Atomic coffee machine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Atomic coffee machine

A friend has had an atomic in his shed for many years. Condition good, but would need a refurb before use I expect.
    Can the CSperts please give me some idea of what these things are worth? I may make him an offer for it.
    Do they make good coffee? It would surely be a better backup than the little delongi mocca pot wouldnt it?
    Gary

Re: Atomic coffee machine

Ive actually been watching Atomics on that auction site the last few days and they can sell for quite a lot.

That doesnt actually answer your question though about what they are worth.

I have a question though, does the caffeine balance out the aluminium in regards to Alzheimers?

Comment

On Evilbay genuine ones go for $800+.... they have become VERY collectable!

Not sure they are worth that much..... havent a clue re quality of coffee they produce

Comment

Dont the newer versions sell for around $400? Im not sure that they are made anymore however.

You can expect it to be around the same sort of quality as a normal moka pot, albeit slightly better.

Comment

[highlight]
          I have a question though, does the caffeine balance out the aluminium in regards to Alzheimers?[/
          highlight]

Dont knock the aluminium coffee pots, theyre, ah, um ??? Sorry, I"ve forgotten what I was going to say!

Bart. ( I think ).

Comment

My inlaws have one of these and I have tasted the coffee (was over brewed so it was a shocker).... it works very similar to a perculator (Stovetop) and I believe for best results you need a roasted bean that was pulled from the roast just before 2nd crack, at the very least right at the beginning of 2nd crack.. this will give the allowance of a higher brewing temp... which these units do...

I saw these sell for over $400 each... 2nd hand...

Marc

Comment

Lookee here Gazman, and all shall be revealed.
              I must have an $800 one ..

http://www.coffeecrew.com/content/view/254/99/

Tepin

Comment

I picked up my Atomic at a garage sale 16 years ago for $10. It was the perfect transition from the plunger to my first cimbali.
                The morning ritual was given new meaning and my quest for information began.....
                Using the little baby can be a bit hit and miss. The high temp and the long contact the grounds have with the very hot "group head" really limit your potential flavours from the grounds. Nonetheless, it looks great and seldom needs more than a rinse in warm water.
                Because you can make a decent amount of steamed milk it was very attractive to me intiially. Shots made were never going to cut the mustard, as Clint said:"A mans got to know his limitations".
                Grab the Atomic from your neighbour and give it a light polish, rinse out with citric acid after heating and add it to your collection(yes I know you dont have a collection of ATOMICs but once you get one you will be hooked!).

Comment

Originally posted by JavaB link=1164243253/0#2 date=1164243877
                  On Evilbay genuine ones go for $800+.... they have become VERY collectable!

Not sure they are worth that much..... havent a clue re quality of coffee they produce
                  I cant believe my parents threw one away a couple of years ago. My grandparents brought it back from Italy in the early 1970s and it only got used one that I can recall. Mind you, the two Breville filter and espresso machines that my parents bought in the 1980s didnt get much more use than that - International Roast was the order of the day in my family, maybe Nescafe Gold if things were going well

Comment

I started my coffee adventure with the Atomic back in the early 80s. Apart from the great looks and awesome ability to steam milk, its coffee was no different to a normal stove-top. I used it for two years, then replaced it with a Baby Gaggia, which once I got used to its much weaker steam power relative to the Atomic, left the latter for dead re coffee.
                    Still like the look of it, though.

Comment

The Atomics certainly are beautiful design objects. And they make coffee too! Bonus. Their steaming power is enviable, as is the convenience of a combined stovetop coffee maker + milk steamer. They do run a bit hot, but you can shorten the amount of stove-top time by starting with just boiled water. If you enjoy moka pot coffee (i.e. not looking for espresso shots) working with the Atomic will add a new aesthetic dimension. If you want thicker stovetop coffee with more body and generally more mouthfeel, you might be better off with a moka pot that has a bigger filter basket relative to its water capacity.

Comment

Ever since I first saw them I thought the steam function was a brilliant idea.

Comment

Does anyone know what the exact make up of the metal is? is it totally aluminium?

Comment

I thought it was cast Iron... with the baskets Aluminium....

Comment

It doesnt look like cast iron from any picture Ive seen.
                              Looks to be aluminium to me.

Comment

Working...
                              X