Syphon/Drip/Filter/Plunger ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Syphon/Drip/Filter/Plunger ???

Aside from espresso machines, how else do you enjoy your coffee???

Or is it a case of Espresso only???

Re: Syphon/Drip/Filter/Plunger ???

I love my syphon and filter brews. Mmm!

Im probably 50/50 brewed/espresso at the moment.

Not such a fan o the plunger. But maybe I just never mastered it.

Comment

I always thought the syphon would burn the coffee with the boiling water, but yet it is one of my fav methods, especially with a nice Yirgacheffe.

Filters are also really good. Kenyans go down well here.

Plungers are fiddley and you have to watch the temp and time, but well worth the effort. A quick way to test and share a new roast.

Comment

Havent used Drip for a long, long time but certainly enjoy my brews from the others you have listed plus my AeroPress (purchased from CuppaCoffee several months ago). In order of preference, twould be:

Dead Heat for AeroPress and Syphon, 8-)
        Filter, then
        Plunger.

For me, there isnt a big gap between the various methods and I spose Espresso would slide in between the first and second line. Theyre all excellent though and it probably comes down to the style of coffee being brewed, more than anything else, which decides (for me) which brew method Ill use on any given day.

Mal.

Comment

I am rediscovering joy with plunger now that I am using the trick of cooling down the plunger first in fridge, then pour boiling water, stir then put freshly ground coffee in.

The method reliably gives 92-94 degree C.

Comment

Sounds dangerous.
            Cold to hot so quickly.

Why not just use a thermometer to measure 92-94 then put the coffee in?

Comment

Im a huge fan of what I like to call brewed coffee - being basically anything other than espresso and moka pot. My consumption is dictated by the coffee that I have on hand. I find that roasts that taste good for espresso seldom taste good for brewed coffee and vice-versa, so Ill just go with whatever best showcases the coffee that I have on hand.

Siphon is probably my favourite. Its a bit fiddly, but it gives you control over every aspect of brewing ... perhaps even more so than espresso, seeing as the steep time is not dependent on the grind. It takes a bit of work to keep everything nice and clean, but its worth it. Im getting a lot faster at it - I can probably get it cleaned, make coffee and get it back in the box in 5-10 minutes now, so its not that much of a chore.

MaxPower - siphon does not use boiling water. The water boils at the bottom and the steam forces water from the bottom of the globe to the top. My measurements show that by the time the water gets into the top section, it has fallen to 89-92 degrees. It is possible to keep the gas burner running and bring the temperature up to 95C.

I love filter with bleached filter paper for its clean cup, speed and ease of use. If you ever wanted a method for work, this is it. Filter can deliver a very similar cup to siphon. In the USA, coffee dudes complain that few of the automatic drip machines actually produce water at a hot enough temperature and I think that that is true here, based on a taste comparison between a commercial drip unit and a k-mart drip unit. By comparison, I found that pourover using water fresh off the boil delivered a temperature of about 94C, which only fell by about a degree during the brew process. You also dont have to brew 2L of coffee, as you would have to with many automatic brewers. Not bad for a $10 plastic cone!

Plunger is my least favourite. I feel that it produces a bit more of a bitter cup than everything else and those things are ridiculously difficult to clean, for some reason. Im not sure what it is - perhaps a lot of gunk gets stuck between the several layers that stack up to make the filter. I think that you probably need to clean them with cafetto after every use and take the filters apart to scrub them to prevent them developing that smoky smell that just will not leave. Mark Prince (of coffeegeek.com) now scoops the ground coffee out of the plunger before pressing down.

Rudy, I always found that water right off the boil was fine if you put the coffee in the bottom of the plunger and trickled the water down the side.

I think that its probably easier to get a great roast for brewed coffee than it is for espresso. That being the case, I think that one of the best things that someone new to coffee who wanted to start roasting could do would be to stick with the same commercial blend for several months whilst learning to extract espresso and start roasting for a brewed method for a few months before putting it together to roast for espresso when they are confident.

