This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Living with Presso: ongoing review

I thought Id start a thread I could post my experiences as a new Pressite in Perth.

Day 1: (home) single test brew Chicco Doro Espresso 1c/g vac-pack double-espresso, made into latte.
    Day 2: (work) Chicco Doro again, perhaps a dozen free double-espressos to company colleagues. Very strong espressos, most reviews were "a kick in the pants".
    Day 3: (home) Fiori Mocha 1kg bought. Ground with new EM0480 at 12. Too fine, required double-pull on Presso. Next ground at 16, seems about right, lots of resistance/pressure, holding the arms until the steam/crema top ends. 2nd pull squeezed nothing extra, so I think the grind is right, I will try one step coarser at 17. I had an espresso and its the first Ive had that I could drink right away that wasnt burning my tongue so I could actually taste it. It is so concentrated which is lovely after coming from large volume stovetop.
    Breakthrough for gf--I suggested instead of diluting it with hot water, that we leave the PF from the initial shot in, pour some more double-shot level hot water into the Presso, and pull a second weak double in with the first. She liked this even better than the water dilution.
    Day 3: (work) Chicco Doro still 500g+ left. I tried the double shot with warmed milk for flat white. Tasted. Added the second shot of water through the same used grind like the gf did, and I too loved the milder result! I added 1/3rd teaspoon of sugar. Suddenly my cheap 1c/g kick-in-pants espresso tasted as lovely as the good stuff! My low standards obviously have a long way of refinement to go.

Re: Living with Presso: ongoing review

Day 4: (home) I like the simplicity. Still many methods of adjustment for each coffee to experiment with.
    Day 5: (home) Running out of grind, I hit the original stuff that was too fine. A heap more pressure required, and a bit more residue from the finer grind. I counted 10 seconds with the arms raised and the water infusing the coffee. The released brew took another 10 seconds for the majority, with the last of the crema taking a while to drip off.
    I cant wait to get a glass cup set so I can see the coffee better, and try the different espresso styles. The ristretto sounds good for keeping the drink warm for longer rather than just a quick shot.

Comment

Interesting work in progress Stoveboy. Keep up the diary, enjoying it!

Comment

Day 6: (home) I had a morning double espresso again, not my routine but this time I hydrated first after sleep at least. Same as the last time, not burnt or bitter, it is the Fiori Mocha but I would need some more experienced cuppers to be able to help articulate what I am tasting. I thought instead of going and paying for a crap coffee somewhere, Id try to make a bad one, to better appreciate the good.
        After the double espresso, I ran two presses of double-shot water through the same grind, and added milk. I got a really weak coffee that reminded me of dripolators, and I really hate those things. To remedy this, with my pancakes I made a good proper fresh double shot with the extra doubl-shot on the same grind which has worked well, and continues to please me, half a sugar and 1/2 cup warm milk. Yum.
        Day 7: (training) OK not starting out as a a Presso report, but irionically after my hated weak dripolator bad-test yesterday, the training company have two drip machines. I can see the convenience for them, but it really is tasteless weak something that is easy for any pallette. I did keep drinking it over the instant blend43 (which I admire for at least it has a distinguishable taste) because it was so weak I knew I wouldnt be getting any great quantity of caffeine from it. It was good to dip biscuits in, and not a loss when I lost a whole biscuit in the bottom!
        The worst thing about today, is I was too tired when I got home to pull a Presso, and left it too late before I was ready/able to do it, so opted for a green tea instead. I look forward to Presso tomorrow!
        Onto Presso... my on-the-spot 3min training topic I chose the Presso, and I am considering making my competency based training assessment 20min final session on the Presso as a Skills-based variety (as opposed to knowledge based) so I could take my Presso in to the course, and have multi-sensory participation with the audience by having them actually trained in pulling a Presso espresso! I am thinking of digital video recording it for the CSers amusement and post it on youtube or the like. The trainer warned dont choose a topic because you know it, but because it can be delivered... so far what Ive thought about, I think I can pull it off, the main benefit being I can bring a backpack with the whole kit, and get total audience involvement, which means fully engaged and using the item Im training on.

Comment

One of our customers in China has the "you Tube" thing down pat: A few examples that are perfectly timed:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fntodFgah9Q

Have a look!

