which type of stove top espresso pot?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• which type of stove top espresso pot?

Gday all, can anyone advise me on which type of stove top espresso pot is better, Aluminium of stailnless steel? Ive been searching all over the internet for some information but cant seem to find any. Any recomendations on brand/models would also be appreciated. Thanks

Re: which type of stove top espresso pot?

Welcome to Coffee Snobs scruffy.

Aluminium is now known to contribute to Alzheimers so is out of favour these days as a cooking utensil metal.

I would prefer to use stainless steel.

Comment

Originally posted by Thundergod link=1225892643/0#1 date=1225925880

Aluminium is now known to contribute to Alzheimers
      Incorrect. The hypothesis that aluminium caused Alzheimers came about in the 60s and was due to the presence of aluminium in the brains of people with Azheimers. Thats called circumstantial evidence. The hypothesis remains unproven, particularly as there is as much evidence that the same levels of aluminium exists in normal brains. Most of our aluminium intake is excreted via the kidneys, and most of our intake is likely to come from anti perspirants, tea, and antacids.

If you would like to avoid Alzheimers youd be better off reading a good book about espresso than avoiding an aluminium utensil.

Comment

Welcome to Coffee Snobs scruffy.

Aluminium is now known to contribute to Alzheimers so is out of favour these days as a cooking utensil metal.

I would prefer to use stainless steel.
        I would prefer SS as well as aluminium is a more reactive substance and more likely to taint the flavour.
        As to the link between aluminium and Alzheimers this has never been clearly established and experts suggest a secondary effect at worst. Aluminium  has been been subject to similar health scare mongering that caffeine has been

Check here (and what Den just beat me to in the previous post)

Comment

I wont doubt your info Dennis but circumstantial or not Ill avoid the aluminium.

As a side note though, having grown up during the 60s and 70s, I dont remember the reports about the connection to Alzheimers being mentioned until the late 70s (maybe thats a sign).

Up until then wed been using aluminium pots and pans for many years.

Comment

Originally posted by Thundergod link=1225892643/0#4 date=1225930268
            As a side note though, having grown up during the 60s and 70s, I dont remember ....
            Exactly - who does? Whats the saying, if you remember the sixties, you werent there.

I grew up in the 60s and 70s too and the sort of pot that was used then wasnt just the aluminium type

Comment

Hi all,

given the contact time of the water I wouldnt be to concerned about aluminium leeching into the brew. Some water supplies use Aluminium Hydroxides of one sort or another as a floc sediments out so be more worried about that I think Storing water over time or long boiling would be more of a worry.

Also bear in mind that Aluminium comes in many and varied versions. The more pure (like some of the old cooking pots) the worse the likelyhood of leeching especially when it is old and pitted.

BTW My Duralax Aluminium (Dural) Syphon tastes fine

Comment

if you use aluminum cookware that has oxidised it will taste disgusting. Tastes ok once you scrub off the oxide though.

I would avoid aluminim if I had a choice.

Comment

Originally posted by flynn_aus link=1225892643/0#5 date=1225930712

I grew up in the 60s and 70s too and the sort of pot that was used then wasnt just the aluminium type

Thats what ive heard. Hehehehehe..

Back on topic, i have a lovely shiny ss stovetop which i use for camping trips, and i much prefer it to the aluminium one i used to own. Feels much more quality. They do cost a fair bit more, but coffee is worth it i think.

Comment

And yet you have a machine with Aluminium Thermoblocks :

Comment

Originally posted by beanflying link=1225892643/0#9 date=1225943493
                      And yet you have a machine with Aluminium Thermoblocks  :
                      Thats because it made them forget. ;D

Comment

Originally posted by beanflying link=1225892643/0#9 date=1225943493
                        And yet you have a machine with Aluminium Thermoblocks  :
                        Aret they sleeved with stainless-steel though?

Comment

Some things i cant yet afford, smartarse.

Comment

:-*

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis link=1225892643/0#2 date=1225928670

Aluminium is now known to contribute to Alzheimers
                              Incorrect.  The hypothesis that aluminium caused Alzheimers came about in the 60s and was due to the presence of aluminium in the brains of people with Azheimers.  Thats called circumstantial evidence.  The hypothesis remains unproven, particularly as there is as much evidence that the same levels of aluminium exists in normal brains.  Most of our aluminium intake is excreted via the kidneys, and most of our intake is likely to come from anti perspirants, tea, and antacids.

If you would like to avoid Alzheimers youd be better off reading a good book about espresso than avoiding an aluminium utensil.

Funny thing about that. I was talking to my uncle (an anesthetist) and apparently it is now thought that during these studies the aluminium got into the brains not during the person life but rather because the water the washed the brains with wasnt deionized properly. Thus leaving deposits of aluminium on the brain.

A real doh moment

Comment

Working...
                              X