Cheers,

Luca

Comment

Originally posted by luca link=1226941818/0#6 date=1227061838
                and those things are ridiculously difficult to clean, for some reason. Im not sure what it is - perhaps a lot of gunk gets stuck between the several layers that stack up to make the filter. I think that you probably need to clean them with cafetto after every use and take the filters apart to scrub them to prevent them developing that smoky smell that just will not leave.
                Agree with you on this one too Luca,

And, as it happens, I do use Cafetto on the Plunger Filter Assy after every use :... Its the only way to get the bugger clean ready for the next brew. Another reason why it only comes out of the cupboard when we have more guests visiting than can be coped with easily using the other coffee making methods.

Gotta keep everything clean if you want to enjoy nice, fresh coffee every time....

Mal.

Comment

Originally posted by Thundergod link=1226941818/0#5 date=1227055538
                  Sounds dangerous.
                  Cold to hot so quickly.

Why not just use a thermometer to measure 92-94 then put the coffee in?
                  Guess, it is quicker since I dont have to wait for cooling down. Have done it many times, maybe one day it will give up and make a big mess

Agree with Luca that plunger tend to give bitter cup, however since I do this cold glass with hot boiled water, it seemed to help. There is a new type plunger that only has single layer, but the ground/brew separation is compromised.

Aeropress is a lot more forgiving than plunger. My favourite is still vacuum brewing, but this method is not very portable.

Comment

Hi Rudy and all,

check out ferralbay for Nicro or Dural Vac pots. Nicro as the name suggests is Stainless and the other is Aluminium. I have a Dural one in my camping kit .

Apart from that call me Syphon boy about 2/3 of the time (1/3 Latte), Plunger if no other choice and I no longer own a drip filter brewer. In flavour preference Vac, Drip then plunger.

Main reasons to go plunger is brew simplicity and cost of brewer but thats about it. It takes me 6 or 7 minutes to make a syphon and clean up. Beans get ground (Zassenhaus) while the kettle boils Time for Syphon and plunger are about the same due to the longer steep time with plunger (generally).

Comment

Hey, thats neat, like the idea of metal vac pots, where do you get them?

Comment

Evilbay - Feralbay - The place that can not be named

I got mine at .95 USD to the Aussie peso so it only cost me a little over $60 landed. As far I as I have seen there is no one making them in the world in metal anymore BTW the Nicros are selling for over $50 USD and about the same for frieght so not cheap. The Duralax or non nicro ones are only getting to $15-20USD +frieght.

Had a count up I think I actually have 6 syphons and the balance brewer at the moment ;D

Comment

Thanks Luca for the temp guide on the Syphon. In theory I thought the temp would remain close to boiling, but upon drinking it, the coffee does not taste burnt. I could only guess it cooled down below 95 by the taste. Good to know this for sure Luca, Cheers.

As for the popular opinion that plunger is not considered a good option, I would have to disagree.

I find if you grind a little finer than most plunger guides recommend, add water when it cools to 92-94 as THUNDERGOD recommends also, sit it for no longer than 3-4 minutes and poor straight away into a pre-heated cup, it will not show any bitter signs and is very similar taste to the cupping method roasters use to distinguish origin flavors.

I recommend trying it out again and noting down grind and brew times to achieve max results.

Comment

Give a Syphon a try you get a much brighter cup with more easily discernable flavours.

Plunger by comparison is more muted or muddled (misses the subtle berry/spice etc) and smooth with the same bean, not to mention more muddy. BTW I use a finer grind in plungers and a little more bean than recommended as well and only steep for 2-3 minutes so bitterness is not as much as a problem. Finer and shorter seems to work better but the Syphon is better on all fronts.

Comment

I have to agree with you beanflying. I have always used plungers for tasting my roasts, but after arriving in Japan and trying coffees through a Syphon it is defiantly my fay brew method now. It nails my fav coffee - Yirgacheffe.

I am shopping for one now, they range in price in Japan from AUD $35 - $100. I think they are becoming more available in Aus now too?

Comment

Working...
                              X