Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Syphons/Vaccuum pot brewers

Who has one?

I recently just bought a 2/3 cup syphon for home as I have no machine and thus no way to drink coffee. I hate French Press because it highlights body over acidity and you can never drink the last bit of the cup because of the sediment.

What brewing methods do you use for syphons?

Here is what I have been doing:

1) draw water to top globe
    2) add 7 grams/cup of coffee at a paper filter grind (my filter is cloth)
    3) stir really quickly and allow to brew for 60 seconds
    4) turn off heat and allow the brewed coffee to draw down...this takes 30 seconds to the gurgle.

I have a problem. Even though the coffee is absolutely amazing, I keep finding grounds in the bottom globe. What I think is happening is during the brewing stage (3), the filter keeps on kicking up allowing some of the brewed coffee to pass down from the top globe as well as a few grinds.

During my brewing stage, the draw up to the top globe isnt violent or turbulent....but the filter keeps on kicking up. Any ideas?

I have found the Barismo vac pot basics video invaluable in getting started.

DS

Re: Syphons/Vaccuum pot brewers

Hi David,
    So glad to hear of someone else getting into syphons. For me, it is the best way of brewing coffee, and without doubt the best way of tasting origin characters. Im not, of course, comparing this to espresso, which is a different drink entirely.

I have a Cona B, so the filter system is quite different from yours. Mine is glass, a bit like a big golf tee, but with little stipples on the top surface to allow water through while trapping grinds. Very ingenious, and works very well. In your case, I think part of the problem is that you are grinding too finely. I have found that a much coarser grind than paper filter works best, although finer, perhaps, than most plunger grinds. You will have to experiment here and, of course, increase or decrease the brewing time accordingly. I tend to go for about 1.5 - 2 mins before extinguishing the flame, but this also depends on the coffee, and what you expect to taste in it. I would certainly be using a coarser grind than you are at present.

This should get rid of the problem of fines. If not, then Im not sure theres anything you can do. I dont have experience with the cloth filters, Im afraid. What brand of syphon are you using?

In the case of the Cona, the brew temperature remains at exactly 96 degrees throughout. This will be fixed for your syphon, and probably depends on the water path between bottom and top globes.

Please post your experiences and any tips you learn with this method, as I am keen to see what other experienced tasters can get from them.

All the best with it.

matt

Comment

Im using a Yama....or Yama clone.

TCA-3D model to be exact. At the grind setting I had it on, it produced a wonderfully balanced cup.

I will grind coarser for my next coffee and post back. I will probably let it brew for 1.5 minutes instead of 1 minute because of the coarser grind.

Comment

I dont have one but they look like fun :-)
        Where do you get them?

Does it taste like the clover or is it a different kind of taste?

Comment

I have a bodum santos stovetop syphon bought from ***non site sponsor link removed*** absolutely love it. Mine has a plastic filter bit that sounds similar to the glass one mentioned above. I put boiling water in the bottom jug, have the top part with filter and coffee grinds in it, and place the top part onto into the bottom jug, place the whole lot onto a heat diffuser on my stove, let the water get to the top section, keep it on the heat for about 2 to 3 minutes, then take it off the stove and onto a cork mat.

never have any grounds in my coffee with that and it tastes absolutely fantastic.

Comment

David, try getting hold of a santos plastic filter and modifying to fit. This is what we have done on our Hario and with a bit of modding it works a treat. There is a noticable difference in the cup over paper/cloth filter system too. Ill have a look at work later, I may have a spare you can have.

Comment

David, I have also noticed that the balance of flavours will depend on the coffee, and you will need to change the grind a bit to suit this, not unlike an espresso. My note about grind is a general statement, i.e, I generally find a coarser grind and longer extraction will work better, compared to a paper filter grind. But, obviously, not too coarse. It will also depend on the temperature of your syphon and, to some extent, the capacity (although your size is great). Different models also leave different amounts of water in the bottom brewer. I guess all these things can affect balance.

matt

Comment

Hi Dave,

I can give you all of the skinny at work, but I thought that I might as well post for the benefit of others.

