Filter/Drip/Pourover ... I need some help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Filter/Drip/Pourover ... I need some help

My lovely husband procured a Bodum Kona drip-filter for me this week. Im excited - another brewing method to master.

But I dont really know where to start. The box helpfully instructs me to use coarse ground coffee and add hot water. :

I tried a 7g/150ml ratio, ground somewhat coarser than syphon. I found it had a fair bit of body, but the flavours were muddied. I tried coarser again - still muddy.

Any advice on how to achieve a cleaner cup?

Cheers guys!

Re: Filter/Drip/Pourover ... I need some help

It has been a while since I used a drip unit but I was only using a 7g measure per 200ml mug and using Lafartza Preground. I used to pour the filter (gold not paper) only about 1/2 full then top it up fairly often. If you fill the filter section the steep time is to long.

Reason I stopped using it was I prefered Plunger using preground and gave it to my sister.

Maybe try setting the grind to keep the steep time lower sort of syphon style 60-70 seconds average?

I am with you love the coffee variables with all methods have fun playing.

Comment

"Waiter, this coffee tastes like mud."
      "Well sir, it was ground just this morning!"

The instructions I used to use said reasonably fine coffee (normal was percolator grind and very coarse), wet the grounds with hot water, wait 10-20 seconds and then pour through the rest of the water.

I used this for years at Uni. Then I bought an espresso machine and the filter got used at work. Now we have espresso at work, and the filter doesnt get used at all.

Greg

Comment

morning michelle

6 - 7 grams coffee (medium Grind)
        (milder coffees need more coffee than stronger ones
        180mls water
        flow rate 60secs

the preground solid packs you buy from the supermarket are medium grind

need to watch water temp (approx 93 *c) otherwise the bitterness creeps in

as a starting point, try the same grind as you use in your syphon

some coffees made in plungers/Filters/ aeropress, taste better as a black coffee

graham

Comment

Thanks guys. I havent actually used the silly thing since - catching up with my Giotto after a week away

I did find this - http://www.jimseven.com/2007/12/04/the-bodum-kona/ - so apparently Im not the only one struggling :-[

Comment

Had a play this morning.

Used my current syphon grind setting, dosed 10g/100ml and wet the grinds, let them bloom for 40 secs, the poured in the rest of the water very slowly. The Nicaraguan I was using came through nicely - still not quite as clean as I was hoping, but definitely an improvement.

I then did some Masai at 9g/100ml, but kept everything else the same. Im quite happy with the result, but still need to play with all the variables : ... And I think I need to descale my kettle ... :P

I also think really, really light roasts may be the order of the day ...

Comment

Hi Michelle,

Sorry not to come to the party early.  Whilst I use pourover a fair bit these days, I havent really experimented much with the variables, to tell you the truth.

I tend to use some fairly standard settings; about 60gm/L (6g/100mL) and 94-95C brew temperature, maybe a bit cooler if the roast is a bit darker.  If I bring a kettle to the boil and pour directly into the filter, the thermocouple shows that the water temperature sits at 94-95C throughout and the resultant brew tastes fine.  If I let the kettle sit for a few minutes, I can get a lower brew temperature.  (In the words of one eye-talian espresso machine manufacturer; "Peed?  Peed?  What is Peed?")  Mark Princes big gripe about most US/Canadian automatic drip brewing machines is that they dont maintain an acceptable brew temperature, so its pretty funny that the cheapest and lowest tech way to do it does so well.  Grind size is the trickiest variable to get right because it is the most difficult to measure.  All that I can say is that I go pretty coarse and get a brew time of between about 1 and 2 min for 250 mL.  I am sure that this will be a fruitful area for experimentation.  

I note that some people say that espresso grinders dont give the best particle distribution for brewed coffee; the bigass ditting/mahlkoenig/petrocini flat burrs are apparently the best for this.  I think that the theory might be something like espresso needs a certain amount of finer particles to create the right resistance, whereas brewed methods benefit from an even particle distribution for even extraction; other things determine extraction speed.  The Ditting KF1403 is great, but I havent done a head-to-head with an espresso grinder.  It would be a total PITA to get comparable grind size.  I guess that the way to do it would be to adjust so that you got the same brew time for the same dose.

The difference between filters is probably also worth thinking about. Unfortunately, the awesome swissgold #2 cone doesnt seem to be available in Aus, so I havent yet experimented with gold vs paper. I have a few of the awesome filtropa papers left; if you PM me your address, Ill stick a few in an envelope and send them to you. I will also see if we can get someone in Aus to import them for us. I am burning through them at an alarming rate.

Hope that helps,

Luca

Comment

Originally posted by luca link=1223023857/0#6 date=1223861466
                Unfortunately, the awesome swissgold #2 cone doesnt seem to be available in Aus
                Hey mate, I saw some of these when I was in Melbs. Ill pm you when I remember where :

Ive attached the Bodum one I have. The pic may come out brutally small so Ill see if I can find a better one. I picked it up for $27 on the Bay, but apparently they retail for $150+ Its not swissgold, but similar. I havent actually mucked around with it yet (one thing at a time). Maybe next time you come around, Michelle, we can check it out. I do have a swissgold #2 cone floating around somewhere too and I think a flat one cup swissgold I got a while back.... too many toys. :-/

Comment

Cheers, Luca - PM coming your way. Thanks!