Comment

Great video indeed. I got a strange look from my wife as I played it with the sound on when she was in the room near me It does sound a bit suss if you arent watching it

Comment

Originally posted by Presso link=1169640939/0#4 date=1170147022
              A few examples that are perfectly timed:
              Day 8: Thanks Cameron. I looked at the three vids, I noticed he/she doesnt hold it down for the bubbling light crema at the end, but releases the pressure on the arms which gives a "psstch" pressure release out the top/not through the coffee. They also seemed to go on for over 30seconds, I dont think mine go 20seconds of real flow. Should I be using a finer grind for more pressure/longer brewing?

Comment

The pursuit of the ULTIMATE CREMA(said in a gravely pirate voice) is perhaps over rated, It was on one thread of coffeesnobs that I read the advice to someone attempting to make the perfect pour: Take three shot glasses, use one for the first ten seconds of a pour, the second for the second ten seconds and so on...it was a bit tricky with the PRESSO but I was amazed at the difference in mouthfeel/sweetness, not to mention volume in each shot glass.

The grind that Henry uses is very fine, he weighs each PF before pulling the shot and interestingly enough has has some amazing results with a convex tamper altough the ones you saw were with a flat base tamper much like the PULLLMAN TAMPER that we offer on our site, matched perfectly to the PF specs.

Comment

Day 9: (home) my first real experimentation time with espresso, trying to do ristretto. This thread lacks photos, so here is the gear:

This was nearly full PF with double shot of water, I pulled too much, so Id say a double ristretto in the egg cup rather than an espresso because in the regular cup is the rest of the pull.

Double the coffee (full PF), with half the water (1 espresso level), resulting in a ristretto (?) in the egg cup. The regular cup I was just running remainder water through for a macchaito. white

Here is the grind from the second attempt. Needs to be finer (at 16 on EM0480, go back down to 12) to get more pressure and longer extraction like Henrys youtube vids.

I thought my egg-cup ristretto was decent. The first double reminded me of one my friend made on his 3.5bar Breville machine. The second real ristrotto was really short and strong, I now understand what "body" of a ristretto is compared to a double espresso which Ive had a couple times before. I need to use the reducer to use the right coffee for single water shot to try have a single espresso, and then remove the reducer for double coffee to see the difference.

Comment

u dont seem to have much creama there.. i was wonderinf what tamper you r using??

Comment

yeah as mentioned this grind is too coarse, crema fizzles out quickly, so for that and longer extraction need to grind the next batch finer again. the tamper is the presso scoop/tamper.

Comment

Day 12: (home) Grinding directly into the PF now, finer down to 12 on the EM0480. Made a double espresso, much longer extraction now and stronger flavour. Needing to wash that down, I decided to try replicate a cafe purchase, and succeeded!

First heated the milk 30sec, mixed in the 1/2teaspoon sugar now so no stirring required later.

Probably could have just put the sugar in, and frothed, assuming the sugar would be mixed with the frothing. Put the frothed glass into Presso for the double-shot espresso.

Coffee in, looked neat, watching the ongoing wave motion in the glass between the layers was neat.

The white froth was no good, so I was able to shake the espresso around to consume it, gently mixing the layers so it ended up just right.

It tasted lovely, and could have been any of the cafe coffees Ive had this week while lunching in the city.
                        8-)

Comment

You seem to be getting the hang of the Presso. Thank you for all the photos - there are a lot of us who are interested in Presso and arent able to check it out.

Comment

Originally posted by segrave link=1169640939/0#9 date=1170288431
                            u dont seem to have much creama there.. i was wonderinf what tamper you r using??
                            Segrave I have the finer grind going now and extraction is improving, but crema still fizzling out.

Day 13: (home) Similar, but this time half glass of milk, no sugar

Decent long extraction again, pressure kept right to the end so when I release the arms there is the "psstch" like in Harrys youtube videos.

By gently shaking it around I was able to consume the seafoam around the edges ending up with the holy macchiato!

Side shot of the liquid levels. It tasted great again, nicer this time with more milk and without the half-teaspoon sugar I thought.

One wasnt enough, so I did another flat one, starting with this double espresso. I re-shot the same grind to make it longer instead of adding plain hot water. Then a wait and cold milk, no sugar, had something like an iced coffee.

Comment

Hi Stoveboy,

Dont be too concerned about the persistence of your crema.

Here is a shot of a shot from the Brisbane Bean Bay Pick up yesterday. One of the snobs had her first go at the PRESSO.

The grinder was a high end machine capable of excellent consistency, without that you are basically pushing crema up hill with a toothpick.

Have you tried the experiment: remove each of three cups from the stream of espresso at even intervals, taste the difference during the extraction.

Comment

Working...
                              X