of the shot the Crema is less and lacking for what should be expected from a 22g dose.
    Also there are no hints of Hazelnut speckling which should be evident a good shot that achieves a good extraction ratio %.
    Beans past their best and the grind is set too fine as a consequence to compensate.

Your LMLM is this the very same machine that Rick did first up as an R&D development?
    Commissioned IIRC by sadly lost sponsor from this site - TC ?
    I recall reading the post on here that Rick put up at the time. Cracking mods.
    Are you confident its still running just as Rick had intended ?

And the water is inline with LM's specs ?
    IYNA - LM's in general can be fickle, if not well maintained & particularly if not run on water that meets their spec's. Partially blocked Gicleurs and boiler issues are not totally uncommon on the multi group commercial machines at sites here in S.E. Qld.

In short As Aants suggests above ...if you haven't perfected a std 9bar shot yet, go back to it and restart there.
    And known fresh dated well roasted beans !
    Record all your grind settings for reference. And obv shot details.

Your nose should lead you from there.

i.e. a 20g basket / 9 bar - (time from when you activate the brew group)-
    7-9 sec till first drips then a drippy shot that wants to pour, then onto a single spout pour about 1/3 of the way.
    Around 40g out in 38 to 42sec total shot time (from brew activation )
    Last edited by EspressoAdventurer; 27 May 2021, 01:46 PM.

Leave a comment:

• aants
    replied
    Is it a new grinder?
    How much coffee have you put through it?
    Have you ever been able to produce good shots with it?
    Which burrs does the lagom have? The high uniformity?
    Have you tried bypassing the pre infusion and pulling a
    normal shot straight to full pressure?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X