Presso vs aeropress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Presso vs aeropress

Hi guys just wanted to start in my coffee tasting journey. just wondering what the difference in taste between the presso and the aeropress?

thanks

Re: Presso vs aeropress

Originally posted by forth_man link=1222250668/0#0 date=1222250668
    Hi guys just wanted to start in my coffee tasting journey. just wondering what the difference in taste between the presso and the aeropress?

thanks
    Hi fm and welcome to CS!

One tastes like metal and the other tastes like plastic.  ;D  Sorry, just couldnt resist.  

I dont mean to appear curt, but its easier to identify the similarities - neither require electricity and both are very portable.  Everything else is different.

If you use the search feature ^^^^up there^^^^ for either the presso or aeropress youre sure to find lots of info.

Comment

fm it may depend on what your preferred drink is.
      Short black?
      Long Black?
      Flat white?

I drink flat whites and to me and my limited palate theres no difference.
      However drinking a short black will probably show up something to someone with a more trained palate than mine.

Comment

i like flat whites usually but occasionally have espressos

after some researching have decided to go with the cheaper option at the moment

Comment

Before you rush off and but the presso as you like flat whites, have a look at Coffee Syphons as well Welcome too BTW.

Comment

wats Coffee Syphons?

Comment

Look here:
              http://sorrentinacoffee.myshopify.com/collections/vacuum-siphon-syphon-coffee-makers

Comment

Also some discussion here http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1211700762 on Syphons. Great clean tasting coffee and a cool toy to have on the bench top

Comment

thanks guys, have however decided on a aeeropress for the moment. ill see how long that will last me before i want to upgrade

Comment

I have been looking at them too even with Syphons in my collection as the plastic transportability appeals in the camping kit.

enjoy the coffee learning curve, I am

Comment

Funny I just posted this comment on another thread

I have finally realised that some beans suit aeropress or plunger much more than espresso (with a presso)

Eg my lightly roasted Monsoon Malabars are aweful for espresso - Ive gotta use 30 grams of coffee to even get anything like a decent shot. In the aeropress on the other hand the coffee produces great coffee - tasty, sweet and rich.

Now I have beans for espresso at home and beans for work and never the twain shall meet.

By the way the aeropress brew doesnt quite have the ooomph to cut through steamed milk like an espresso shot does. Aeropress shots do taste good with lots of milk tho. In many ways the aeropress coffee is very similar to the stovetop brew.

Comment

Originally posted by forth_man link=1222250668/0#8 date=1222314570
                        thanks guys, have however decided on a aeeropress for the moment. ill see how long that will last me before i want to upgrade
                        I just got an Aeropress. Youre not really upgrading if you got the espresso route later. The Aeropress produces something more like plunger coffee. Youll probably end up owning and using more than one method of making coffee.

Yum.

Comment

Originally posted by recurve boy link=1222250668/0#11 date=1225185544
                          The Aeropress produces something more like plunger coffee.
                          Thats probably not where I would put the coffee made via the AeroPress.... To me, it tastes closer to midway between a good Syphon brew/Drip brew and an Espresso. Much more clarity and delineation of flavours than any of my Plunger brews.

Mal.

Comment

I agree.
                            My wife prefers her long blacks from my AeroPress rather than the espresso machine.
                            Plunger is now not on her radar as a choice.

Comment

Originally posted by beanflying link=1222250668/0#4 date=1222259348
                              Before you rush off and but the presso as you like flat whites, have a look at Coffee Syphons as well Welcome too BTW.
                              Siphon coffee is basically useless in milk, IMHO.

Comment

Working...
                              X