time for a syphon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• time for a syphon

I had someone asking me for a present idea - so a syphon with burner from sorrentina coffee has been ordered. I really have no idea how what I should be doing with it. Can anyone point me to some good pre-xmas reading? (the more detailed better). Other than that, i will make sure I have some lighter roast ready to put through my other present - the super jolly.

Re: time for a syphon

I dont know about reading material but I believe Mal (the Mod) has one of those.
    He should be able to give some clues on how to get a good coffee out of it.

Comment

damian1, welcome to the club.
      Heres athread started a little bit ago:

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1222173535

Might get you on your way.

Comment

thanks. yeah I think it was that thread that got me thinking I wonder what this is like! On a re-read of it there is a lots of info, but as always it sounds like lots of experimentation required.

Damian.

Comment

I guess something to start by is; boil the water, wait for it to come right up, grind your beans about 3 whole numbers on the SJ coarser, or around the filter/plunger mark... grind maybe about 8g per cup (1 cup on most syphons seems to be about the 120ml mark). Once the water has been drawn to the top globe, dump in the coffee, stir it around to saturate all the grounds, start your stopwatch, when it hits 45 secs, kill the heat, and give it one last stir, 3-4 laps sounds good, and let her rip. This seems to be a good place to start.
          When youre drinking it, remember its no espresso, so dont expect and large amounts of body. And maybe use something that is a bit lighter roast, maybe something that generally has high acidity notes.... if you want. Maybe try the brew at cooler temps too. Quite often I dont drink them until theyve reached almost room temp.
          I guess the most important variables are the steep time and the dose. Besides the beans themselves, these seem to be the variables that effect the outcome of the cup the most.

Obviously not the definitive and only method, but its a good place to start I reckon.

YeeZa

Comment

Hi Damian,

welcome to the Syphon Society In preparation for it get a couple of lighter roasts ready for Christmas morning. Currently enjoying the more recent PNG beans just to the first snaps of second crack. Indian TM for a bit more spice is good too.

cheers

Comment

Originally posted by Thundergod link=1228908801/0#1 date=1228909125
              I dont know about reading material but I believe Mal (the Mod) has one of those.
              He should be able to give some clues on how to get a good coffee out of it.

Comment

Thanks for that yeeza. I will do that. Yes Im sure I read somewhere the body will be lots less. I am a big fan of heavy bodied coffees, wines, etc, but if it is good in other ways I will enjoy. Like you say, something with "high acidity notes". This exactly what I had planned for it - I have some from beanbay that I find a touch acidic, and not overly pleasant as espresso. This is my planned method to do something with these cofees I have bought but dont like as espresso. I will also do some PNG (wahgi AA) as you suggest beanflying. the other bean I am having trouble getting much out of as espresso is a sumatra mandehling - maybe it didnt like my slightly darker roast, but i found it really light and plain. Im wondering if thisone will go well with syphon as well?

Comment

I have a bag of the Sumatra I havnt tried yet either, today is roasting day 3 done for the morning and a couple to do over a beer or two tonight of a few different ones. The Wahgi is great BTW I think I prefer it in the Syphon to Espresso as it really brings out the chocolatey flavours. The best thing about the Syphon is the clean taste and the fact that you can identify the flavours so easily. Also it is a quicker brew from start to finish than waiting for a machine to come up to temp in the mornings.

BTW I have sort of settled on 7g/100ml and still using the coffee in the top chamber and letting the water come up past it. Initial stir to wet the beans, middle stir at around 30 seconds and a last one as the burner is turned off. Gradually winding the burner back once the water is all at the top and off at 70 seconds. Teatowel on the botom chamber to speed the drawdown just a little after killing the flame.

Happy Playing.

Comment

Just ordered one to play with over xmas

Comment

At least I wont be the only one most likely drinking bad coffee at xmas!

Comment

Originally posted by beanflying link=1228908801/0#8 date=1228955616
                        The best thing about the Syphon is the clean taste and the fact that you can identify the flavours so easily.
                        Happy Playing.
                        yep I hope I find this too - then I can expand from my very limited ability to pinpoint any particular taste. At teh moment it has to stand out pretty clearly in espresso for me to spot it.

Comment

It is fairly hard to make a really bad coffee with a Syphon. About the only off ones I remember were to much bean and to heavier roasts. The instructions that came with my Kono showed 10g/100ml which is to heavy for my liking but could have been diluted I guess.

It seems to be more forgiving than an espresso machine IMHO. Adjust the grind to about White Sugar or a little finer and follow either Yeezas or my method both work fine.

Other than that make sure you dont brew for to long 60-70 seconds is as long as you want to run even less is worth a go down to 40-45 seconds to taste.

Comment

Originally posted by damian1 link=1228908801/0#10 date=1228963849
                            At least I wont be the only one most likely drinking bad coffee at xmas!
                            I like the way you just assume I will not get this right ;D
                            But seriously, there is always the standby espresso machine

I do look forward to learning a new reason to roast differently and a new way to make coffee.

I am also looking forward to buying some butane

Comment

Your Syphons were shipped this afternoon folks. Thanks for the business.   Should both get there monday/tuesday. Be sure to get a can of lighter butane gas ready- or have some metho on hand ;-).

Agree with the comments here: Vac Pots are forgiving. Even the bad ones are drinkable to my mind. Overdosing does seem to be about the worst thing you can do- unless you need real jolt and to hell with the flavour. Grind doesnt seem to critical with the cloth filter even quite fine grinds seem to work OK.

Comment

Working...
                              X