No announcement yet.

La Marzocco Leva X 1 group

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Congratulations, Faatshank! You are now in a VERY exclusive club!

Comment

Nice! Can I ask you the depth dimension from the front of the drip tray to the back of the machine?

Comment

Originally posted by Faatshank View Post
        Actually one question I have. I have reached out to the retailer I purchased the machine from, but will also try my luck here. I want to get into the technicians menu to change some settings, it is asking me for a pin. The user manual suggests 0000 should work, but it doesn't. I just get passcode not correct. It was an ex demo machine. Any suggestions?
        Try the last 4 and first 4 of its serial number. If neither of those work try all the so far untried single number combos. 2222, 3333, 4444 etc..

Java "Shot in the dark" phile
        Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Javaphile View Post
          Try the last 4 and first 4 of its serial number. If neither of those work try all the so far untried single number combos. 2222, 3333, 4444 etc.. Java "Shot in the dark" phile
          Have tried all these combos. Still no luck. Hopefully a response from the retailer tomorrow and/or LM direct. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Comment

• PhatBoy
            PhatBoy commented
            Editing a comment
            I think its Piero Bambi's birthday for all commercial LM, one of my staff knows it.
            OR try 1927
            La Marzocco, founded in "1927" Florence, by Giuseppe and Bruno Bambi, is an Italian company specializing in high-end espresso coffee machines

Originally posted by herzog View Post
          Nice! Can I ask you the depth dimension from the front of the drip tray to the back of the machine?
          Sure. 64.5cms.

Comment

Originally posted by Faatshank View Post
            Sure. 64.5cms.
            Thanks. That doesn’t include the portafilter overhang right?

Comment

Originally posted by herzog View Post
              Thanks. That doesn’t include the portafilter overhang right?
              Correct- allow another 10cm for PF overhang.

Comment

All sorted now.

Thanks to @EspressoAdventurer for the suggestion to contact LM Home AU. The technicians were very helpful.

Comment

Apologies for the lateness of this review, have been busy!

Apologies in advance also for those expecting a deep technical review - this is not my strong point. I tend to buy and play, rather than read and learn. Each to their own.

I will also try and get some photos and videos up this weekend.

Lets start with what I don't like:

These comments are based on me running this machine off the internal water tank.

1. There seems to be a fault in the drip tray design.

When I get up in the morning and go make a coffee there is a small puddle on the front left hand side of the machine. It seems that there is a misalignment between the actual drip tray and where the water drains from the machine.

I have achieved a work around by rotating the tray within the drip tray. This is able to channel the water into where the steam wand usually points. But it works and it now drains property.

This may not make sense to anyone - but more photos over the weekend will explain what I mean.

For a circa $15k machine, I shouldn't have to have a work around. It should just work.

2. The leva mechanism can be sticky

Again, in the morning, when I make the first shot of the day - when I pull the leva mechanism it is sticks for a moment until enough pressure is exerted.

Not a massive deal, but annoying. I want a smooth pull down experience.

After the first shot, it is fine.

What I like?

That's where the negatives end.

The machine is epic for the following reasons:

1. The leva mechanism genuinely reduces normal lever effort by at least 50%.

Might not be a big deal for some - but it is nice to pull a lever shot without giving the the biceps a workout. It just works and works well.

The 50% reduction in effort is not understated, if anything it feels more like a 70% reduction in effort. Very cool.

2. When you pull the Leva it is a work of art.

Pull the leva down and the machine does the rest (like a good lever machine should).

So essentially you work out whether you want a single or double expresso, engage the clutch and grip the leva to the clutch (if that makes sense).

So for a single shot - you grip the clutch and the leva towards the bottom of the COG (not sure what the technical word is, but it is literally the main COG with numbers on it). Pull down, engage pre-infusion and simply let go of the clutch and the machine does the rest.

So for a double shot - you grip the clutch and the leva towards the top of the COG and the rest is the same.

3. The coffee is super smooth.

No surprises here. The machine's pressure profile is dictated by the spring itself (as articulated well in the article referred to below).

When you pull a shot, the machine starts at around 9 - 10 bar and then reduces as the shot is poured.

You can apparently make some changes to pressure profiling, but I have not gone there yet. Don't really see the point given the quality shots.

4. Steaming again works and works well.

Not much more to add. The mechanism on the right hand side to engage and regular steam pressure is a nice touch.

5. The technology

Looking at the display and the live pressure profiling graph is cool. Doesn't change the taste but cool to look at and lets you see in advance whether you shot will be good.

Conclusion and considerations:

First and foremost - to fill in some of the technical gaps - I found the review from sevenmiles very helpful.

A couple of final thoughts:

1. As noted above, eventually I will get to making modifications to the pre-infusion and pressure profiling.

2. Probably the biggest challenge for me is getting my head away from the "30 mils in roughly 25 seconds + preinfusion time". As the article pointed out, you sort of need to double the time to compensate for the "tapering nature" of the pressure profiling.

I never really considered this in my previous lever machine.

At the moment I am somewhere between 30 seconds and 45. But the coffee is ever so good.

3. Does it make an exceptional coffee - yes.

4. Will it make a better coffee than a $3k or $4k lever press or high end E61 - probably not.

5. Will it make any coffee connoisseur look twice when they see it in your home -absolutely.

6. Does it have serious presence in a home - yes it does.

Not my best review guys - but I gave it my best shot (pardon the pun).

Again will try and get some photos and video's uploaded over the weekend.

Happy to take further questions and will answer as best I can.

Take care all.
                  Faatshank
                  Last edited by Javaphile; 2 days ago. Reason: Commercial link removed

Comment

• yochiya
                    yochiya commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks! I could just stare at the Leva for days. Seriously a gorgeous piece of engineering.

• tompoland
                    tompoland commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I'm loving how candid and well balanced you are with this review. It's so easy to report nothing but glowing results so early on in the honeymoon period. Refreshing. I also love how you place a value on the "presence" of the machine and making a connoisseur "look twice". Lover of beauty and egotist that I am, those are things that are worth paying for.

Here are some photos showing the drip tray issue.
                  Attached Files

Comment

https://vimeo.com/650713029

Hopefully this works. Here is a video showing a double shot being poured. You will see what I mean about the lever sticking on first use each day OR after not being used for a few hours.

The machine appears noisier than normal - I think it is the way the cups are sitting on the machine and also the drip tray being the wrong way around (as explained above).

Faatshank

Comment

Wonder if it simply needs some lubrication?

On a different note, how old were the beans post-roast? Just asking because of they are pouring like they are only a few day old.

Comment

wow, that sticking lever i would not be happy with. As you say, for the money asked for this machine, im not sure id accept the drip tray the way it is nor the sticking lever. Would be going back to the store to have it fixed

Comment

Originally posted by tompoland View Post
                          Wonder if it simply needs some lubrication? On a different note, how old were the beans post-roast? Just asking because of they are pouring like they are only a few day old.
                          The beans are old, at least 8 weeks.

Comment

• tompoland
                            tompoland commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Tx. That's a lot of crema then.

For more information you may want to watch Greg Scace with his here. https://www.home-barista.com/knockbo...-x-t74494.html

Comment

Working...
                          X