Handpresso - New Gizmo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Handpresso - New Gizmo

I dont think this product has anything to do with Presso that we all know and love but its an interesting gizmo just the same.

Sadly it only uses ESE pods not real coffee.

Works like a push bike pump.

Pump it up, add water and a pod and hit the button to inject 16 bar of pressure into the pod.

http://www.handpresso.com/

Re: Handpresso - New Gizmo

Originally posted by Andy Freeman link=1216283762/0#0 date=1216283759
    I dont think this product has anything to do with Presso that we all know and love but its an interesting gizmo just the same.

Sadly it only uses ESE pods not real coffee.

Works like a push bike pump.

Pump it up, add water and a pod and hit the button to inject 16 bar of pressure into the pod.

http://www.handpresso.com/
    Austin Powers would be passing it off as another of his many Swedish peeney expanders
    ;D....Ugh pods  

Comment

Hi all

Yeah shame about the pods but then maybe some enterprising CSer can make our very own pod maker. A pod is just a pre tamped, 7 gram amount of coffee.

I saw a mechanical, hand operated, tamper at the Aroma Fest. Maybe one can have a device like that but in a special basket in which one places the paper disk first. Then place in the coffee, and then place on top the second paper disk. It then gets tamped but the tamper also presses the edges of the two paper disks together. Just the edges are impregnated with a heat seal plastic. The pod can now be pressed out of the special basket.

We could then roast our own and make our own pods.

Mike

Comment

Oooh - a hundred euro, another 20 for the case, plus shipping makes the Presso look even better!

Chris - sometimes you are a very disturbing man! ;D ;D

Comment

I seem to remember reading about these a while back with suck reviews.

Oh and the appropriate pump jokes went around also.

Comment

Perhaps this is the secret to completing the "Tour De France" looks like a bike pump, just needs the bracket to mount on the bike !

All jokes aside, and even considering the pods (pros and cons), I wouldnt mind one. I am sure the coffee couldnt be as bad as some Ive even paid for.
            For an IT tech out on the road (me) it looks like a great solution to a perplexing problem.

I have considered many various options for a decent coffee (without buying one) while at work. They all fell short of the mark in one way or another.

1: Camping stove and moka pot or 12V car moka pot (there is a nice looking italian made one at Cafe Bianci). I didnt like the idea of combustible fuel / gas in the car and ground coffee could be messy to clean up.

2: syphon: same fuel/gas and bigger mess issue.

3: thermos flask with coffee made at home: STALE.

Hmm, have I justified it enough ???
            Ok, you caught me, I just want another dust collecting (after the novelty wears off) toy.

(checks to see if wife is reading over shoulder)

Now how to get boiling water ?
            Any one seen a 12V jug for the car ?

Wayne.

Comment

Yes.
              I think they take a long time to boil though.

Comment

Wayne you could always combine the stuff on your list :
                thermos of close to hot water,
                12v jug to get to exact temp you want,
                bike pump presso to turn it into coffee.

Wont the wife love that little chemistry set!

Now, what about steamed milk?

Comment

12 V kettles all suck and take 20 minutes to boil 2 cups. Houshold kettles are over 1000W 12V ones are more like 150-250W.

Small propane camping stove with disposable cylinders is about the smallest and fastest option.

Comment

Still looks like something Austin Powers would be making excuses for to me ;D

Comment

Hey I have one,
                      I saw tham in Amsterdam erlier in the year before going onto Norway. Well in Norway you can either drink filter coffee at about $3 a cup or an espresso ( when you can find one ) for about double that !. So on my way back to Norway I bought one from from the airport in Amsterdam 80 Euros on special !. Well the coffee may not be the same as most of us are used to but we were certainly happy very happy, no more filter coffee !
                      I give it a thumbs up, its never going to replace the espresso as we know it but has many other benefits .
                      Pedro

Comment

Whats so bad with filter coffee? :-/

Granted a bad filter can be nasty but a bad espresso is just as insulting.

Comment

Ive seen a virtually identical unit for sale in the US that uses straight ground coffee rather than pods. A much better option IMO.

Java "Gotta love a good toy!" phile
                          Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Comment

Originally posted by 0C273027362E2F2A23460 link=1216283760/12#12 date=1227132490
                            Ive seen a virtually identical unit for sale in the US that uses straight ground coffee rather than pods. A much better option IMO.

Java "Gotta love a good toy!" phile
                            Do you have a web address so we can have a look Javaphile?

Comment

In case you hadnt seen it yet Iconiq http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1240696057

Comment

Working...
                              X