Your comment about espresso grinders is resonating - even at quite a coarse grind I was surprised at the fine sludge that I got in the bottom of the carafe.

Dan, I reckon the one youve pictured is exactly the same as mine except for the carafe is a different shape. Maybe ...

Comment

Hey Dan, thanks for that, Ill pick one up today.

The #1 swissgold is widely available, but its wierd. The filter is flat across the bottom, as opposed to being cone shaped. In addition, you need a #2 or higher if you want to cut the mesh out for a makeshift siphon filter.

Cheers,

Luca

Comment

Ooh, fun experimenting today. Thanks for those Filtropa papers. Michelle and I had a play with them today with the Malawi Mzuzu Khanga Gesha I roasted up the other day. We had some interesting results.

Bodum Goldfilter produced a murky looking cup. There was a definite distinction between of colour in the cup. Super fine sediment at the bottom, which kinda added to the flavour when stirred up. It was more syrupy that the paper filter. Nothing overtly offensive in the cup. Had great body. Maybe had a tad more sweetness... just...maybe?

Filtropa filter paper prodused a very different cup visually. A consistent colour right through the cup. No murkiness, but rather more tea like consistency. Very clean, not as much body as the Goldmesh. I think both Michelle and I agreed that this was an all round cleaner cup.

Its a bugger cos there was more, but I cant remember. :-/

Both cups were very drinkable, but did taste different.... and thats the bit I cant remember how

Maybe youve got something to add or disagree Michelle?

Comment

Originally posted by YeeZa link=1223023857/0#10 date=1224337366
                        Ooh, fun experimenting today. Thanks for those Filtropa papers. Michelle and I had a play with them today with the Malawi Mzuzu Khanga Gesha I roasted up the other day. We had some interesting results.

Bodum Goldfilter produced a murky looking cup. There was a definite distinction between of colour in the cup. Super fine sediment at the bottom, which kinda added to the flavour when stirred up. It was more syrupy that the paper filter. Nothing overtly offensive in the cup. Had great body. Maybe had a tad more sweetness... just...maybe?

Filtropa filter paper prodused a very different cup visually. A consistent colour right through the cup. No murkiness, but rather more tea like consistency. Very clean, not as much body as the Goldmesh. I think both Michelle and I agreed that this was an all round cleaner cup.

Its a bugger cos there was more, but I cant remember. :-/

Both cups were very drinkable, but did taste different.... and thats the bit I cant remember how  

Maybe youve got something to add or disagree Michelle?

Indeed. Luca - thank you for the papers - I love them!

Dans right, both cups were very drinkable, and I reckon I could happily use either.

Personally, I had a preference for the papers - so clean, crystal clear brew, all the nuances preserved. The gold-mesh does quite well - it is a bit sludgier, and quite cloudy, but it still makes for a nice cup. Interestingly enough, I actually thought there was more body present through the paper - though the gold-mesh brew was more viscous and syrupy. I’m not sure if youre allowed to separate body and viscosity - but that was my impression.

Im going to put the filtropa up against some el-cheapo, nasty paper today to see how that goes.

Comment

Originally posted by Michelle link=1223023857/0#11 date=1224362075
                          Im going to put the filtropa up against some el-cheapo, nasty paper today to see how that goes.
                          Ok, did it with the Filtropa and some Harris ones. Hardly rigorous scientific testing, but I did try to keep everything the same - stuck to my 9g/100ml, same steep time, tried to pour at the same rate.

There is a definite difference, IMHO. I can taste the paper with the Harris ones, and there is this kinda manky-astringent-chemically note thats really unpleasant. With the filtropas there seems to be more sweetness, more aromatics, and I think there is a bit more body ... very pleased with the results I achieved with them.

Like I said, a one-off test is very scientific, but I am pretty sure these papers are fantastic.  

Comment

ok, so had another go this morning after yesterdays revelations. I used the SwissGold filter as opposed to the Bodum. No difference IMO. Visually looks exactly the same, tastes the same.

Michelle, I think you got it right in the body of the goldfilter (and paper too). I think it more viscous, but less body with the gold. Though I found that when I mixed it around that changed (is that do-able?), body became more balanced, top to bottom. And yeah, if you let it sit (gold filter) theres that seperation in the body as well as visually. The Filtropa has more body, less viscousity, seemingly better balanced. I poured it super slow this time around too to see if that made any difference - seems to have more pungence, dunno.

Comment

Interesting stuff. While I have had both in the past never did any side by side testing.

Similar to this my first Kono Syphon (Japanese) was designed for paper filters between 2 clamp rings, tried a few brews with these but I was having to cut Melitta papers which was a pain so I sewed up a muslin cloth one. Instant flavour improvement more bright flavours and better all round. Currently changed to Yami Filter insert and commercial cloth filters. Seems the cloth must allow more of the oils past than commercial papers? Is there a local source for the Filtropa papers?

I have just got hold of a Metal Vac pot (camping toy ) with a metal filter rod so more playing in the next few days and see how it goes by comparison.

Comment

Working...
                              X