Percolator question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Percolator question

Hello, I have a question about my electric percolator. At times, it seems like the coffee coming out of it is very watery and weak, despite the fact that I use the exact same amount of coffee and water each time. This never used to happen, and it seems to be happening more and more frequently as time goes by. Is this a sign that my percolator is messing up and I need a new one, or is this just something that sometimes happens? I cant see why itd be happening, since like I said I use the same amount of the same brand of coffee and the same amount of water each time, but sometimes it just turns out weak and watery. Also, Im doubting it has anything to do with my recipe, since sometimes just out of curiosity Ive added more coffee than normal/less water than normal and it still turns out the same way.

Has anyone had similar problems before? Any solutions? Time to get a new dingus?

Re: Percolator question

Gday "EC",

Unfortunately, coffee percolators arent all that common here in Australia these days. Most simple brewing methods used would be Drip, Plunger, Moka Pot, Pour-over, etc. No doubt though, someone here will have some knowledge and experience with percolators and will be able to offer some advice.

If the worst should happen though, and your machine is cactused and being the dedicated black coffee consumer.... You could give some thought to trying out a Syphon Brewer. These simple brewers make the best black coffee Ive ever tasted and are very simple and straight forward to use. Heres a link to an online store in your neck of the woods, just to give you an idea of what they are and how much you can expect to spend...

Cheers mate,
    Mal.

Comment

Hows the crema with the Dr Frankenstein kit? Is there a lot of it, very noticeable, etc? Its definitely something I want to buy, even if just for the novelty, but Ive used every other method that I know of and the percolator always comes out on top.

Like in Australia though, the percolator isnt that popular in America. Before the 1970s when the paper-filter drip machines came out, percolators were the only coffee pots found in American homes, but since then I believe somewhere between 50-75% of Americans use drip machines.

Comment

Originally posted by El Capitan link=1228434358/0#2 date=1228519660
        Hows the crema with the Dr Frankenstein kit? Is there a lot of it, very noticeable, etc?
        Not even the smallest dollop "EC".... Just beautiful, smooth full bodied coffee that you can keep drinking forever.

Originally posted by El Capitan link=1228434358/0#2 date=1228519660
        Its definitely something I want to buy, even if just for the novelty, but Ive used every other method that I know of and the percolator always comes out on top.
        Well, you know what they say mate, variety is the spice of life. Even if you really love the way a percolator does the job, theres a lot to appreciate with a syphon brew done properly.

If you know of any Japanese restaurants close to your locality, there will be a good chance that they will have Syphon Brewers on hand. This might be one way to try before you buy

Mal.

Comment

Working...
        X