Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone tried those plunger in a cup things ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone tried those plunger in a cup things ?

..plasticy mugs with plunger that fits into the mug for making a plunger coffee on the go . Am doing 2 weeks in Bali soon - and thought a 500g bag of Coffee Snobs blend and littel home plunger should see me through.....then noticed these things for $16 in local cafe yesterday. Might be less hassle than taking glass plunger with me on planes etc. Does anyone have experience with these????

Re: Anyone tried those plunger in a cup things ?

Hmm, as long as you drink it fast-ish. Im not real keen on letting the coffee steep with the plunged grounds at the bottom of the cup. Thats just me though. Although you could pour it into another cup right away... but then youre probably better off taking a proper plunger. Just a thought.

Comment

...oh and 2 weeks in bali doesnt seem half bad.... hope the surf treats you well...lucky.

Comment

Hey Grapsta ... depending on where youre going to be in Bali, try out their local coffee offerings. You know, when in Rome...

I was in Ubud about 12 years ago, and had a rich, flavoursome long black - not sure how it was prepared, but it came out very much like a Turkish coffee. Very strong & syrupy, with a mud-like slick of grind in the bottom. Drink it with your teeth clenched to avoid a gob full of sloppy grind! ;D

Dont order a milk based coffee though - the version my partner got back then was a long black, with a couple of those little UHT containers on the side for her to pour into the cup. :P

Heres a quick looksie at highly sophisticated Balinese roasting processes ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvahR7CT11o

:

Comment

loving that youtube clip. will deffo drink bali style coffee...and hunt out some good espresso too when in ubud and seminyak....but i drink 3-4 cups a day and dont wanna pay each time. even bali prices. limited budget. thinking a nice brew in the morning will stop me being tempted by the filter coffee that comes with the free brekkie. although ill be so happy being in Bali that wil prob taste good too.

am in lombok half the time so good coffee will be harder to find there i think. sengiggi maybe ok but not kuta,lombok.

loving that youtube clip

Comment

You could always strap a civet to your backpack as a contingency plan!;D

Make sure his papers are in order for the ferry ride to Lombok though ... & maybe a stock of nappies to catch his catch

(And dont let him anywhere near those old Bali women on the ferry with stained teeth constantly chomping on some weird crimson berry thingies, who smile constantly at you with their friendly yet disturbing denture set-up)

Oh, & thankyou grapsta ... you have inspired a unique business idea in my head for coffee adventure travels. Experiencing so many regions of the world is a travel dream for most of us, but coupled with seeing/tasting/experiencing varied regions and their bean offerings that we only see from afar in Oz as greens is surely an impetus for CSers to get off their collective buts, and do it.

Andys got his fair crack first project happening in Africa as an example of how we could relinquish a few luxuries every day to save for a joint journey to such a region - doesnt have to be Africa, but could be in Bali/Lombok/Aceh ... to witness at hand what we get on BeanBay, & appreciate the effort that goes into processing what is the basis of locals livelihood. And, yeah, give a hand.

Any thoughts?

Comment

GReat idea ( the coffee travel ..and the civet backpack! )

Comment

Back on track, I have used one of those plunger mugs for quite a few years now.
                since I have to travel around a bit for work, the easiest way to get a decent coffee is carry some of my fresh beans, grind them in the car, or at the office, with my old hand grinder more or less as close to brew time as possible.

The plunger mug has been a great thing to have, often drink out of it directly with no problems, occasionally willl brew in it and pour into another cup.
                Certainly is more robust than a normal glass plunger for travelling.
                Definitely requires thorough clean out asap after use, and occasional soak of the plunger part in some espresso machine cleaner.

Bullitt

Comment

Working...
                X