I tend to use quite a lot of coffee at a coarse grind; maybe 30g or so around french press or a bit finer, with a steep time of about 45 seconds to a minute (for the two-cupper), after which it takes about 15 seconds for the coffee to be sucked through into the bottom.

Syphon is exactly like espresso, in that the grind and dose make a massive difference to the cup, so you may need to change from the above default position.

I am using the cloth filter and have had no problems with sediment - perhaps because of the coarse grind. I think that you need to store the cloth filter in a jar of water between use. I do a "blind" syphon before use to clean the cloth filter - Toshis trick. Occasionally, Ill soak the cloth filter with a little Cafetto - probably not surprising, seeing as at some stage I have probably soaked 95% of things that I own in Cafetto ;P

The plastic bodum filter idea is interesting; I always found it much more finnicky in the Santos than the cloth filter ... in fact, the last time that I used the Santos, I think that I put the Hario cloth filter in it!

If you want to borrow the butane burner or the Santos filter, let me know. Actually, if you can be bothered frigging around with it, youre welcome to have my small blowtorch; I never use it now that I have the big one - why would you want to caramelise a brulee in five minutes when you could do it in one? The flame is about right for a syphon - youll just have to come up with a stand for it.

I dont have one but they look like fun Smiley
                Where do you get them?
                Does it taste like the clover or is it a different kind of taste?
                I tried to import some for work about a year ago, but that seems to have fallen through. Your best bet is probably the e-bay. IMHO, the one to get would be the Hario DCA-3 (or DCA-2 if they make it). This gives you the apparently legendary Hario quality with the cleverest stand that I have seen yet. Make sure that you also get the butane burner - the spirit burner is next to useless.

The taste is in the same genre as clover, but you get to manipulate the grind and dose how you want, rather than relying on the barista to get it how you want it. Frankly, most of the time I rate my own syphon coffee over clover when using the same beans, but thats probably just because Im using a different grind and dose. Thats not to say that either is better or worse, just that I have a distinct preference for a different brewing ratio than the clover dudes are using.

Cheers,

Luca

Comment

Oh yeah, dont forget that Mark just wrote up a guide; I think that the steep times are a little long for my tastes, but its worthwhile checking it out:

http://www.coffeegeek.com/guides/siphoncoffee

Comment

siphon is fun and excellent way of brewing great visually when you do it with others around a table. people usually go, ooh ahh... anyway, they are big in asia - taiwan, singapore, and japan but not so much here in australia. i got mine in singapore.

1) draw water to top globe
                    2) add 7 grams/cup of coffee at a paper filter grind (my filter is cloth)
                    3) stir really quickly and allow to brew for 60 seconds
                    4) turn off heat and allow the brewed coffee to draw down...this takes 30 seconds to the gurgle.
                    im not sure if it makes a difference, but i usually put the coffee in the top globe before i draw the water up. by the time all the water has gone up, the coffee should be brewed.

Comment

Thanks guys, I realised I just didnt attach the filter properly which was the sole reason I was getting sediment. Works perfectly now! I love how clean the coffee is....it highlights acidity over body and is the only way I will drink single origin coffee now. And on the plus side, I have something to make coffee at home with...I never did like French Press coffee.

Comment

Originally posted by luca link=1211700762/0#7 date=1211770757
                        Make sure that you also get the butane burner - the spirit burner is next to useless.

Luca
                        I use a portable stove with those butane cartridges. Theyre great and heat up a lot quicker and go down low enough in heat during the brewing stage to maintain that gentle up draw.

Comment

At a particular coffee snobs sponsors shop where we had a recent Qld roast off he was using one of those tea light type candles if thats what theyre called, you know the shallow ones in the aluminium trays, to heat his vacc pot. worked a treat.

Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray C link=1211700762/0#12 date=1211801805
                            worked a treat.
                            a painfully slow treat that is.

Comment

Can someone please explain the Similarities/Differences with these compared to a Moka Pot (Coffee output wise).  

I am still yet to buy a SS moka pot (to replace my damage Aluminium Moka) and might look at getting one of these instead,  I do love the Moka but I find it to be a bit bitter sometimes (which is strange cause I love Turkish/Greek Coffee).  I also tried Plunger and im not sure if im doing it correct but I find it a bit watery for my liking.  

Comment

Working...
                              X