Aeropress filter papers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aeropress filter papers

Ive just about run out of filter papers - Anyone know where i can get replacements via net?

Re: Aeropress filter papers

Originally posted by argon link=1218627286/0#0 date=1218627286
    Ive just about run out of filter papers - Anyone know where i can get replacements via net?
    Gosh, you must drink a lot of coffee - 350 in a pack and reports of being able to reuse them 10x over easily!

Cuppacoffee (me) keep them in stock - postage costs more than the filters!

Comment

Thanks Denis - I have aeropress at work - 2 cups a day - but simplicity is the order of the day, so i dont re-use papers

Comment

I drink 2 x cups per day and mostly just give it a quick rinse and leave it in place. A filter will last me 2 weeks usually.

Ive had my Aeropress for over 2 yrs and still have tons of filters left. I think Ill wear down the sides before I have to buy new filters.

Its pretty straight forward.

Comment

what kind of temperatures and steep times, coffee brands, etc are you aeropress users working with?
          Ive just recieved an aeropress, and after a pound of coffee and a weekend of playing, I have yet to get anything except hot, sour, foul water out of the thing.

Comment

I was using mine in Singapore all last weekend with excellent results.

Here is what I was doing:

. measure out just under one scoop of coffee (I just weighed it at 12g);
            . grind it in a hand grinder (because I was travelling) set at slightly
             coarser than espresso grind;
            . screw in the filter, wet the paper, and add the coffee;
            . bring some water to just boiling, then let it cool for about 30sec;
            . fill the aeropress container to about 3/4 up the oval marked "2"
             (I just measured that at 110ml);
            . pour the water in slowly, and stir gently for about ten seconds;
            . push down slowly and steadily as far as it will go; can be stiff at
             first, the you hear some air hissing;
            . then add some more of the water, to total about 130ml.

The pushing down part takes 20 to 30 seconds.

For aeropress, I prefer fairly fresh coffee, 1 to 7 days post roast.

The above was adapted by experimentation to my tastes from
            the instructions supplied, and the advice sheet at
            sweetmarias.com.

Comment

I use "hazbeans" method except that I heat the water for the AeroPress in the Microwave. Just experimented a bit until I found what time in the m/w brought the water to the correct temperature (85-86C in my case) and then went for it.

I havent had a bad brew out of it yet "juicer" but then, I always use CS high quality beans, freshly roasted just the way I like it and this makes a hell of difference of course. Unless youre using freshly roasted, high quality beans only ground immediately before brewing, Im afraid you will always be behind the 8-Ball no matter what. :-?

Cheers,
              Mal.

Comment

Hello Alan (creator) & all!

I just bought an aeropress because of the cholesterol free factor. I have very high ldl despite a healthy fit vegetarina lifestyle!
                Yet I love my espresso from my cheap Cafe Roma Breville machine. I am thinking that the areopress would be great to leave at work if -

Q. Can I use the areopress filter papers in my Cafe Roma??

I just tried this. I put one paper filter under the basket and one in the basket. A bit anal maybe, but hey!

The coffee came out a second later than usual but poured well. No probs! I got an ok espresso. Not as much crema and a definite paper after taste. I can live with it.

Has anybody else experimented with this? :-?

Comment

Originally posted by 524F4046464D4451545252210 link=1218627287/7#7 date=1239940091

I just bought an aeropress because of the cholesterol free factor. I have very high ldl despite a healthy fit vegetarina lifestyle!
                  Yet I love my espresso from my cheap Cafe Roma Breville machine. I am thinking that the areopress would be great to leave at work if -

Q. Can I use the areopress filter papers in my Cafe Roma??

I just tried this. I put one paper filter under the basket and one in the basket. A bit anal maybe, but hey!

The coffee came out a second later than usual but poured well. No probs! I got an ok espresso. Not as much crema and a definite paper after taste. I can live with it.

Has anybody else experimented with this?  :-?
                  Interesting question. Youd do because you enjoy the taste of paper and want to imitate some sort of pod?? :-?

Comment

[QUOTE=7E21392F242F232A2A2929212D224C0 link=1218627287/8#8 date=1239940455]
                    Originally posted by 524F4046464D4451545252210 link=1218627287/7#7 date=1239940091

Interesting question. Youd do because you enjoy the taste of paper and want to imitate some sort of pod??  :-?

No, I do not enjoy the taste of paper!     I need to filter out the cafestol but want esppresso.  Imitate some sort of pod? :-?

I am going to try my stove top espresso next with the papers!

Comment

Originally posted by 24393630303B3227222424570 link=1218627287/7#7 date=1239940091
                      I just bought an aeropress because of the cholesterol free factor.
                      Are you suggesting espresso coffee from an Aeropress or passed through filter paper contains lower cholesterol than unfiltered espresso?

A quick google led me to this article which refutes the link between unfiltered coffee and raised LDL levels. Other links report that coffee contains antioxidants that impair the oxidation of LDL (oxidised LDL apparently more harmful)

Also, you dont mention the quantity of coffee you drink.

Im sceptical about your belief that those prone to high LDL levels should stick to filtered coffee. Im no medical expert but if I was given this sort of advice, I would be seeking a second or third opinion.

EDIT: OK, a little more researchshows that a sample of 8 men were given 75mg of cafestol daily. This led to about a 30% increase in LDL levels. According to the article, an unfiltered brew like Turkish coffee or French Press contains 3 - 6mg of cafestol so you would need to drink 12 cups a day to attain the 75mg level.

It does not mention espresso machine coffee where the water is in contact with the coffee grounds for less time.

Originally posted by 24393630303B3227222424570 link=1218627287/7#7 date=1239940091
                      :-?

Comment

I can only try and find out!

I have to go back and have a blood test in 6-8 weeks, so I will find out then if it makes any difference!

Hopefully there is no connection. The paper after taste is not good!

Quantity - Usually only one esspresso a day now but can be more. However, I have been drinking unfiltered coffee previously in great ammounts for 15 years. I was a barista for many years and consumed many ristrettos!

I will check out the refuting article. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by 666C796E6E617573000 link=1218627287/10#10 date=1239941674

:-?
                          Yeah, wot Flynn said... :-?

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by 78656A6C6C676E7B7E78780B0 link=1218627287/11#11 date=1239942352
                            I will check out the refuting article. Thanks!
                            Re-read my first post as Ive edited it. There is a link between coffee and cholesterol but given the quantity you currently consume, I dont think you are in danger with one cup a day. Im still not convinced by the claim given the scientific method applied (the subjects didnt consume 15 cups of coffee a day; they receive processed pure cafestol)

Comment

Im still trying to work out who Alan is....

Comment

Working...
                              X